PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks Arc Haul or ULA Circuit?

Mountain Wildman
06-24-2015, 18:09
Hello Hikers,
I'm looing for advice on the ZPacks Arc Haul vs. the ULA Circuit backpack, especially from those who already have the Arc Haul since I have not been able to find many reviews on it. I've narrowed it down to these two packs, I'm hoping to thru-hike the A.T. next year and my current pack weight is 25 lbs. without food and water. I may be able to cut it down a couple of pounds if I eliminate some luxuries. My current pack is a Mystery Ranch Trance XXX which accounts for 4 1/2 pounds of the 25 lbs.
I may just use it on my thru-hike but switching to a 26 oz. Arc Haul or 2 1/2 lb. Circuit would be an easy way to trim 2 to 3 lbs. off of my total pack weight.
I would like the pack to last longer than one thru-hike and I'm not sure how durable the ZPacks Arc Haul would be, I've seen many reviews of ULA packs and they seem to be very durable.
25 to 35 lbs. should not be a problem for me to carry but less is better, right?
Thank you for any advice!

gbolt
06-24-2015, 18:37
I am carrying a little lighter weight than you are, so I went with the ULA Ohm. Like you, I really considered the ZPacks options; however the data was very incomplete. The one person that gave a good review but stated that the Zpack was worn after his thruhike was a YouTube guy named RedBeard. He is doing the PCT right now and I believe he is using the same pack.

So why did I chose ULA. It was a cost and timing issue. I did not want to put out the cost for a Thru Hike that may not occur for three or four more years. It I was leaving this spring or next, I may have decided differently.

The ULA is more traditional with straps and adjustments that I still wanted, yet, on a lighter weight pack. The Ohm 2.0 comes in at 29 oz. Cuben Fiber is expensive so I decided not to purchase at this time.

My advice is for you to decide what your overall purpose for the purchase is going to be. Mine include many trips and years before the Thru. The ULA met my needs at the price I was willing to pay. I did the same thing with an Edge Tarp vs. the HG 3S Cuben Fiber Palace. I am sure I will purchase that Tarp at a later date when my Thru Hike is confirmed.

In my opinion your weight may be too heavy for the Zpack. The Circuit is the right call for what you are currently carrying. Weight should be a major consideration in your choice as well.

saltysack
06-24-2015, 19:10
I don't have any experience with the zpacks pack personally but I do have one of their cuben food bags which is definitely wearing much faster than any material on my circuit...With your current weight you are near the max load of either pack if you add food and water for a multi day trip. U should easily get base under 16lbs. Both companies have great support but ULA has my vote...however I'm not a gram weenie...my avg base wt is around 12-14lbs depending on season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
06-24-2015, 20:13
If the circuit fits you its great. The 3 torso lengths dont fit everyone, and raising the belt on a long torso is a really bad way to adjust.
The zpacks can be bought in the length you need. Dont underestimate the difference it can make.

Ive got an Ohm, and a circuit, and my goto pack is my arc blast, if that says anything. Water resistance is a huge +, thats most of the reason got the arc.

Coffee
06-24-2015, 20:38
The circuit is a great pack and very durable. After 2200 miles on mine the only wear is a tiny hole at the very bottom that I'm patching with tenacious tape and the hip belt pockets. It is a terrific pack. That being said, the arc haul looks amazing as well and should wear much more slowly than a cuben pack like the arc blast. I have a Zpacks tent and other products and they make great gear.

Mountain Wildman
06-25-2015, 00:38
Thanks for the responses, I have seen Red beard's review of the Arc Blast and I have several cuben sacks. They do wear through with hard item contact which is why I was looking at the Dyneema Arc Haul. ULA seems to be a more tried and true option but the Arc Haul is a pound lighter than the Circuit.

MuddyWaters
06-25-2015, 01:50
I have had hard items cause wear damage on arc blast, including the frame itself. Cuben hybrid is not indestructible.

It is easily repaired,quickly and permantly, with tape and adhesive patches.

Gear doesnt need to last forever.

I cant speak of the arc haul, but the arc blast is a great pack for 15-25 lbs. The simple hipbelt is very comfortable and snug. The design keeps hard items off back without padding. It doesnt lean away, or need load lifters at all with right torso length. Theres something very "right" about how it petforms.

I would try them both, return the one you like least.

bigcranky
06-25-2015, 07:56
I have both packs. My Arc Haul arrived this week, and goes on its maiden voyage over the holiday. I have used the Circuit for more than five years, and there are three of them in the house....

Some thoughts after initial loading of the new pack:

1. They are both well made, as I would expect.

2. The Arc Haul appears to have a larger main compartment. It's made entirely of the Dyneema fabric, and is totally seam taped on the inside (!!!). The Arc Haul also has a better side compression system (similar to the ULA Ohm). The larger main bag cuts both ways, of course -- I won't be able to fill it during summer hikes, but it will work great in the winter, and I am trying to own only one pack.

3. I think I am going to love the Arc system, which gets the pack body away from my back. The Circuit is a very sweaty pack on me, my back is always soaking wet even in the dead of winter.

4. I got the "Tall" Arc Haul, having used Tall ULA packs. According to Zpacks, there is no difference in the pack body itself, but the frame is a couple of inches longer. I'm not that tall (only 6-1) but I have a long torso. The Arc Haul fits much better than the Circuit, as it puts the top of the frame just above my shoulders. The load lifters work much better in that position. If you are trying to figure out what size to order, email Zpacks, they are very helpful.

If I were to totally fill the pack all the way to the top, it would look like it does in the photos on the Zpacks page, coming up to the middle of Joe's head. I don't expect I will fill it that far :)

5. All the webbing on the Arc Haul is very narrow and somewhat stiff, and doesn't move through the buckles very easily. So, for example, trying to loosen the load lifters isn't all that easy. I'm assuming this will get better with use. Also, the webbing that makes up the lower half of the shoulder strap is too short on my pack, though it is easily user-replaceable. (In fact, the Zpacks stuff is designed so that pretty much any part can be removed or replaced withiut cutting it off -- I like that.)

6. Comfort -- the Arc Haul feels great in my living room, but beyond that I can't comment. I will say I like the full wrap hip belt, and the overall suspension feels good. Given a very cursory test drive, it does feel like it will handle the ~30 lb loads leaving town somewhat better than my Circuit, though that was no slouch.

I've been beating on my current Circuit for four or five years now, and it's time to replace it. (For one thing, much of the fabric was delaminating and I couldn't keep water out on our LT hike last summer.) I was planning to get a new Circuit, a custom job with all Robic fabric and the little features that I like (e.g. the stretchy front pocket), but the Arc Haul just called my name for some reason. We'll see how it goes next week and provide an updated report.

bigcranky
06-25-2015, 08:00
Let me add that, to answer some of the posts above, the Arc Haul is not made of Cuben fiber, it's all Dyneema ripstop. It comes in two sizes, and the suspension is adjustable by moving the top of the shoulder straps.

Coffee
06-25-2015, 08:54
One thing to keep in mind when comparing weights on the Arc Haul vs. the Circuit is the fact that the Circuit's stated weight includes a number of things that are optional on the Arc Haul.

My Circuit (large torso, small hip belt) weighs just under 38 ounces stripped of the features that I do not use (I removed the hand loops, water bottle shoulder strap loops, hydration bladder holder, and small mesh pouch).

For an apples to apples comparison of my Circuit to an equally featured Arc Haul, I calculate as follows:

Arc Haul base advertised weight: 24 ounces
Add 2 Belt pouches (standard on Circuit): 1.5 ounces
Add ice axe loops (standard on Circuit): 0.2 ounces
Add shock cord lashing (standard on Circuit): 0.5 ounces

Total: 26.2 ounces

Also we should note that the Circuit's advertised capacity is 68 liters vs. the 60 liters for the Arc Haul, although perhaps importantly, more of the capacity in the Arc Haul is in the main compartment vs. the Circuit. If we look at the weight per liter of capacity for the Circuit, it is 38/68, or 0.56 ounces per liter of capacity. For the Arc Haul it is 26.2/60, or 0.44 ounces per liter.

There is a significant price difference as well. The Circuit is $225, or around $240 shipped. The Arc Haul, as optioned above, would be close to $360 with free shipping. I could almost buy a Circuit and a CDT for the cost of the Arc Haul adding versatility to my packing options.

Overall it is pretty clear to me that the Arc Haul would cut around 12 ounces vs the Circuit based on the way that I would option the Arc Haul. So the $120 premium in price for the Arc Haul would save 12 ounces, or around $10/ounce which isn't too bad compared to the cost of saving ounces in lots of other areas.

And the Arc Haul is a pretty tempting pack, although I think that for the weight that I aspire to carry on long hikes in the future the 60L Arc Blast is more likely to be my choice. I'd expect more reviews of the Arc Haul to appear soon. The Circuit on the other hand is a long proven design. It would be the more conservative choice IMO.

Mountain Wildman
06-25-2015, 13:37
I have both packs. My Arc Haul arrived this week, and goes on its maiden voyage over the holiday. I have used the Circuit for more than five years, and there are three of them in the house....

Some thoughts after initial loading of the new pack:

1. They are both well made, as I would expect.

2. The Arc Haul appears to have a larger main compartment. It's made entirely of the Dyneema fabric, and is totally seam taped on the inside (!!!). The Arc Haul also has a better side compression system (similar to the ULA Ohm). The larger main bag cuts both ways, of course -- I won't be able to fill it during summer hikes, but it will work great in the winter, and I am trying to own only one pack.

3. I think I am going to love the Arc system, which gets the pack body away from my back. The Circuit is a very sweaty pack on me, my back is always soaking wet even in the dead of winter.

4. I got the "Tall" Arc Haul, having used Tall ULA packs. According to Zpacks, there is no difference in the pack body itself, but the frame is a couple of inches longer. I'm not that tall (only 6-1) but I have a long torso. The Arc Haul fits much better than the Circuit, as it puts the top of the frame just above my shoulders. The load lifters work much better in that position. If you are trying to figure out what size to order, email Zpacks, they are very helpful.

If I were to totally fill the pack all the way to the top, it would look like it does in the photos on the Zpacks page, coming up to the middle of Joe's head. I don't expect I will fill it that far :)

5. All the webbing on the Arc Haul is very narrow and somewhat stiff, and doesn't move through the buckles very easily. So, for example, trying to loosen the load lifters isn't all that easy. I'm assuming this will get better with use. Also, the webbing that makes up the lower half of the shoulder strap is too short on my pack, though it is easily user-replaceable. (In fact, the Zpacks stuff is designed so that pretty much any part can be removed or replaced withiut cutting it off -- I like that.)

6. Comfort -- the Arc Haul feels great in my living room, but beyond that I can't comment. I will say I like the full wrap hip belt, and the overall suspension feels good. Given a very cursory test drive, it does feel like it will handle the ~30 lb loads leaving town somewhat better than my Circuit, though that was no slouch.

I've been beating on my current Circuit for four or five years now, and it's time to replace it. (For one thing, much of the fabric was delaminating and I couldn't keep water out on our LT hike last summer.) I was planning to get a new Circuit, a custom job with all Robic fabric and the little features that I like (e.g. the stretchy front pocket), but the Arc Haul just called my name for some reason. We'll see how it goes next week and provide an updated report.

Thanks for your insight, I hope you will post your thoughts after your trip.

Mountain Wildman
06-25-2015, 14:10
One thing to keep in mind when comparing weights on the Arc Haul vs. the Circuit is the fact that the Circuit's stated weight includes a number of things that are optional on the Arc Haul.

My Circuit (large torso, small hip belt) weighs just under 38 ounces stripped of the features that I do not use (I removed the hand loops, water bottle shoulder strap loops, hydration bladder holder, and small mesh pouch).

For an apples to apples comparison of my Circuit to an equally featured Arc Haul, I calculate as follows:

Arc Haul base advertised weight: 24 ounces
Add 2 Belt pouches (standard on Circuit): 1.5 ounces
Add ice axe loops (standard on Circuit): 0.2 ounces
Add shock cord lashing (standard on Circuit): 0.5 ounces

Total: 26.2 ounces

Also we should note that the Circuit's advertised capacity is 68 liters vs. the 60 liters for the Arc Haul, although perhaps importantly, more of the capacity in the Arc Haul is in the main compartment vs. the Circuit. If we look at the weight per liter of capacity for the Circuit, it is 38/68, or 0.56 ounces per liter of capacity. For the Arc Haul it is 26.2/60, or 0.44 ounces per liter.

There is a significant price difference as well. The Circuit is $225, or around $240 shipped. The Arc Haul, as optioned above, would be close to $360 with free shipping. I could almost buy a Circuit and a CDT for the cost of the Arc Haul adding versatility to my packing options.

Overall it is pretty clear to me that the Arc Haul would cut around 12 ounces vs the Circuit based on the way that I would option the Arc Haul. So the $120 premium in price for the Arc Haul would save 12 ounces, or around $10/ounce which isn't too bad compared to the cost of saving ounces in lots of other areas.

And the Arc Haul is a pretty tempting pack, although I think that for the weight that I aspire to carry on long hikes in the future the 60L Arc Blast is more likely to be my choice. I'd expect more reviews of the Arc Haul to appear soon. The Circuit on the other hand is a long proven design. It would be the more conservative choice IMO.

Thanks Coffee,
I did the same calculations but without the cost per ounce and came to the same conclusions. Cost is a consideration but the 2 packs I already own cost more than the Arc Haul.
It would be worth it to me for the weight savings but not if it only lasts for one thru-hike since I may want to do the PCT after the A.T.

Back on the trail
06-25-2015, 14:51
I just got back a couple weeks ago from hiking N.J. with my Circuit. Scale weighted at 30 lbs with five days food and two liters of water. Didn't know the pack was there except for maybe rattlesnake mnt. were you have to really climb up or down. I'm a bigger guy @ 6'2" 245. The Medium torso medium belt fits me great. While I don't think I would have had the space to add five pounds more of gear I'm sure that it would be comfortable to hike with from my last outing with this pack. Like I said I really did not know the pack was there most of the day.

cjayflo
07-05-2015, 17:46
http://store.seekoutside.com/divide-3000-light-gray-x21rc/
Ever look at these guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mountain Wildman
07-05-2015, 19:02
http://store.seekoutside.com/divide-3000-light-gray-x21rc/
Ever look at these guys?

Yes I have been looking at the Unaweep, I have to do more reading to understand how to configure it.

cjayflo
07-05-2015, 19:23
This link is for the divide pack. A bit more hiker oriented and lighter than the unaweep. You can get a talon and a lid but the divide comes with a mesh pocket. I can do a review in August. They promised to have one to me by the 28th for a 5 day trip I have coming up.

Mountain Wildman
07-05-2015, 20:26
This link is for the divide pack. A bit more hiker oriented and lighter than the unaweep. You can get a talon and a lid but the divide comes with a mesh pocket. I can do a review in August. They promised to have one to me by the 28th for a 5 day trip I have coming up.

The Divide 4200 looks pretty good.

I'll watch for your review of the 3000.

Laughter95
07-14-2015, 19:50
Really thinking about upgrading from the ULA Circuit. The pack has been great in the past year of ownership but I have a couple gripes:

1. When I have to carry 4-6 liters of water, there's more weight on the shoulders.
2. The connection between the center metal stay and the hipbelt isn't solid enough, thus there is some collapsing next to where the frame attaches to the hipbelt by velcro.

My baseweight is 12-13 lbs between fall and summer. If I need to carry 6 liters of water, the pack does get a bit uncomfortable. I'm curious if the Arc Haul will solve these issues. I think if the frame were burlier and the connection between the hipbelt and the frame were more solid, a user would benefit from a more comfortable carry.

But the new Arc Haul with trekking pole holders, ice axe loops, and belt pouches is $356. The ULA Circuit shipped was $238. That's basically 1.5x the cost of the Circuit.

And I am leaning toward the Arc Haul as opposed to the Arc Blast because I like the peace of mind of having more durable fabric as opposed to having to be super dainty whenever I crouch under a rock or set my pack down.

bigcranky
07-15-2015, 07:33
I used my Arc Haul on a six day hike in SW Virginia earlier this month (Atkins to Damascus), and meant to post my thoughts.

Short version: I think it's a very capable pack. Having used the Circuit for five or six years, the Arc Haul is different -- it carries differently, and it requires some slightly different packing, but they are pretty comparable. The Arc Haul seems to carry 30 pounds slightly better than the Circuit, but they are very close. I did find myself tweaking the ride multiple times per day, trying to find the right balance between hip belt and shoulder straps for the weight, but after a few days I had it pretty well dialed in.

I am going to cut and paste what I posted elsewhere:

------------

Just did a six day, 75 mile section in Virginia with the Arc Haul. I have not used any other Arc packs from Zpacks -- I've used a couple of Circuits for the last five or six years, and a Six Moons pack before that.

My base weight is not ultralight, it's 15 or 16 pounds in the summer with a two person tent (SMD Lunar Duo or Zpacks Hexamid Twin), two person cook kit, clothing, camera, etc. So I want something that will carry 30 with a full load of food and water. So for me, the Cuben Arc Blast is not going to work well, I think (edit: based on the recommended total weight).

The Arc Haul fits and wears well. It took a couple of days to dial everything in the way I liked -- the shoulder straps are adjustable, and I moved them around a few times until it felt right. The hip belt is comfortable, but it's softer than the Circuit hip belt. The hip belt pockets are terrific, and seam taped with waterproof zippers! I think my heaviest load was maybe 28 pounds or so, might have been 30 with a full load of food and water. Very comfortable.

The design of the pack is well thought out -- lots of items can be removed and replaced without cutting, like the sternum strap. We did not get rained on while hiking, so I can't comment on the seam taping of the inside of the pack, but I am hopeful that will work well. The mesh back panel seemed to work to keep my back a little drier, but the weather was warm and humid so I got pretty wet anyway. I did not use anywhere near the full capacity even with my tent inside (SMD Lunar Duo) and a full food bag, but the compression system works pretty well. I do need to see how my winter bag fits, but it should be fine.

Had a couple of problems. The Arc suspension is created by pulling a cord attached between the frame and the mesh back panel using an adjuster and a bowline knot. It's under considerable tension when in use. One of the corner bowlines popped out while hiking on the second day, and a brief inspection showed two others ready to do the same. The "tail" was too short and it was pulling itself apart under load. Easy to fix - I took apart the knot, loosened everything, and tied new bowlines with longer tails and stopper knots. (I like "field repairable.") Zpacks is sending me new, longer cord so I can re-tie all four corners, and Joe said he'll ask the pack makers to leave a longer tail on the knot. The other issue was the webbing on the lower part of the shoulder strap was too short and came apart a couple of times when I loosened the strap to take off the pack -- they are sending me longer webbing, which is easily replaceable (not sewn on).

So I think it carries a 30 pound load better than the Circuit in some respects. The load lifters actually work, for one thing, and the mesh back panel is great. I was concerned that the front mesh pocket was not large enough -- and sure thing, it's not really big enough to hold my tent and all my other crap that ends up there, so I put my tent in a seam taped roll top stuff sack inside the pack, and the front pocket was fine. The capacity of the pack is pretty big - my summer gear came nowhere near filling it, but I left my quilt unstuffed and put the tent inside, and then used the side compression straps, and it was fine.

Given what I have seen on the trail, and my experience with my Cuben fiber food bag and pack liners, I would not get a pack made from Cuben fiber, but this pack in Dyneema seems to be very well put together. I do think I need to be careful with the carbon fiber stays - they are on the outside of the pack and I think they could snap if hit in the right way, especially since the Arc frame puts them under a lot of tension. So maybe this pack is a little more delicate? I don't know that for sure. (And almost everything is user replaceable and much of it can be repaired in the field.)

So if you've transitioned the other gear to lighter stuff, and your base weight is 15 or so, then I think this is a pretty good choice. I do like the Circuit, too, and as noted elsewhere it's the more conservative choice (thousands of Circuits on the trails out there). But this rides well, and I like the real waterproof nature (seam taped, roll top) though I still put my clothing and bag in a waterproof liner bag.

-----------------

bigcranky
07-15-2015, 07:46
My baseweight is 12-13 lbs between fall and summer. If I need to carry 6 liters of water, the pack does get a bit uncomfortable. I'm curious if the Arc Haul will solve these issues. I think if the frame were burlier and the connection between the hipbelt and the frame were more solid, a user would benefit from a more comfortable carry.

I don't know that the Arc Haul will fix this. The frame does not appear significantly stronger than the Circuit, and the hip belt is softer. Also there are no hip belt stabilizer straps, which on the Circuit can be used to tighten the connection between the pack and the hip belt (with some loss in flexibility). (Also, my personal problem is that I have no hips so the hip belt tends to slide down, putting more weight on the shoulders, and this is true with any pack, so YMMV.)

It does appear the Arc Haul suspension is improved over the Arc Blast, with the full wrap hip belt and the extra cross bar. Given the Dyneema fabric, I think overall it's a well made and well thought out pack. What I don't know even after using it for a week is whether it is substantially better with 30 pounds than the Circuit -- they are certainly very similar.

So then the question becomes, are the Arc Haul features worth a 50% additional cost? Seam taped construction, arc frame with mesh back panel, 10 ounces lighter, working load lifters, etc.

As noted above, the Circuit is the conservative choice (which makes me giggle, since cottage gear was so "out there" just a few years ago when Gregory and others were the conservative choice).

Edit: just to make sure, if it's not clear from these two posts, I really like this new pack. I'm just being thorough; all my minor gripes and asides are just that -- minor. I would have plenty of minor gripes if I reviewed a new Circuit.

Laughter95
07-15-2015, 09:50
Thanks a lot for your insight. It helps a lot. The working load lifters and mesh back are the biggest selling points for me. I don't think I'll notice a difference of 10 ounces but better functioning load lifters will amplify this benefit.

I also wish that the Circuit frame is taller so that the load lifters are more effective.

I'll probably keep using the Circuit for another year and read more user reports of the Arc Haul.

Coffee
07-15-2015, 10:12
What's the issue with the circuit load lifters? Mine seem to work fine...

Arc Haul looks interesting. Over time more reviews should appear to help determine if it is worth the price premium over the circuit which appears to be its main competition.

bigcranky
07-15-2015, 10:55
What's the issue with the circuit load lifters? Mine seem to work fine...

Based on how the Circuit fits me, the top of the pack is below the top of my shoulders. So the load lifters work, sort of -- I can pull the top of the pack in closer to my back -- but they don't give me a lot of control over the angle of the pack.

On the Arc Haul the top of the frame is several inches above my shoulders, so the load lifters angle downward to the top of the shoulder strap.

ChuckT
07-15-2015, 10:58
lsn't downward to the shoulder strap the preferred orientation?

Coffee
07-15-2015, 11:33
Based on how the Circuit fits me, the top of the pack is below the top of my shoulders. So the load lifters work, sort of -- I can pull the top of the pack in closer to my back -- but they don't give me a lot of control over the angle of the pack.

On the Arc Haul the top of the frame is several inches above my shoulders, so the load lifters angle downward to the top of the shoulder strap.
That makes sense ... On my circuit (long torso) the top of the carbon fiber loop is above my shoulders so the load lifters angle up.

Laughter95
07-15-2015, 11:41
Load lifter stuff- It's one of those things that I didn't know the huge difference until I tried a pack that had a proper angle on the load lifters. That was the Exos 58 for me.

I thought about getting the long torso just so I have better height on the top of the carbon fiber loop for the load lifters but the height of the shoulder straps wouldn't fit me properly.

At the end of the day, the pack is definitely still comfortable for me. I think now that I'm finally at the point of not actually needing to buy anything new, after 1.5 years of buying stuff, I might just be getting greedy. Hopefully from now on it's just replacing worn-out shoes and consumables like probars.

The input from bigcranky has been very helpful.

bigcranky
07-15-2015, 12:01
lsn't downward to the shoulder strap the preferred orientation?

Yes, that's why I mentioned above that the load lifters on the Arc Haul work better for me than those on the Circuit. Both are long torso packs, btw, and both have the hip belt in the same place on my hips.

ChuckT
07-15-2015, 12:02
What I thought.

gbolt
07-16-2015, 12:11
Yes, that's why I mentioned above that the load lifters on the Arc Haul work better for me than those on the Circuit. Both are long torso packs, btw, and both have the hip belt in the same place on my hips.

I follow a lot of your post and have benefitted from them a great deal. However, I am just wondering, even if the hip belt is in the same place on your hips... wouldn't it help the angle by repositioning the belt lower on the bag. I had to do this on my Ohm 2.0, two or three times, before I felt the fit was correct. Even though there is a limit of adjustability; the two inches of velcro on the pack creates a major result to the ride of the pack and the affect of individual torso length. I prefer the top of the pack to be slightly higher than the shoulders and reley on the load lifters for a comfortable feel on the shoulders. Although the discussion was about the Circuit, I thought all ULA belts were interchangable. I also wonder at what weight do the Load Lifters become necessary or unecessary as the case may be, because the Arc Haul is just one of a few packs that I my trade out the Ohm for, in the future.

bigcranky
07-16-2015, 12:25
Hi, gbolt,

Totally understood. I have readjusted the hip belt on the Circuit to put the shoulder straps in the right place (since they are in a fixed position). Or at least what I think is the right place for me. I think even with the belt at the bottom, the top of the pack would still be at or below my shoulders. I'll have to go look.

In any case it's not a big deal, the Circuit is a fine pack and rode very well. The Arc Haul happens to have a differently shaped frame which puts the lifters in a better place. (It's worth noting that other Zpacks packs don't come with lifters, as they work to get the torso length exactly right and thus lifters are unnecessary.) I find the lifters useful for fine tweaks of the load pretty much all the time, though I don't know if they are necessary with lighter loads.

Thanks for the info.

Laughter95
07-20-2015, 18:25
Did you make any modifications to the pack upon ordering? I'm considering whether the stock side compression is good or if it's better to replace with two grosgrain straps.

Wish these packs were available to try in person. It's hard to decide on something expensive that needs user interaction to determine if it's a good fit.

bigcranky
07-20-2015, 18:50
I did not make any mods. The compression system is similar to the one on the ULA Ohm, which I liked, and it works well for me on the Arc Haul.

bemental
12-07-2015, 20:25
Thanks for your thoughts BC, I found them to be compelling to say the least. I'm currently considering getting the ZPacks Arc Haul in Dyneema to cut the weight of my actual pack in half.

Again, much obliged.

cmoulder
12-07-2015, 20:57
I find the Arc Haul much more comfortable using the optional lumbar pad. I have zero problems with the Arc Blast with no lumbar pad, but the addition of the lower crossbar on the Haul created a bit of pressure on the lumbar/sacrum which led to discomfort and, eventually, some minor pain. I've heard the same from a few others on BPL.

Agree with BC above about the stock side compression cord arrangement working fine. Just tug on the top of the cord and and it does a surprisingly good job of self-equalizing the segments to flatten the load, and those little cord locks actually hold very well. There's a bit of unwieldy, stiff cord sticking out but it's easy enough to tuck down the side or into the front mesh panel.

Coffee
12-07-2015, 20:58
FWIW, the Haul and Blast now use the exact same infrastructure/framing and only the material differs. So that info on the lumbar pad is good to know. I might be ordering the Blast shortly, just waiting for some questions to be answered by zPacks.

cmoulder
12-07-2015, 21:07
Yes, I should have mentioned my Blast is a 2014 "old style" and if I were getting a new one I'd definitely get the lumbar pad.

However, I absolutely adore the old one and am on the lookout for folks selling in order to upgrade! ;)

Vegan Packer
12-08-2015, 04:23
I've been considering several options for a new ZPacks backpack, and I, too found it difficult to decide. I live about three hours from ZPacks, and since I had planned to drive from Miami Beach to Virginia for Thanksgiving, that drive was to take me up the coast past their location. I emailed and made arrangement to visit them at their new factory, which is quite impressive.

32904 32905

First, let me say that Joe (and everyone there) could not have been nicer and more welcoming. ZPacks also welcomed Slowpoke, my cocker spaniel, who goes with me everywhere but the trail these days, because he has gone blind and has retired from backpacking, though he still remains active as a volunteer therapy dog.

Anyway, back to the equipment: I showed up with a list of potential options that I had in mind, and we sat down and discussed all of them. Joe showed me samples of models and colors, and I was able to try on backpacks to find out exactly what sizing I should order. I brought all of my gear with me, so that we could discuss packing options and optional items that I should get along with my backpack.

Now, what I want and what you may want could be completely different, but I will share with you what I am about to order. Maybe this will help you out in making some of your decisions.

I decided to go with a hybrid version, partly like the Zip model and partly like the Haul model of the 62 liter pack made out of Dyneema. The weight of this will be about four ounces more than the cuben fiber version, but this will take up to 40 pounds of gear versus the 35 for the cuben version. I like the idea of the Dyneema being more durable (when going through brush and such) and more easily able to handle a heavier weight, should the need arise.

I plan to spend a fair amount of time backpacking in places that require the use of a bear canister. After playing around with fitting my bear canister inside of the models I tried out, I have decided to carry the canister horizontally, and to place it on top of the outside of the pack. Joe is going to customize my pack by making two straps to hold the canister, rather than the single strap of the standard pack. I am also going to get the optional straps to allow the top of the rolled pack to connect down the side of the pack. This should allow a flatter top of the outside of the pack, which will make carrying the bear canister easier.

Since I will be, at least at times, carrying a bear canister, I like the idea of the Arc Zip model, which allows access to things inside the pack without having to first take the canister off of the top. For example, if the day starts out cold enough to require my vest or my puffy, once it warms up, this design would allow me to stop and to unzip and stow the puffy without having to deal with removing and replacing the canister.

On the other hand, there are times when my gear will become wet. For stowing wet gear, I didn't much like the solid pocket on the back of the zipper access to the main compartment. I normally store things like my stream crossing shoes, wet rain gear and the like in the mesh pocket on the front of my current pack. After discussing this with Joe, he is going to construct my pack with the zipper to access the main compartment, like in the Zip model, and then he is going to leave off the smaller outside solid pocket that you see in the standard Zip model, instead placing the mesh that you find on the standard Haul model on the outside.

Since my tent and footprint could be wet, I plan to carry these items rolled up and attached to the straps at the bottom of the pack, outside. I am going to ask ZPacks to make the straps at the bottom of the pack long enough to go around both of these items.

I do not want to place a water bladder inside of my pack. I am having the pack made without the bladder pocket, and without ports for drinking tubes. I am also going to get smaller options, such as belt pouches and external pockets.

Anyway, I hope that this helps. I am still not fully decided on a few things, but I plan to place my order within the next week.

Coffee
12-08-2015, 07:54
Great input Vegan Packer!

bemental
12-08-2015, 09:19
Solid insight, thanks VP

ChuckT
12-16-2015, 10:25
Pulled the trigger on a 60L Arc Blast. My options are the Multipack and the Trek Pole bungee(s). I've had a variety of shoulder strap and waistbelt pockets and finally came to dislike them all so passed on those. Did order a couple of dri bags for clothes and Under Quilt. Really wanted the Zip but talked myself out of it. Should be here mid January. We shall see.

Vegan Packer
12-16-2015, 15:40
Nice. Just finishing up the final discussion with Joe about a few of the final points, but my order is in. I'll post what I did as soon as the last of the nitty gritty is firmed up.

Willem
07-15-2016, 05:25
[QUOTE=bigcranky;1988399]I don't know that the Arc Haul will fix this. The frame does not appear significantly stronger than the Circuit, and the hip belt is softer. Also there are no hip belt stabilizer straps, which on the Circuit can be used to tighten the connection between the pack and the hip belt (with some loss in flexibility). (Also, my personal problem is that I have no hips so the hip belt tends to slide down, putting more weight on the shoulders, and this is true with any pack, so YMMV.)

It does appear the Arc Haul suspension is improved over the Arc Blast, with the full wrap hip belt and the extra cross bar. Given the Dyneema fabric, I think overall it's a well made and well thought out pack. What I don't know even after using it for a week is whether it is substantially better with 30 pounds than the Circuit -- they are certainly very similar.

So then the question becomes, are the Arc Haul features worth a 50% additional cost? Seam taped construction, arc frame with mesh back panel, 10 ounces lighter, working load lifters, etc.

Juat wondering which one do you think is more durable?
Which one moves better with you? the Arch Haul looks less flexible in the hip belt as it is fixed to the frame more Ridgely? I have packs with flexible hip belts are more comfortable to carry.

bigcranky
07-15-2016, 08:19

Just wondering which one do you think is more durable?

I dunno, depends on one's budget, I suppose. They are both excellent packs. For me, those features you listed were in fact worth the extra cash, but then I'm in my 50s and have a decent job and I'm lucky enough to be able to spend whatever I want (within reason :)) on gear. The arc frame does make a difference in my comfort, especially in the summer, and the working load lifters are great. The Circuit lasted a long time used pretty hard, but the Arc Haul seems pretty well made and I expect the same thing.

I would use the Circuit until it totally wears out then think about what might replace it.

Tacblades
07-15-2016, 08:44
If it helps i made a vid on the Arc Haul, i cant fault it.

https://youtu.be/y5CV1rhbH-o

DuneElliot
07-15-2016, 10:31
I am having issues with the cross bar of the Arc Haul at the belt not being flexible...too rigid for me. I have only used it on a handful of 3-4 day trips and found I had lower back pain. I wasn't carrying much weight. I am about to try the Circuit...the belt system seems to fit me better but I'm definitely going to have to get used to the different feel of the rest of the pack.

bigcranky
07-15-2016, 11:59
I am having issues with the cross bar of the Arc Haul at the belt not being flexible...too rigid for me. I have only used it on a handful of 3-4 day trips and found I had lower back pain. I wasn't carrying much weight. I am about to try the Circuit...the belt system seems to fit me better but I'm definitely going to have to get used to the different feel of the rest of the pack.

Is the cross bar removable? Pretty sure the other Arc packs don't (didn't) have one.

ChuckT
07-15-2016, 12:01
I bought an Arc Blast last year. Seems to run small, volume wise, for my hammock kit even with the sleeve extended. I added the ZPacks add-on outside pocket later but that was a dissapointing compromise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
07-15-2016, 12:11
Is the cross bar removable? Pretty sure the other Arc packs don't (didn't) have one.

Removable, yes. Usable without being removable, no. The bar is what the belt attaches to. The carry system in general is great....love it in every other way, but I'm also really skinny and petite so I think it affects me for those reasons. I am going to try it with less Arc in the frame...seems like more arc puts more inward (towards the body) pressure on the lower bar.

Engine
07-15-2016, 12:28
Removable, yes. Usable without being removable, no. The bar is what the belt attaches to. The carry system in general is great....love it in every other way, but I'm also really skinny and petite so I think it affects me for those reasons. I am going to try it with less Arc in the frame...seems like more arc puts more inward (towards the body) pressure on the lower bar.

When I was reading your other post related to lower back pain associated with the AH I wondered if the tension of the arc had something to do with it. As someone who ordered the AH just yesterday I would be curious to know how that solution works out for you.

Tacblades
07-15-2016, 12:41
Never had any back pressure with the AH, might be where it sits on my back, or the extra lumber support pad i had with it?

DuneElliot
07-15-2016, 12:42
When I was reading your other post related to lower back pain associated with the AH I wondered if the tension of the arc had something to do with it. As someone who ordered the AH just yesterday I would be curious to know how that solution works out for you.

I will try it and let you know. Unfortunately I'm laid up for a couple of weeks due to a strained achilles tendon that I exacerbated last weekend. Stupid backpacking addiction!

Hoofit
07-15-2016, 14:50
You might want to check out Hyperlite too..
Lightweight, waterproof and very durable.

Water Rat
07-15-2016, 21:03
I will try it and let you know. Unfortunately I'm laid up for a couple of weeks due to a strained achilles tendon that I exacerbated last weekend. Stupid backpacking addiction!

On my inaugural trip I noticed that I needed the extra lumbar pad with my Arc Haul. It wasn't because of the weight (came to 24lbs with food and water). It was because of the way I am built and the way the bar dug in to my lower back. This was with the recommended arc adjustment. I wanted to put the pack to the test before I started using the additional lumbar pad. The lumbar pad took care of the issue I had with the bar and now I barely notice the pack on my back.

One thing to consider is that men and women tend to be built different...and this pack is a unisex pack. Possibly part of the reason why the the bar isn't working for you? I am pretty sure that is what the issue was in my case.

Runsalone
08-26-2016, 21:22
I think both those packs are underframed for your base weight. If you have a 23 lbs base weight plus a five day carry if your thru hiking, plus 2 liters of water when you set off in the mornings.....your up into the 36 - 37 lbs range. I wouldn't want to carry that in my circuit. Cant speak to the Arc as I don't own one, but neither was designed to carry that kind of weight.

I would and have, however carried that kind of weight In my old Nimbus Ozone. 3 lbs, 65L, handles that kind of weight no problem. Its my winter pack. If I were going to replace it I would wanna try a ULA Catalyst. Love all the outside pockets.

soumodeler
08-28-2016, 08:00
I think both those packs are underframed for your base weight. If you have a 23 lbs base weight plus a five day carry if your thru hiking, plus 2 liters of water when you set off in the mornings.....your up into the 36 - 37 lbs range. I wouldn't want to carry that in my circuit. Cant speak to the Arc as I don't own one, but neither was designed to carry that kind of weight.

I would and have, however carried that kind of weight In my old Nimbus Ozone. 3 lbs, 65L, handles that kind of weight no problem. Its my winter pack. If I were going to replace it I would wanna try a ULA Catalyst. Love all the outside pockets.

ZPacks states the ArcHaul is designed to carry up to 40lbs. I have not had that much weight in mine, but it could probably handle the load.

DuneElliot
08-28-2016, 18:16
After trying the ULA Circuit and finding it wasn't what I wanted (just too comfortable with the Arc Haul's features, fit and the way it carries) I tried making my own, thicker lumbar pad. I tried it out this weekend and I am back in love with my Arc Haul...it just does everything right, but I need slightly more padding at 110# and 5'5 tall...not much of my own padding to help.

jeffmeh
08-30-2016, 11:29
After trying the ULA Circuit and finding it wasn't what I wanted (just too comfortable with the Arc Haul's features, fit and the way it carries) I tried making my own, thicker lumbar pad. I tried it out this weekend and I am back in love with my Arc Haul...it just does everything right, but I need slightly more padding at 110# and 5'5 tall...not much of my own padding to help.

That's great to hear. Glad it worked out for you.