PDA

View Full Version : Last-Minute 100 MW Suggestions

bemental
06-27-2015, 05:43
My service dog and I will begin section hiking south (skipping BSP), starting at the 100 Mike Wilderness for approximately 30-45 days starting in July.

Wanted to ping the forums for any last-minute tips or suggestions that I might not have otherwise already read on the forums (I've been searching extensively and have read about the various water crossings, closure of resupply points, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Shutterbug
06-27-2015, 12:20
My service dog and I will begin section hiking south (skipping BSP), starting at the 100 Mike Wilderness for approximately 30-45 days starting in July.

Wanted to ping the forums for any last-minute tips or suggestions that I might not have otherwise already read on the forums (I've been searching extensively and have read about the various water crossings, closure of resupply points, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

If you are leaving in July and hiking for 30 -45 days, you will be hiking in August. I once planned that same hike starting from the Golden Road headed south. My biggest surprise was the heat. It was much hotter than I anticipated. In the middle part of the day I found myself soaking wet from sweat. It was really hard to stay dry.

That year, we had more rain than normal. Rain gear tends to hold in the sweat. Our choice was to hike with rain gear and be wet with sweat or hike without rain gear and get wet from the rain. Either choice left us wet.

That being said, I do have some tips.

1) There is a lot of wildlife in the 100 Mile Wilderness, moose, bear, beavers, and other animals. Be prepared for your service dog to have some encounters.

2) Be aware that bear hunting season starts the last Monday of August. During the first part of the season, baiting is legal. There are numerous bear baiting sites 1/4 mile from the AT, so it is best to stay within the trail corridor and wear a bright color if you are hiking after the season starts.

3) Gulf Hagas is worth seeing. Most thru hikers don't take the time to visit Gulf Hagas, which is known as "Grand Canyon of Maine." Just visit the south side of the Gulf Hagas Loop. The north half of the loop is just a trail through the woods.

Slo-go'en
06-27-2015, 15:21
I'd try to find out how deep/swift the river fords are. Call down to Monson and see if you can get a report from one of the hostels there. With all the rain we've had recently I bet the fords are about as bad as it gets. Even if your dog is a strong swimmer, expect it to be swept well down stream.

bemental
06-27-2015, 16:19
Thanks for the tips, absolutely appreciate them.

Who exactly in Monson would I be calling, Slo?

lynn523
06-27-2015, 16:41
Phil Pepin at 100 Mile Wilderness Outfitters could help you out. I imagine You also could get some information from people at Shaws's or Rebecca at the Lake house

Slo-go'en
06-27-2015, 17:34
Chief at the AT lodge of Millinocket reported recently 192 SOBO's had already left Baxter. I wonder how many made it to Monson?

Look in your AT guide for the phone # of the places in Monson. You do have an AT Guide right?

bemental
06-27-2015, 17:49
Chief at the AT lodge of Millinocket reported recently 192 SOBO's had already left Baxter. I wonder how many made it to Monson?

Look in your AT guide for the phone # of the places in Monson. You do have an AT Guide right?

But of course(!) - I was just curious who I would propose such a specific question to.

TJ aka Teej
06-27-2015, 21:18
The new folks at Shaws are both recent thru-hikers. I'd suggest calling them for info. What are you doing about travel to the trailhead? Ole Man at the AT Lodge in Millinocket will take you in to Abol Bridge, and set up a food drop in the 100 (dog food is heavy!).

bemental
06-28-2015, 07:14
The new folks at Shaws are both recent thru-hikers. I'd suggest calling them for info. What are you doing about travel to the trailhead? Ole Man at the AT Lodge in Millinocket will take you in to Abol Bridge, and set up a food drop in the 100 (dog food is heavy!).

I've got a ride in and a lean to for the night in Baxter, but I was under the assumption that drops in the wilderness were infeasible.

I've calculated out about 15 lbs of food for me, and 17 lbs of food for the pup over ten days, boosting my total starting pack weight to about 54 lbs.

It's nowhere near ideal and a food drop would be welcome. I'll give them a call, thanks!

LoneStranger
06-28-2015, 08:47
Just got back from a week in BSP and water levels were definitely high even before the storm today. Bugs of all variety were in full bloom too; about the worst I've ever seen. Hopefully both recede some before you head out :)

Have a great hike!

chiefduffy
06-28-2015, 10:23
We do food drops in the Wilderness, call me at the AT Lodge in Millinocket.

- Chief

bemental
06-28-2015, 13:14
We do food drops in the Wilderness, call me at the AT Lodge in Millinocket.

- Chief

Called up to the AT Lodge, Chief was friendly and explained the food drop procedures.

Definitely going this route. Will have a resupply halfway through the wilderness. Dog food IS heavy.

Brings my starting pack weight to 31lbs, with 5 days of human food, and dog food.

Thanks again Chief, as well as everyone else for the suggestions.

Slo-go'en
06-28-2015, 14:39
Good deal. You would not have made it far with a 54 pound pack!