PDA

View Full Version : ULA Camino 2

Cedar1974
06-27-2015, 10:00
I haven't seen or heard much about this pack. All I know is the pack was designed to be used both on airplanes and while hiking. Can anyone else share more info on this pack since I am sure most either fly or take a bus back from a thru hike.

Cedar1974
06-27-2015, 10:01
http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/panel-loader-with-top-collar.htm

BTW, this is the pack.

Lyle
06-27-2015, 10:19
If you like panel loaders, this is one of the few options, I've never cared for them, myself.

A friend of mine bought the first generation of Camino, used it a few years. He has since replaced it with a Catalyst or Circuit (I can't remember which). Said he found the panel loader more trouble than it was worth, less easy to get to items then he originally imagined.

One of my aversions has always been the possibility of zipper failure (one of the most common problems on packs with zippers), making the pack useless without extensive jury-rigging. Others seem to like panel loaders.

Regarding flying, I just bought a large duffle. I partially unpack the pack, place in the duffle, then stuff the items removed around the pack. This allows you to fill the nooks and crannies of the duffle. Can also pack my treking poles in the duffle, so solves that problem as well.

Cedar1974
06-27-2015, 10:41
I hadn't considered Zipper failure. I guess you either bought the duffel at the end of the trip or had it sent to you. The only plus they gave on the website is that it conforms to the size of carry on standards for planes. It doesn't even give a volume in liters, which is one of the things I was wondering about.

Coffee
06-27-2015, 10:48
I think it is similar to the Catalyst except a panel loader. It strikes me as overkill for a walk on the actual Camino de Santiago. When I hike the Camino i plan to use the custom CDT I just ordered. I'll never have more than 10-12 pounds.

Lyle
06-27-2015, 10:57
I hadn't considered Zipper failure. I guess you either bought the duffel at the end of the trip or had it sent to you. The only plus they gave on the website is that it conforms to the size of carry on standards for planes. It doesn't even give a volume in liters, which is one of the things I was wondering about.

Actually, when flying, I usually fly to a relatives house, so can leave the duffle there. Last summer, flying to Mammoth for the JMT hike, the B&B held the duffles for us while we were hiking. Many hiker friendly businesses will help you out with things like this if you ask.

The last resort option was to stuff the empty duffle into a fixed rate USPS box. Either mail it to the end point of your hike or mail it to an alternate PO, then, during your hike, request that it be forwarded back to the original PO for pick-up at the end of your hike if you are returning to the same location. My understanding is that the USPS will forward these boxes at no additional charge if they are not claimed/picked up. Folks use this method for bounce boxes when doing extended trips.

Quotidianlight
07-23-2015, 22:42
I'm bumping this, cause I'm considering the same pack. I'm going to be location independent next year with with international travel and long thru hikes. So far the Camino is the closest to my needs as it really does share most of the Catalysts features. I also love that it is actually both top and front loading so it seams like it'd be at home in Europe or the Forrest. The listing on the website is pretty though sparse so I emailed the company, they're been really helpful. I'd still like to know how the Durability on these packs from a heavy user.

chiefduffy
07-24-2015, 05:19
My wife has used one for several years and loves it. Same ULA quality and wonderful customer service, convenient pack for travel.

colorado_rob
07-24-2015, 08:40
Looks like a great pack for travelling, but for a thru hike, sure looks heavy at about 3 pounds. Not sure what you're asking about, are you inquiring about the pack for a thru?

There is a prevailing nervousness (especially here on WB) about flying with packs, or I should say, checking a pack as checked baggage. This is really very easy and simple, no duffles/boxes/whatever required. I've done it a dozen times now without any additional packaging; just secure all straps, like wrap the waistbelt around the pack backwards and snap it, and do the same with the shoulder straps, securing it with the sternum strap. I also wrap my entire pack with my bear-bag cord. I wish I had a pic to share, I'll make one next time I pack my pack for travel (again, in checked baggage).

This all being said, we love to travel, and this Camino would be perfect for light/fast tourist type travel; I might look into getting one for next trip overseas. thanks for bringing it up; We're big ULA fans (both use OHM 2.0's) and for some reason never noticed this pack.