PDA

View Full Version : act like an animal???

johnny quest
11-18-2005, 22:01
so im back home in florida visiting the folks and im out for my morning run. im carrying a hiking stick because the german shepards and labs on this long road have never seen a runner and think im out to steal their water bowls. two yellow labs come running out of their yard behind me, i whip around and run at them growling back, threatening with the pole. that stops them cold and, seeing im not running FROM them, they are now satisfied with some desultory barking and peeing on ever bush in sight. and it occurs to me...if i mark my campsite at night will that have any affect on critters exploring my stuff while in the middle of the night?

Tractor
11-18-2005, 22:39
I've wondered the same thing. A possible drawback might be a larger creature might feel the need to "mark-over" my marks in the middle of the night...?

What was that movie, about the man who lived with the wolves? He marked his turf and the wolves would mark theirs up to his marks. He stay on his side, they stay on theirs, all is well.

Dances with Mice
11-18-2005, 23:00
...if i mark my campsite at night will that have any affect on critters exploring my stuff while in the middle of the night?Nah. They can't read.

Lilred
11-18-2005, 23:04
I hope I don't set up my tent after you......:(

Husko
11-19-2005, 01:19
Interesting. After having two coyotes sneak up on my back at camp, I did exactly that. Didn't really think about it like most people would. Just decided to do it. Couldn't help but be reminded that we truly are just another flavor of meat, and simply another animal in the wild, wired by nature regardless of our extreme attempts to seperate ourselves of such ideas.

justusryans
11-19-2005, 08:53
I've wondered the same thing. A possible drawback might be a larger creature might feel the need to "mark-over" my marks in the middle of the night...?

What was that movie, about the man who lived with the wolves? He marked his turf and the wolves would mark theirs up to his marks. He stay on his side, they stay on theirs, all is well.

"Never Cry Wolf" by Farley Mowat. One of my favorite alltime authors. The movie was only so,so:D

johnny quest
11-19-2005, 09:36
so did it work??? or am i pissing up a rope?

Mouse
11-19-2005, 10:24
I remember following that advice camping alone in the Ventana Wilderness, where it was said to deter mountain lions. But that was a very remote area and said to have the highest mountain lion desity in the country so it seemed to behoove me to be wary there.

I am not so sure it is of any use on the AT, except to deter fellow hikers.

Youngblood
11-19-2005, 10:29
... Couldn't help but be reminded that we truly are just another flavor of meat, and simply another animal in the wild, wired by nature regardless of our extreme attempts to seperate ourselves of such ideas.
Yep! I always remember when I was taking SCUBA diving lessons that the instructor sayed to not worry too much about sharks, that shark attacks are usually because they mistake you for something else and that they don't like the taste of humans. I thought and asked: "How do they know how humans taste?" ... he didn't have an answer. Predators make choices on what to go after; taste, danger, opportunity, curiosity, hunger, etc. If they leave us alone it is likely because they are afraid or us or figure we are more trouble than we are worth. A 200 pound black bear is one thing, an 800 pound brown bear or a 1000 pound polar bear are entirely different. And sometimes animals that leave adults alone because of our size, will go after smaller folks like children and infants.

Sly
11-19-2005, 12:07
Not wise. If you mark your campsite you'll find some critters digging up your urine for the salt content.

johnny quest
11-19-2005, 23:01
how about if i poor some salt on the trail to draw their attention?