PDA

View Full Version : The Pickle with Pickles

Cedar1974
06-27-2015, 10:47
What can I say, I love pickles as a snack. I could see grabbing one while in town (you know, the single huge pickle in the bag) But I was wondering if anyone has tried packing these and if Pickles are a good trail snack.

Wise Old Owl
06-27-2015, 23:31
Yes they are. But they are full weight. They deliver an odd variation of anti thirst. We know from the Roman conquests They marched with vinegar or bad wine with water. It has interesting properties. Currently I am experimenting with Hard Boiled Eggs that are peeled and spiked with a corn cob holder and soaked in the same bottle of Claussen Pickles 4 weeks and they are there. They do not provide any notable calories.So forge ahead leave a little vinegar in the glad bag and stuff it in the sack if so inclined. Enjoy!

CalebJ
06-27-2015, 23:33
Apparently pickle juice is helpful to avoid muscle cramps. I've never been willing to try it at the race aid stations.

Cedar1974
06-28-2015, 09:36
So, pickles are good for you on the trail, good to know. Probably the high sodium to replenish lost electrolytes. But here's a question how to pack a peck of pickles for the trail.

Big_Country
06-28-2015, 11:29
Plastic peanut butter jar maybe. This is a great thread. My Daughter is a pickleholic. Will eat half a small jar at a setting. Will be following this for suggestions.

Cheers

wannahike
06-28-2015, 12:22
You could dehydrate them and make pickle chips, tho I found them too salty to eat plain, they were good chopped up tuna, salmon or chicken salad, added some salty crunch. They also re-hydrated fine by themselves but lost a bit of flavor.

rocketsocks
06-28-2015, 12:42
I seem to recall being able to buy a single pickle individual sealed in juice.

atraildreamer
06-28-2015, 13:21
... Currently I am experimenting with Hard Boiled Eggs that are peeled and spiked with a corn cob holder and soaked in the same bottle of Claussen Pickles 4 weeks and they are there...

Pickled eggs are very easy to make (Check the internet for recipes). My 3-year old grand-niece loved them! :) Every time she came for a visit, she would ask me for some. I would give her a jar of pickled eggs to take home so I could annoy her father, my nephew, who hates the smell of them! :mad: :D

Cedar1974
06-28-2015, 14:06
Plastic peanut butter jar maybe. This is a great thread. My Daughter is a pickleholic. Will eat half a small jar at a setting. Will be following this for suggestions.

Cheers

Well I found that so long as the plastic is Food safe it should be fine for storing pickles.

I seem to recall being able to buy a single pickle individual sealed in juice.

Yes, you can, but those can get expensive, unless you know of a place that sells them in bulk. Do they sell them by the box at Sam's or Costco?

Rocket Jones
06-28-2015, 16:26
You can probably individually vacuum seal the big pickles... heck, you could vacuum seal a stack of slices or spears too.

rocketsocks
06-28-2015, 16:45
Well I found that so long as the plastic is Food safe it should be fine for storing pickles.

Yes, you can, but those can get expensive, unless you know of a place that sells them in bulk. Do they sell them by the box at Sam's or Costco?
honestly don't know, I think I got it at a convenience store when buying a sandwich once...so yeah, probably expensive.

Cedar1974
06-28-2015, 18:58
The single packed pickles are like around $4 a piece, while you can get a full jar of pickles that size for about 5 or 6. I wonder, has anyone tries vacuum sealing pickles?

rocketsocks
06-28-2015, 20:48
The single packed pickles are like around $4 a piece, while you can get a full jar of pickles that size for about 5 or 6. I wonder, has anyone tries vacuum sealing pickles?
Ha, I would never pay $4 bucks for a pickle...just on principle, so it must have been some time ago.

Cedar1974
04-19-2016, 08:25

Actually I was wrong here, they are about $0.89 a piece, but I would still wan tto get them in bulk, and Sam's Club has them in a 12 pack individually wraped, but they are only available online.

zelph
04-19-2016, 20:29
Remember Timmons eating pickled eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61r2bzPHmI

zelph
04-23-2016, 09:20
Pickled eggs are very easy to make (Check the internet for recipes). My 3-year old grand-niece loved them! :) Every time she came for a visit, she would ask me for some. I would give her a jar of pickled eggs to take home so I could annoy her father, my nephew, who hates the smell of them! :mad: :D

You got me wanting individually wrapped, vacuum sealed, pickled eggs :-)