PDA

View Full Version : Greenville to Togue Pond Gate

ki0eh
06-27-2015, 16:44
Some maps show dotted lines like gravel roads going round from Greenville to Millinocket. Are these legal to use for thru traffic from Greenville to Baxter SP, and if so are permits needed and how do they work? Would it be a better idea just to stick to the paved roads through Dover-Foxcroft rather than to attempt driving thru here in a slightly rusty full size pickup with PA tag?

peakbagger
06-27-2015, 17:27
Unless things have changed lately, the road from Kokadjo to the Golden Road is open to the public and generally is kept in excellent shape. Unless there is active logging on it, its open for travel. It saves a heck of a lot of time versus public roads. There are many roads that cut off from the main road and few if any signs. The delorme gazateer is quite handy for navigating.

TJ aka Teej
06-27-2015, 21:11
I usually take the Greenville Road and Golden Road when heading to Baxter. It's very seldom I come in from Millinocket. Go slow, give the logging trucks the right of way, watch ahead for bumps, ruts, and rocks. There's no fee or permit on these roads. When you get to the top of Sias Hill you'll see pillars where the Company gates once stood. Watch for Moose.

ki0eh
06-27-2015, 23:00
I found my DeLorme from 2000 it does show gatehouses but not on these roads. Appreciate the info!

ki0eh
06-27-2015, 23:09
Where do you cut over from the Golden Road to the Baxter Park road?

chiefduffy
06-28-2015, 05:23
There are lots of cuts to the Park Rd east of Abol Bridge. The Old State road from Abol Bridge to the Park Road is in good shape this year, 4 miles of graded gravel.

ki0eh
08-16-2015, 14:08
Thanks to you guys, this was all helpful and worked out fine for our trip through at beginning of August 2015. We had a late lunch at the Stress Free Moose in Greenville and made it to Katahdin Stream campground with much daylight remaining. The only road junction that wasn't quite follow-your-nose obvious was the second major one north of Kokadjo but confirming our location on the auto GPS (although we did not trust that for directions of course) kept us on the right way. The most deeply rutted area was just north of those old gate posts on Sias Hill. We saw a moose in the next slough north of there. I would have been more antsy in our regular cars but nowhere did I feel anything close to a need to put our pickup in 4wd. Our only problem was that we forgot ice in Greenville and Abol Bridge was out. You Mainers are blessed to have such a treasure as BSP and we deeply appreciate the privilege to visit it.

TJ aka Teej
08-16-2015, 17:26
Glad you enjoyed your adventure!