PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Creek to Wesser - Fall Weather?

daveiniowa
06-27-2015, 17:13
Planning a section hike after being away for 20 years, starting at Dicks Creek Gap in Georgia to Wesser, NC. or further if all goes well this fall. Could any one tell me what to expect for weather conditions, mainly temps, from about mid September to mid October along this section of the trail.

Also, will I be ridiculed if I sport my 25 year old external frame pack? lol. Went to look at new packs and they did not even have any external frame packs in the store, W t F.

soumodeler
06-27-2015, 17:38
I did that section last year in mid October. Beautiful weather. Perfect temps for hiking. Had a little bit of fall color as well.

That said, you could end up with bad weather as well.

life scout
07-04-2015, 22:42
There is a. Great app available called Appilatian trail weather. I gives you altitude corrected weather at each shelter. Keep and eye on it for a couple weeks before your trip. Watch the local weather for cold fronts moving through the area. This will drop temps big time in the mountains.

glenlawson
07-04-2015, 23:42
Also, will I be ridiculed if I sport my 25 year old external frame pack? lol. Went to look at new packs and they did not even have any external frame packs in the store, W t F.

I have found there is a certain status to rocking the old-school. I took my old Wilderness Experience out about a year ago and some of the young guys wanted to look it over. They'd never seen one and were impressed at how the old gear holds up.

saltysack
07-05-2015, 00:22
There is a. Great app available called Appilatian trail weather. I gives you altitude corrected weather at each shelter. Keep and eye on it for a couple weeks before your trip. Watch the local weather for cold fronts moving through the area. This will drop temps big time in the mountains.

Never seen this???? News to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abatis1948
07-05-2015, 08:14
I have been using Appalachian Trail Weather app for over a year now. It is not 100% accurate, but the predictions are as close as the predictions of your local weather. I will continue to use it.

saltysack
07-05-2015, 08:18
I have been using Appalachian Trail Weather app for over a year now. It is not 100% accurate, but the predictions are as close as the predictions of your local weather. I will continue to use it.

I looked up at apple App Store.....can't find it? Android?

Abatis1948
07-05-2015, 08:50
I'm using Android. I went to App Store and typed in Appalachian Trail Weather and it popped up. Try again, it must b there somewhere.

saltysack
07-05-2015, 10:04
I guess android only...