PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone, how was your weekend? Go on any adventures? Let's talk!!

BenOnAdventures
06-28-2015, 13:53
As the title says, let's talk about your weekend adventures!! I just got back from Va Beach and Washington D.C, what did you all do this weekend?

Slo-go'en
06-28-2015, 14:36
Mowed my yard then vacuumed the pool at my friends motel and checked out a yard sale yesterday and now sitting around watching the rain and the wind blow branches off the trees around my house today :)

BirdBrain
06-28-2015, 17:14
My 2 week fishing trip went great. Hiking is next.

Odd Man Out
06-28-2015, 17:17
My 2 week fishing trip went great. Hiking is next.

Hiked to the beach at Rosy Mound. Saw a hen turkey with 5 chicks. They just stood in the trail for 5 minutes blocking our way until they wandered off.

ChrisJackson
06-28-2015, 17:21
My "youngins" beat me setting up camp and breaking down camp this weekend. It's not a race or anything but it still made me proud :-) it's on now though...

linus72
06-28-2015, 18:52
https://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/ -back on the AT in NY

FlyFishNut
06-28-2015, 22:03
Well- about a week and a half ago my arm started killing me (barely slept for 4 days, and my fingers went numb). Dr sent me to the Neurologist. Saw him a week ago Thursday. Said it was a pinched nerve.
I asked if running or exercising would do anymore damage, and he said no. Gave me 60 pain pills and 60 muscle relaxers and ordered an MRI.

Ran a night trail race last Friday and got 2nd in my age group (crossed finish line and popped a pill and chased it with a NoDa Cavu :-) Yum.

ran a few more times during the week and just tried to keep from pickling myself b/c of the pain.

Had the MRI this morning and freaked out due to claustrophobia! Chewed a valium and stuck it and made it through it. (Didn't know I was claustrophobic).
After my MRI, headed to the US Nat'l Whitewater Center and paddled for a couple hours.

I'm ready to get this pinched nerve thing behind me, it sux - but I'd be sore whether I was sitting on my arse or doing sum'n fun. C'est la vie.

garlic08
06-28-2015, 22:15
On Friday I rode 100 miles and 11,000 vertical feet by bicycle from my house in Golden to the summit of Mt Evans, 14,271', the highest paved road in North America.

On Saturday I helped build new trail for Jefferson County Open Space at White Ranch Park just north of Golden.

Today I took it a little easy. I helped evict a skunk from a crawlspace.

Venchka
06-28-2015, 22:34
Which part of the ride was more fun: Up or down?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Mags
06-29-2015, 00:01
On Friday I rode 100 miles and 11,000 vertical feet by bicycle from my house in Golden to the summit of Mt Evans, 14,271', the highest paved road in North America.

I was on Rosalie Peak Saturday looking at what you biked.... :)

I suspect my backpacking trip was easier. :O

runt13
06-29-2015, 06:42
Worked on the Harley in preparation of a 1200+ mile round trip to Ohio this coming holiday weekend. Big family BBQ out there.

Also practiced putting up my hammock, not only great for hiking but packs nice in the bikes saddlebag.

RUNT ''13''

Traffic Jam
06-29-2015, 08:42
It was a slow weekend at work. But last week I rode in a challenging (for me) bike ride then hiked for 3 days on the Benton MacKaye trail. It was hot but a lot of fun.

garlic08
06-29-2015, 08:46
Which part of the ride was more fun: Up or down?

Good question, actually. The descent was tough and dangerous. At 14K', there's just over half the air density at sea level and the acceleration on a bike is scary fast. I didn't bring spare brake shoes or tools so I had to be pretty careful with them. Pavement on tundra is hard to maintain and at times it felt like a third world road in the Andes. Add a few fat marmots running across the road. At least I had a bagful of clothing for the cold, unlike the guy I met who took the photo--I loaned him my rain jacket yet he was borderline hypothermic when we got back down to tree line.

Climbers say most accidents happen on the descent and it was pretty obvious to me that's true on a bike too. Whenever I'm at a summit, I think to myself, "OK, you're less than half way there--get ready for the hard part."

Marta
06-29-2015, 09:00
31147Crazy, hot hike from Goat Haunt to Waterton on Saturday. It was close to 100 degrees. The modest hike wiped me out.

31148Yesterday we hiked in the Red Rpcks area of Waterton NP. On the drive to the trailhead we saw three bears getting breakfast. Looked like they were eating grass and greens, not porridge.

Shutterbug
06-29-2015, 12:47
Mt. Rainier National Park. The wild flowers on Mt. Rainier are outstanding now -- a month earlier than normal. Snow level is around 7,000 feet, so most of the trials are snow free and dry. I hiked to Burrows Mountain #2 which provides an wonderful view of Mt. Rainier's summit.

Namtrag
06-29-2015, 14:21
Mowed the yard and got aggressively attacked by ground bees, spent rest of day recovering! :(

Oh....you meant hiking adventures, didn't you?

Odd Man Out
06-29-2015, 14:28
Mowed the yard and got aggressively attacked by ground bees, spent rest of day recovering! :(

Oh....you meant hiking adventures, didn't you?

Went for a walk at a local park yesterday evening after supper. After 100 yards we ran back to the car to escape the mosquitoes. It was an adventure.

BirdBrain
06-29-2015, 14:55
I can't compete with the above posts. 2 weeks of fishing was fairly event free... other than the many fish caught and released. About as close as I can come to reporting an adventure is driving my daughter to Logan in the wee hours.