PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to purchase a new pack?

Hoofit
06-28-2015, 16:00
As I have a full twelve months before I get back on the trail, does anyone know if there is a BEST time of year to pick up a decent pack, (and sleeping bag for that matter)?
Would I get more bang for my buck in the off season(jan/February) possibly?

MuddyWaters
06-28-2015, 16:13
The best time, is when the one you want is on sale.
That might be when the new models come out and last years go on clearance.
That might be around Black Friday, New Years, or any of several other holidays with sales.

However, if you wait for a sale, it might never come.
Some items like WM and Montbell bags get excluded from sales usually too.

Waiting for sales can save a lot of money. But, ...its time consuming and innefficient. Have your short list of items you will buy ready, and keep watching. Dont wait till there is a sale and then try to decide. Dont make price the sole reason for buying anything either, it can be one reason to select among diff top choices.

Keep looking for the same items in used condition too. Much better deal, especially if decide an item isnt for you.

OCDave
06-28-2015, 17:21
The best time, is when the one you want is on sale....

+1 You know you can at minimum, get 20% any one item carried by REI several times a year. I have a list of higher dollar items waiting for a member coupon.

Another option, just ask for a discount. If you have several expensive items to buy, your local retailer may extend a discount were you to commit to a large purchase.

Good Luck

Water Rat
06-28-2015, 17:44
Have you tried looking at the used gear section on this site? There are a lot of items that have been purchased and used maybe 1-2 times (or never used) and then sold because things (for whatever reason) just did not work out for the buyer. There are lots of deals to be had.... Do you have a specific backpack in mind? That info might help us to better answer your question.

There are also lots of "deal of the day" opportunities out there...

Venchka
06-28-2015, 17:55
Or...
The best time might be when a new model comes out that may be clearly better than the previous model which was on your short list. Example: Back in May Osprey debuted an updated version of the Atmos Series called the Atmos AG (for anti-gravity). REI had them first with incentives.
Basically, this far in advance, your perfect gear item may not even be on the market yet. TarpTents brought out a new model-the ProTrail last spring.
In the meantime, the used gear for sale forum here is a good lace to list. Make a short list of packs. Don't forget you need to know your size. When a pack that meets your criteria comes up for sale, POUNCE on it.

Wayne

Hoofit
06-28-2015, 18:14
I keep coming back to Western Mountaineering, the Megalite and now the Terralite but 450 is beyond me......as Muddy Waters said, they just don't seem to reduce their prices...thought that maybe I was just missing a certain time of year.
Looking for a nice wide, quality down bag but was hoping to find something closer to 250/275 in price, right around the magic 2lb mark, 20 to 30 degrees.
Surely sales slow down in the winter, maybe that doesn't matter if your quality is as good as WM.
I have time on my hands so all is well, I'll keep looking.
I have no real objections to "almost new" packs, just prefer a virgin bag to sleep in.
I checked out REI , about seventy miles north of here in Jax, Fl., but everything seemed to be so highly priced that their discount didn't add up to a whole lot of beans. Handy for checking out certain gear and trying certain packs on for size but not too tempting to get out the wallet for.
Having said that, they don't stock WM or ULA packs, the two items that interest me.

Hoofit
06-28-2015, 18:19
True, I haven't really followed the used gear forum here on Whiteblaze, thanks for any suggestions , they're all welcome!
One of the advantages of store bought gear is that I can return it if I am not happy with it.

Cedar1974
06-28-2015, 18:37
I'd also suggest getting your new pack at the earliest point you can. It will give you time to learn the pack before you use it. But yes, Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals are usually good. Heck, lots of gear places have sales right now because of July 4th coming up.

OCDave
06-28-2015, 18:37
...Having said that, they don't stock WM or ULA packs, the two items that interest me.

Contact these manufacturers and ask for a list of retailers in your area. A local retailer in my area issues 20% off coupons every time REI has a sale. I have saved 20% on my ULA and WM products.

Venchka
06-28-2015, 18:58
From everything I have read online, Western Mountaineering bag deals tend to be found in shops with little or no advertising. Back in March I went to a shop in Charlotte, NC to look at an Alpinlite and a Megalite. Both were size large and both had been on display for sometime. I'm only 5'-8" so I wasn't very interested at first. After I explained that I had come from Houston and stopped at the store on my way to my daughter's home in Boone, the manager became very eager to sell me a sleeping bag. Long story short, I left with the large Alpinlite. Still not cheap, but I did save some money.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

v1k1ng1001
06-28-2015, 19:22
Check massdrop every couple days. I recently saw ula cuben packs at their normal pricing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
06-28-2015, 21:16
I always seem to find good buys on gear around presidents day weekend (2nd week in Feb I think) after Christmas stock is gone and before new arrivals for the spring...last years models are always a bonus for me.

Hoofit
06-28-2015, 21:27
Some good leads..many thanx!

Deadeye
06-28-2015, 22:43
Packs are freshest in the spring, after that they tend to get stiff and fibrous.

rocketsocks
06-29-2015, 00:50
Packs are freshest in the spring, after that they tend to get stiff and fibrous.
Especially the young little day packs, cute though they are.

Tuckahoe
06-29-2015, 09:03
Another option is that many online retailers offer 10-25% off deals on a customer's first purchase if they sign up for their email/junk mail list. I keep a junk emaill address for such things.

Coffee
06-29-2015, 09:09
I believe that zPacks offered $25 off big ticket items including packs during the holiday season last year. Although who knows if they will repeat that. With a seemingly perpetual multi week lead time, I guess they have no need to discount at all!

Bronk
06-29-2015, 10:29
If there's something I absolutely need I buy the cheap Walmart version to get by until I can find a deal on something. I check the Bargain Cave at Cabela's first when I'm looking for a deal. I once got a $100 sleeping bag there for $29.99.

Tipi Walter
06-29-2015, 10:50
As I have a full twelve months before I get back on the trail, does anyone know if there is a BEST time of year to pick up a decent pack, (and sleeping bag for that matter)?

12 months until you go backpacking? That's crazy. Get a pack today and go out this weekend and for the next 40 or so weekends if possible. If not possible, get a sleeping bag and pad and shelter and start sleeping out tonight in your backyard or on your porch or deck.

Hoofit
06-29-2015, 19:16
12 months until you go backpacking? That's crazy. Get a pack today and go out this weekend and for the next 40 or so weekends if possible. If not possible, get a sleeping bag and pad and shelter and start sleeping out tonight in your backyard or on your porch or deck.
I'll be doing plenty of backpacking before next summer, that's for sure, and I already have some pretty good gear that sufficed for the first 1400 miles on the AT....
But my next big trip has to wait until next summer as the remaining eight hundred miles to Katahdin will take a couple of months and I just don't have money or more importantly the time to do it this year. And I really love extended hikes in the woods. My only complaint comes from a twisted back so I could really benefit from some lighter gear. Living here in Florida is a tough place to hike and camp most of the year, especially for a Brit like me that loves the mountains. So I made do with hiking some of the Florida trail last winter, good but just not the same.Next year I retire, things are gonna change around here!
Enjoying your posts Tipi, have fun out there!

Walkintom
06-29-2015, 19:39
Go talk to your local shop, if you have one.

Tell them what your budget is, and what pack you want to get. Let them know you're serious about finding a deal and ready to spend if it comes along.

Sometimes they find ways to make things happen. Especially when you have such a large time window.

Hoofit
06-29-2015, 19:58
Worth a try Walkintom...Black Creek Outfitters had the only store in Jax,fl for a long time until REI moved in almost next door. And they do stock WM bags...got me thinking that there might be a deal there somewhere down the line..maybe a return...worth the 70 mile trip as I also have family up there!