PDA

View Full Version : Who inspired you?

Auntie Mame
11-19-2005, 13:57
I would love to hear more about the major influences on us as women, developing an interest in hiking. I had, as a girl, somewhat opposing aspects of girly-girlness and outdoor enthusiasm. Girls scouts for a few years encouraged outdoorsmanship, then teaching at a summer camp for 4 years added to that. Scout leaders and the camp director were huge models for being competent, which countered the element of passivity that I saw in some of the women in my immediate family. I met some kids in the Outing Club at UMass and went on a few day trips there. Then, marrying a guy who loved hiking got me into it as an adult. We took our kids on long weekend jaunts throughout their childhoods. In retrospect, I am SO glad I was as fortunate as I was in learning to enjoy the outdoors. I am not very competitive or fast, so have not been influenced by team sports, but have walked and jogged off and on, which has kept me able to do outdoor activities. Here's to trails n' trees.:banana

Spirit Walker
11-19-2005, 22:19
No single source of inspiration for me.

I hiked some when I was young, but I wasn't at all into it. My family never hiked or camped. Dad was a geologist, so he had done a lot of it on the job when he was starting out, but he never did it for fun. Mom hated heat, so she never spent any time outside except by a pool. In Scouts we went on one or two hikes a year for a couple of the years I was a Scout, but I quit when I got to high school. I did some wandering on my own, just to explore the desert where we lived, but was not a regular hiker by any means. A few years later, as an exchange student, I lived with a family that hiked almost every week. I thought they were crazy, and they had to bribe me up the mountains. (We have lunch. You can stay here and wait for us, or come to the top of the mountain with us. Needless to say, I kept walking.) They got me used to the idea of hiking on a regular basis. I went to college in LA - no hiking there, especially since few of us had cars. My brother and sister both spent time in the mountains, and they were the ones that taught me to consider spending time alone in the mountains normal, but their styles were very different. My brother liked to bushwhack into remote corners of the desert, looking for snakes, mines and Indian ruins. My sister liked to sit under a tree with a book of poetry. Neither understands my kind of focused point to point hiking at all.

I really started hiking more or less by accident, when I was about 30. During a period of serious emotional problems at home, I discovered that walking helped me to cope with the stress. I began walking more and more. The more I walked, the happier I was. Soon it became a habit - I walked to work every day for about five years, and hiked every weekend. After about a year, I decided I wanted to see what was in the far reaches of the mountains, the places I couldn't visit on a dayhike, so I began backpacking. Then I heard a radio interview with Steve Newman, who walked around the world. (He wrote a great book called "Worldwalk" about his adventures.) I really wished I could do something like that, but knew that as a female I would not be willing to risk the dangers that arise in places like North Africa or South America when you are a woman alone. Soon after I read an article about the AT and decided, "That I can do. It's not as risky as traveling around the world, but it would be an adventure. And it's hiking!" So I did. And that changed my life, so hiking really is the most important part of my life, aside from my marriage. And fortunately, I married a hiker, so I don't have to choose.

So, bottom line, not one major influence, and certainly not one of the ones that you list, but a lot of little ones - the family I lived with in France, my brother and sister, Steve Newman, and finally Walkin' Jim Stoltz - whose photos and music made me want to go to the wilder places, far beyond the AT.

Turtle2
11-20-2005, 20:36
I was lucky that my Dad was a Scoutmaster and let me go on the monthly campout with the guys until I was about 8 years old at which time Mother made me join the Girl Scouts (never did anything worthwhile, who wants a housekeeping merit badge anyway) We went to Philmont Scout Ranch when I was 6 camping out all the way. I suppose I didn't know most folks didn't do that. Dad could make a mean pie, cake and biscuits in his dutch oven!

DebW
11-20-2005, 21:47
I started hiking with friends in high school. We could often get one of our parents to go with us on an overnight hike. Then I joined Explorer Scouts and went to Philmont, which was a wonderful experience. We had an Explorer Troop of all girls formed just to go to Philmont. In college I joined the MIT Outing Club and became an above timberline hike leader and chair of the Winter Safety Committee, running our winter hiking school for a couple years. I was relegated to day hiking for 15 years when my kids were young, then started taking them on overnights. Began section hiking the AT in 2001. Became a trail maintainer in 2003.

stargate
11-20-2005, 22:05
I don't know what got me into hiking. My parents camped every now and then when I was growing up but never hiked. I've been trying to get my children more into hiking but not sure if that is going well. I started out hiking because of vehicle problems, and the cost of gas. I took two months in 2001 with my children and we traveled across the US in our Suburban. I think hiking just apeals more to me than driving because after our trip I see all the things that I missed while driving. I would like to hike every state someday. But will have to wait for my youngest to get alittle older for that kind of trip. We were planning to hike the AT 2006, but have since had to cut it down to a couple of months. I believe that if my kids could just see the world the way it was meant to be seen then they would love it as much as I do.

But as for anyone influencing me to hike I guess I would have to say I did. I still don't know anyone who hikes. And most people that I do know think that we have lost our minds with wanting to hike the AT at all.

But we plan to start out first week of June and hike until end of July or early August. Not sure wether to NOBO or SOBO. Given the time of year leaning more to SOBO at the moment. Will just have to wait and see.

Red Hat
11-21-2005, 12:57
I began as a Brownie Scout back in the early 50s and continued all the way through high school. I became an assistant leader during college and kept up my membership in early marriage. When my girls were old enough, I became a troop leader. Unfortunately, my daughters never developed the same love of Scouting that I had, and eventually dropped out.

It wasn't until all my kids were grown up that I took up long distance hiking. Now I can't get it out of my system! Back to the AT for another section this year, not sure where or when yet, as I have a new grandbaby due....

Blister
11-21-2005, 16:11
Growing up my family rarely vacationed together and when we did it did not envolve the outdoors. In my college years I was informed that as a student I could loan out gear from our outing department with just a college ID. My first solo night in a tent was somewhere around mount greylock in the pouring rain. Other than that all I did was minor day hikes with my friends. Back in the early/mid 90's I met a man and his friends all whom had hiked the AT numerous times. We planned a PCT thru hike together and from there I have been addicted. I cannot say that these individuals are my inspiration however they are responsible for my addiction and I thank them for it. When I am out on the trail I like to think of all those who have tread before me. Knowing that they have been successful leads me to believe that I also will be. Just becoming part of the "lands" legacy is my inspiration. I will or have become part of history in this world. A traveler, an adventurer, I have only just begun.

JojoSmiley
11-22-2005, 13:32
I did noly a little hiking before I joined the navy. I was inspired tho at age 10 to someday hike the AT. It took another 30 years or so before it became a reality. Once I was over being sore on my first hike I fell in love with being out hiking and spending the nights out with nature, regardless of the weather or conditions. Met my husband out there so it turned out to be a pretty good experience so far overall. Next adventure for me is the PCT in 07 and looking forward to it.

jackiebolen
11-22-2005, 13:53
My family went on vacations to Banff and Jasper and Waterton when I was a kid and would go on hikes that were more like walks. But it did encourage my love for the mountains. Later on, during university I got more into the outdoors scene.

Working at kids camps in the mountains has been pretty influential in my life too.

Auntie Mame
11-22-2005, 14:14
Its inspiring for me to read the accounts that you are sending in! Thanks to all who have contributed. There are few hikers among my close friends, and its great to hear more about women who have, or who aspire to, hike the AT in some fashion. Feel like I have a relationship to the trail, even though it is not a person. It is some kind of being, however.

Pennsylvania Rose
11-22-2005, 16:46
I don't know why I started hiking. My parents' idea of the great outdoors is sitting on the front porch sipping a glass of wine. I was in Girl Scouts as a kid, but the most outdoorsy thing our troop did was stay at a lodge for one night once a year. I quit Cadettes in 7th grade because we were spending 6 weeks working on our self-esteem, discussing makeup, etc.

In high school I joined an outdoors-oriented Boy Scouts Explorers Post. I caved, canoed, and rafted a lot, but did no backpacking. Then at 18 I got a wild hair and decided to get on the AT and take it as far as I could. Boy, was my mom ticked!!! I didn't hike past Erwin that year, but I became obsessed with backpacking. I even corrupted my younger brother, who is now a proud ski, backpack, rock-climbing bum.

frieden
11-22-2005, 18:06
My parents took me camping, when I was only a few months old. Twice a year, we would go hiking and camping in the Rockies and Smokies, and camped locally every chance we got (even if it meant putting up the tent in the backyard). When I got older, I joined Brownies, and my mom was our Girl Scout leader. I stopped hiking, when I got married, but the memories stayed with me.

gsingjane
11-22-2005, 19:45
I discovered a love of the outdoors, and strenuous activity in the outdoors, via Girl Scouting (late '60's, early '70's). Continued a bit through college and then life in the form of husband, first job, professional degree, working, city life, pregnancies, babies, sick relatives and a million other things intervened for many years. I got back into the outdoor life five years ago when I became a GS leader for my then-young daughter. We were required to go on an overnight camping trip to be trained to run them ourselves (makes sense, huh?) and when I went up to that Girl Scout camp, it felt like coming home. Boy, the old songs, the crafts, the tents and even the latrines!

Since then it has been a progression of car camping, group overnights, day hiking, and backpacking. My two middle children are my hiking partners and it is the highest-quality time I have spent with my kids, any time, any where. We hiked all the AT in Connecticut this summer (okay, not a big achievement to many of the super-hikers, but it was impressive to US!) and are planning to tackle NY state next summer. I feel really blessed that I was able to re-enter this wonderful world, where hopefully we will continue to dwell for many years.

Jane in CT

Mouse
11-22-2005, 19:54
I can blame it partly on the Army and partly on two women who invited me on a twenty mile three day trip up the Big Sur River. That trip is what really got me hooked. Within weeks I was going out alone and then made plans for my thuhike.

neo
11-23-2005, 16:26
no one really,i have been drawn to the woods since i was 4 years old,it went in the woods alone and made it back,it was quite an adventure going into the
woods alone for a couple hours at that age:cool: neo

Rollergirl
11-26-2005, 00:55
Gosh, I hated hiking as a kid. My dad would literally force my brother and I to go walking down by the local creek in the fall or in National Parks during summer vacations. I always wanted to be doing something else.

And then I met some friends in college who were of the outdoorsy persuasion. Even then, I didn't really say, "Hey, I know, let's go hiking this weekend!"

My first overnight backpacking trip actually ended up being a 1000 miles of the PCT with my best friend Mike after my senior year of college. One night over coffee, he said we got along so well that he wanted to see if I'd be interested in hiking on the PCT with him; he'd done the JMT and really wanted to do a longer section. He said I was someone he didn't think he'd get annoyed with. And after that 56 day trip on the PCT, I was hooked! I've been hiking ever since! :D

Blissful
11-29-2005, 20:53
One of the joys I had growing up was the hikes I took with Dad in the Catskills Mtns of NY. That and special trips to SNP in VA. We always did day hikes in the national parks. Also, my brother took me on my first AT hike in SNP - day hike, that is, and cooked me soup on his stove in front of the Rock Spring cabin. I was in heaven.

As for overnighters, that didn't happen until I met my dh who loves to backpack.

Blissful
11-29-2005, 20:58
Honestly - looking at the polls, I wonder if Girl Scouts is different now then it used to be. I would love to see the girls do some good backpacking! 30 years ago, we were lucky to do a day hike (I recall one hike as a scout). Never any backpacking trips. Just car camping, to a jamboree type thing, etc., in those huge tents. And then we sold the usual cookies and worked on merit badges, like cooking.

One Leg
11-30-2005, 06:09
For me, it was Bill Irwin.... (and yes, I know I'm responding to a female forum)

Appalachia
11-30-2005, 11:19
Can't rightfully give any of the above credit.
I grew-up a city girl (outer Detroit area), although I always loved the outdoors and nature.
At the age of 8 or 9, I read a fantastic book, "My Side of The Mountain", which gave wonderful images of the Catskill Mtns and living in wilderness.
I believe I've been seeking ways to discover the outdoors ever since.
Having a great friend to enjoy the trip with has been a recent motivation, as well.

gsingjane
11-30-2005, 20:58
Blissful... to answer your question about Girl Scouts... as a long-time leader... the answer is, yes, and no. Girl Scouting, unlike Boy Scouting, does not follow a standard progression in terms ot rank, so there are no benchmarks girls have to hit to progress to the next level, as they do in BSA. How outdoors-y the troop is, is almost entirely up to the individual leaders. As a girl gets older, she can also seek out outdoors experiences via the national GS/USA program (the old "wider ops" if you remember those). Girl Scouting is also something more of a girl-driven program than is BSA. If the majority of the girls in the troop want to do camping, hiking and backpacking, then if it's working the way it's supposed to, the troop will do those things - but if the girls are more oriented towards other activities, then the leader shouldn't force the girls to go out if they really don't want to. Another point is that many girls leave Girl Scouting by 5th or 6th grade - this is the time when any Scout troop will start getting out into the outdoors on a more serious basis (even most Cub troops don't do much serious outdoor stuff).

If you (or anyone on this board) has any interest in promoting outdoors activity for girls, I'd strongly recommend you locate your local council and figure out how you can get involved. Most GS leaders, it's true, do NOT tend to be experienced outdoorswomen, but would very much enjoy having strong, positive, outdoors-y role models for their girls. I know I would!

Jane in CT

docllamacoy
12-05-2005, 14:33
I went to Rockbrook Camp in North Carolina. That is where I developed my love for hiking and where I took my first hike on the Appalachian Trail.

4whim
01-06-2006, 19:34
I was literally inspired by the book: A Walk In the Woods. Years of triathlons, passionate about cycling particularly mntn biking,,,interests have changed over the years and thot I'd just do it,,,, :). But have to credit my father's sense of adventure, being an avid reader and researching whatever sounds like fun,,,,,

Whiz Kid
01-07-2006, 19:51
Bill Bryson

drsukie
01-07-2006, 20:00
None of the above; friends who loved to hike and camp. I was a girl scout, but that did not get me interested. I started hiking in earnest (for fun, that is) after I hit my 40's... Sue

CreakyBonze
02-02-2006, 20:23
My daughter. I had been active in scouts and primative camping as a teenager, but never backpacked, and for that matter, never even thought of a thing called the AT.

But my daughter hiked SOBO and I was her support person. Her cards, letters and phone calls got me hooked. And it simmered in the back of my mind until Nov 30 2004, a year to the day after I retired. I made my first attempt last year, and yes, she is MY support person.

I'll try again this year, about mid-March...and once again, my inspiration will be the support person for her mother.

"You don't stop playing because you grow old,...you grow old because you stop playing".

onicoe
02-02-2006, 21:27
i was in the Girl Scouts for the longest time. loved it. i wish i could've spent all summer at girl scout camp. sometimes i wish i had a younger cousin that lived near me so i could still keep up with it.

but, i've always liked playing about in the woods. i live in a town with just enough people to not be rural and my house is surrounded by woods. Lots of childhood days were spent climbing trees and catching frogs. (there was a small pond in the back) i guess i'm one of the lucky ones. [:

tallfran
03-24-2007, 05:14
My family traveled a lot on vacations and camped, but did not hike. However we were members of an organization called the National Campers and Hikers Association (NCHA). At the first national NCHA convention, held at the Lake of the Ozarks State Park in Missouri, the guest of honor was Emma "Grandma" Gatewood. I was 12 or 13 at the time, and I was really impressed with this feisty older woman who had hiked the AT. She led us kids on hikes in the park and talked with us about her hike. I said "That's neat. I'm going to do that when I grow up". I have never really grown up, but I've gotten a lot older... 2006 was my year to hike. I didn't make it all the way, but plan to section hike the rest. Here's to Grandma Gatewood!

moxie
03-24-2007, 12:35
I am a man on the womans forum but I wanted to mention a wonderful book by a woman that did more to inspire me than any other. "There Are Mountains To Climb" by Jean Deeds. Now I have plugged this wonderful short and easy reading book I'll get off your forum. Appologize for being here but the inspired thread inspired me to come.

mapgirl
03-25-2007, 10:13
I was a girl scout for years and enjoyed the outdoor activities, but then I virtually forgot about all of that. I met my husband in my late twenties. On one of our early dates, he took me to a spot along the Appalachian Trail that involved climbing up rocks. As I was making my way he asked, "Do I know how to show a girl a good time?" The simple answer is "Yes." The longer answer is that from then on I was hooked. I remember he had this little orange book describing the trail. It made no sense to me. Eventually I figured it out and have greatly added to the guidebook and map collection. I now guide our hikes, taking my husband to places he couldn't find on his own. What a wonderful trip.

buddha_child
05-08-2007, 14:14
We used to have a reflection period every morning at Glenkirk Summer camp in Northern Virginia. We had to walk out into the woods on our own until we couldn't see anyone else and sit with our thoughts, a book or a notepad. I always went alone with my thoughts and once, in the dawn's quiet dimness, I sat until shafts of light spread onto the mossy forest floor. I ran my hands through the warm beams and the shadows and light sparkled softly on dewy beads hanging lightly off of the ferns. As young as I was at the time, I realized it doesn't get much greater than that. The Earth is a spectacular place.

These are the moments I love. Glenkirk and girl scouts, exploring the national park land surrounding the neighborhood, gardening with my father, camping with friends and family. Hiking has come in more recently as a way to reconnect with those most precious memories and shed some weight without cramping myself into a sweaty, nasty gym. It's easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of bills and cars and work.
I'm ready for a great escape into the outdoors! :sun
-Elizabeth

P.S. I love reading everyone else's reasons!:jump

Joon
05-09-2007, 08:17
From my young, young days my dad took me and my brother car camping, and we spent time walking and scrambling (not exactly "climbing" :-) ) in the woods.

But it was the overnight hikes from summer camp that really gave me the bug for hiking.

I haven't done so much hiking in recent years, but plan to do more this year!

birdygal
07-10-2007, 17:59
I just started but love it. Motivation was quitting smoking (gained alot of weight) and living right next door to the Pinhoti trail

soulshine26
07-10-2007, 22:37
Ha, I actually started hiking with my first serious boyfriend (just out of high school). I didn't really 'want' to go hiking, but did it anyway to impress him. Then I got out in the woods and loved it. After we broke up, I kept going out in the woods as much as I could with friends... and when I met my husband and he said he'd always wanted to go: we started hiking and backpacking together. :D

Jan LiteShoe
07-10-2007, 23:06
I am a man on the womans forum but I wanted to mention a wonderful book by a woman that did more to inspire me than any other. "There Are Mountains To Climb" by Jean Deeds. Now I have plugged this wonderful short and easy reading book I'll get off your forum. Appologize for being here but the inspired thread inspired me to come.

Same for me, Moxie. Same book. I read Jean Deeds' story and thought "... she did it alone... maybe I could too. " She was older than me, and hiked the AT solo.

Reading that book, it was like a bomb went off in my subconscious. I had never backacked before, though I liked to (car) camp. I started waking up sweating in fear, knowing I was going to try hiking the AT - and the idea terrified. I had just never thought about backpacking, much less the AT, but after her book, I was obsessed.

I've wriiten to tell her all this, and gotten a nice note in return. Classy lady.

aufgahoban
07-11-2007, 08:35
I was extrememly fortunate to have spent my summers at a girl scout camp in New Mexico in the 70's. Yes, times have changed. I can't see todays girls even surviving at that camp. No place to charge their cell phones. It was a tough camp. One of my favorite counselors, who led me over miles of trails and who was probably my single greatest influence as far as hiking and who instilled in us all a deep sense of respect for nature is now the Governor of Arizona. (Janet Napolitano) Her camp name was Nap. I'm pretty sure she still hikes whenever she gets the chance. :-)

RockStar
07-11-2007, 08:36
My best friend at work Dale hiked the A.T. in 2000 (Caretaker). We talked about it before he left and I made him tell me as many stories as he could stand when he returned. I was the onlyone that wanted to hear them and he was glad. I was about 19 when he first started talking about Thru hiking the Appalachian Trail. I am now 27. Finally in '06 I had a chance to try. My attempt ended at the GA/NC state line. I am going back Spring of '08 to try again.

kroe
02-07-2008, 00:14
For me, the leap from first hearing of the AT and deciding to hike it took just under a minute. It was 3 weeks after my 10th birthday and my friend Hester told me and another friend Lauren about it and suggested we hike it upon graduating from high school. We made extensive plans, including how we were going to "live off the land" and see no civilization for the entire 6 months.
Perhaps it's strange that such an impulsive childhood decision would stay with me for so long, but ever since then I've always known in the back of my mind that, upon graduating high school, I would hike the AT. The more I learned about the trail and the people who hiked it, the more certain I've become. Even more surprising is that Hester also still wants to hike the AT with me; out of our original party of 3 ten year olds, 2 are actually going to make the trip together. I think that's pretty impressive, actually.
Anyway, I've grown up in middle class suburbia without too many hiking opportunities (I've only spent about 10 nights in a tent), so it was really something internal in me that's led me to want to hike the Appalachian Trail. I can't really put my finger on it... no one close to me wanted to hike it, none of the women in my family are hikers (although my godmother was quite the hiker until she was forced to quit by her MS), and I've never really had any strong hiking role models. I've just loved the little hiking I've done beyond belief and have always had this knowledge, if you will, that I'm going to hike this trail.

tina.anderson
02-07-2008, 17:56
My dad really deserves most of the credit for starting me on hiking when I was very young. My mom always went too, and my older brother and sister were also an influence, but if it was not for my father none of us would be hikers today.

wtmntcaretaker
02-07-2008, 18:01
My dad was an avid hikerwhen I was little and tried getting me into it but WOW I hated it. He did it alone mostly and left me and my mom to our chick flicks. (I love chick flicks). But when I graduated highschool I approched my father with a dilems I was having. I said, "now I have no school sports to keep me fit, I dont want to be fat and lethargic. what should I do?" He very calmly suggested hiking and I have been loving it since! Thanks Dad

AlwaysHiking
02-07-2008, 18:05
I don't fall into any of those choices. It was mostly my friends who got me into backpacking. I guess my first real outdoor experiences happened as a kid with my grandfather. He owned property across two mountains and we had several hundreds of acres in the hills of WV to explore with him and then on our own as we got older. Even with growing up that way, I don't think I would've gotten into outdoor activity as a teenager if it hadn't been for my friend's though.

BuckeyeGRRL
02-07-2008, 19:57
I think the great outdoors inspired me. I grew up playing in the woods, making forts and camp "food", and attempting campfires (until a sibling would run and tell) it only makes sense to continue doing so as an adult. Except NO ONE tells on me for making fires now! :)

Tenacious Tanasi
02-07-2008, 20:15
Well, I think that there should have been another selection on this poll. "Other"

My family hates that I hike. Girl scouting in this area is pretty dull and the majority of women who are leaders are sadly lacking in outdoor skills. As far as camps, it was pretty much not offered at any of the youth camps I attended ( 4-H, bible, and other youth ). I am working on my college later in life and do it via internet so no college influence there.

My influence was to crazy we picked up hitchhiking once when I was about 10. They were from England and Scotland. They were very cool, but very smelly! LOL

However, hearing Doug & Jackie talk about their trip was fascinating.

I've wanted to hike the AT ever since.

Seeker
02-07-2008, 23:49
knock, knock... man entering women's forum.

sorry to intrude. i didn't respond to the poll, but wanted to let other guys know that camping and hiking's not just for boys. i've got 2 daughters, 13 and 17 now. the oldest used to go on dayhikes with me when we lived near the smokies. she's "too cool" for that now, but maybe it will come back.

the youngest is a nature junkie, and has been since birth. if she didn't get an hour of fresh air a day, rain or shine, she was impossible to live with... we recently moved from the middle of a huge subdivision into a house on the edge of a tiny one, in a small town. there are plenty of woods behind the house. she disappeared one day for a couple hours. turned out she'd taken her homework to do in the woods, just to be outside. now it's almost a daily thing (well, when it's not winter). and she still hikes with me, and car camps (i'm working on the backpacking thing).

i've always pushed both of them to be independent. they helped me with home repair projects, went hiking and camping with me (short trips), and i am merciless in making them kill their own spiders. each has responded differently to their upbringing, but i think i did a pretty good job, and hopefully they'll pass it on to their own kids... so you guys out there, take your daughters camping... it's good for them.

desdemona
02-08-2008, 00:11
I love reading these stories so here's mine. I am probably older than many of you. It was mom in a weird sort of way.

Scouts were very much about outdoors when I was in, and it was my mom. She loved this sort of thing. However, we never did it as a family as dad said it was just like WW2-- sleeping in a tent and eating spam and sh** on shingles (chipped beef).

I grew up and forgot about it mostly. I'd go out and go on short walks. Then mom died. To get my bearings I went out in to the nearby mountains. I had quite a few of what seemed like "mom experiences" out there that day and they were wonderful. That was only a few months ago.

--des

tx.katie.finch
02-21-2008, 00:07
I think my first hiking inspiration came when I was about 11 years old and my dad was a scoutmaster. I was allowed to go on the monthly campouts, which usually consisted of hiking at some point. When I was 15, I got to go to Philmont the first time, and when I was 16, I got to go on Rayado (but got sick half way through and had to leave the trail.)
We went on camping trips as a family ever since I can remember (in fact, one of my first memories is camping during pouring rain in the cold, eating soggy hot dogs that my dad had tried to warm up with the campfire, but were cold and wet by the time they reached us).
In addition to this, I worked at a scout camp for 5 years, making some of the best friends I have ever had. It's nice to have people that you can call up after 6 months and talk, like it was yesterday.
I married my husband, who I met at scout camp, whom also loves camping. However, he has never backpacked (Changing next month!![shake down]).

arasjane
02-25-2008, 12:29
Although I have as a kid, My best friend father/mother finally got me out on the At in 2004. I have posted about this trip elsewhere. I call them Maw & Paw. People in the south thought they were my parents, so we ran with it!

Jan LiteShoe
02-25-2008, 13:57
My inspiration? I'd have to nominate Mother Nature.

I think I was born with it, the love of nature. Hiking was a natural extension of that (the concept of a journey has also always grabbed me).

. But then, I'm from that last generation without IPods, Nintendo, Blackberries and computers; Mom just kicked us outside when she wanted some peace, LOL. Although, I confess, I watched my share of Gilligan's Island. Don't hold it against me, I didn't know any better. ha! Now that I have come of age, I killed my TV - years ago. I prefer gardening and walking.

I hung with our Girl Scout troop for years, but mostly they did origami. Very frustrating! I wanted to go camping!

Hiking a long trail for six months or more was heaven to me. Hard, sweaty, rainy, blistered heaven, but heaven nonetheless.

tenlots
02-26-2008, 22:45
I never went far in the girl scouts, only to the brownies. My husband and I went hiking when our children were infants. Personally I didn't like camping, it was uncomfortable and dirty. Time went by and my last child was grown up. I was 49 and lost. I worked several years nonstop and got tired of that. It took me some months to remember what I like as a 16 year old, when I was young and few responsibilites. My friend from work was in the same boat. It was actually a lightening strike. We would both hike the trail, 100 miles every year until we were done. We are leaving for our 4th year in April and loving every hard minute of it.

elray
02-26-2008, 23:02
Sorry, wrong forum