PDA

View Full Version : Bear proofing

Ceaster22
06-28-2015, 22:51
It may be a dumb question but would bear proofing be necessary for a three day hike from three forks to blood mountain in july? I know it would be north of blood mountain. Thanks

DavidNH
06-29-2015, 08:49
what do you mean by bear proofing? if you mean should you hang your food the answer is probably yes. Bear spray? no. Bear proof canisters to carry food? that be over kill. Generally speaking, mice are a far bigger concern than bears.

Ceaster22
06-29-2015, 14:41
Pretty much talking about cannisters. I was planning on hanging anyways with a seal line bag but wasn't sure if a cannister would be necessary. Thank you

ChrisJackson
06-29-2015, 14:48
For reference re canisters in this area: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf

swisscross
06-29-2015, 15:50
Pretty much talking about cannisters. I was planning on hanging anyways with a seal line bag but wasn't sure if a cannister would be necessary. Thank you

SealLine bags are nice but are a little over kill for a food/bear bag.
A simple silnylon or ZPacks food bag would do just as well and much lighter.

Fredt4
06-29-2015, 16:00
what do you mean by bear proofing? No such thing for hikers, just bear management.

if you mean should you hang your food the answer is probably yes. The issue has been discussed and most (some) experienced hikers will strongly advise against hanging from trees as the bears know how to easily defeat this.

[/QUOTE] Bear spray? no. [/QUOTE] It's probably not necessary but I don't believe anyone that has been killed by a bear had bear spray. (Also no one killed by sharks had bear spray, just saying.)

Bear proof canisters to carry food? In the Blood Mountain area if you plan to leave your food unattended (as in a tree) then I'd strongly recommend you use a bear canisters.

that be over kill. Bears are active in the area, if you're asking the question it's probably not overkill.

Generally speaking, mice are a far bigger concern than bears. Agreed, but in that area bears are a real concern. Either sleep with your food or use a bear canister. I've yet to hear of a bear that took food from someone that was sleeping with their food and I've seen bears take food from trees in that area. Plus many have reported that bears have gotten their food hangs. So, yes bears in that area are a real problem.

Fredt4
06-29-2015, 16:01
what do you mean by bear proofing? No such thing for hikers, just bear management.

if you mean should you hang your food the answer is probably yes. The issue has been discussed and most (some) experienced hikers will strongly advise against hanging from trees as the bears know how to easily defeat this.

[/QUOTE] Bear spray? no. [/QUOTE] It's probably not necessary but I don't believe anyone that has been killed by a bear had bear spray. (Also no one killed by sharks had bear spray, just saying.)

Bear proof canisters to carry food? In the Blood Mountain area if you plan to leave your food unattended (as in a tree) then I'd strongly recommend you use a bear canisters.

that be over kill. Bears are active in the area, if you're asking the question it's probably not overkill.

Generally speaking, mice are a far bigger concern than bears. Agreed, but in that area bears are a real concern. Either sleep with your food or use a bear canister. I've yet to hear of a bear that took food from someone that was sleeping with their food and I've seen bears take food from trees in that area. Plus many have reported that bears have gotten their food hangs. So, yes bears in that area are a real problem.

Ceaster22
06-29-2015, 16:34
Good deal thanks. I don't have a bear cannister and was wondering if I needed one yet. I know I definitely will in some areas but wasn't sure if it would've been a necessity now.

life scout
07-04-2015, 22:31
We were there a week ago and got reports of bear sightings from other hikers. We did no see any, but we did see scat on the trail. We used a bear line with no problems. I have never felt comfortable sleeping with my food. I even try to avoid common eating places when I set up camp.

glenlawson
07-04-2015, 23:27
I have found the mice to be worse than bears. They'll chew through your pack and a stuff sack to get to the trail mix you left in the top pocket. And leave droppings everywhere. I started hanging my food to keep it away from the mice and it seems to work for bears too. Doesn't have to be fancy either. I've hung my food in a plastic grocery bag.

The good news is that most of the bears have gone down to Vogel to eat what the campers leave out. Why would the bear want your trail mix when a camper will leave a full cooler on the picnic bench?