PDA

View Full Version : Is 3 lbs. too heavy for a sleeping bag?

HarleyHogPit
11-19-2005, 18:04
I found a Quest sleeping bag today at Dick's Sporting Goods that was 1/2 off making it only $60. It weighed 3 lbs. and is synthetic so I doesn't compress as small as down. Is that too heavy? I originally wanted to go with a down sleeping bag but I think that is a little out of my price range. I also didn't know if that was a good brand name. What do you think?

SGT Rock
11-19-2005, 18:09
http://shop.army-navy.com/index.php?action=item&id=128

Is this the bag?

kyhipo
11-19-2005, 18:32
I was at dicks myself today and for 29.99 they had 20degree bags but heck,3pnds aint nothing over all for wieght,and u might consider a compression bag,I bought a ww2 mummy wool bag actually a liner,for my next venture good luck ky:dance

HarleyHogPit
11-19-2005, 18:32
Nope, that's not the one. This one is a mummy bag. There was one that was a zip around like that though.

HarleyHogPit
11-19-2005, 18:34
http://shop.army-navy.com/index.php?action=item&id=128

Is this the bag?

That is not the bag but is that bag ok?

HarleyHogPit
11-19-2005, 18:38
I was at dicks myself today and for 29.99 they had 20degree bags but heck,3pnds aint nothing over all for wieght,and u might consider a compression bag,I bought a ww2 mummy wool bag actually a liner,for my next venture good luck ky:dance
I didn't look at anything cheaper but as long as 3 lbs. is not bad for a bag I'll go look at them again. I'll look at the compression bags too.

SGT Rock
11-19-2005, 18:57
3 pounds may be fine. What I would look for is:

1. About a 20F rating.

2. Good compressability. Should fit inside your pack without taking up too much room.

3. And a price you can live with.

Kerosene
11-19-2005, 19:26
I concur with SGT Rock. My guess is that you'll want to purchase a compression sack to free up room inside your pack. Unfortunately these also tend to weigh more than a simple stuff sack. Here is one from Granite Gear (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=GG1010).

wacocelt
11-19-2005, 19:46
Nothing is too heavy as long as you have the strength, pack size and motivation to carry it. I carried a 5.5lb Slumberjack bag for a long time and loved it.

vipahman
11-19-2005, 20:01
Try this $110 Campmor 20 degree down bag. At 2 lbs 4 oz, it's popular with a lot of folks here. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=86896

Peaks
11-20-2005, 09:21
One popular sleeping bag for general backpacking is the North Face Cat's Meow. It weighs in at a little over 3 pounds. It's a 20 degree bag, and synthetic.

So, 3 pounds is not unreasonable for a 20 degree synthetic bag. The question is can you justify buying a lighter weight bag?

shades of blue
11-20-2005, 09:40
My fiance has a quest bag (bought it for her daughter). It is rated at 20 degrees and she froze her @#$% off on a recent trip to Greyson Highlands. It got down to 24 degrees and she had about 4 layers of clothes on in the bag.

You will probably see people on here with several different bags that they bought getting used to equipment. I recommend finding the highest quality bag you can afford, even if it means skimping on some of your other gear. You will make up for the cost for not buying several different bags. This bag will protect you from hypothermia and other things. If it weighs 3 lbs...that's ok. I would rather carry 3 pounds of quality bag and stay warm, than 2.5 lbs of less quality and freeze. YMMV.

SGT Rock
11-20-2005, 09:57
A few sites to monitor for deals on stuff:

REI outlet: www.rei.com/outlet
A bag they have on sale that may meet your needsL http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47948226.htm although I have no experience with this brand or model

Sierra Trading Post: www.sierratradingpost.com

And Campmor hot deals: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=226&categoryId=248&catalogId=40000000226

rpettit
11-20-2005, 10:34
Buy the highest quality, lowest weight, down mummy bag you can afford. I have purchased bargain bags in the past, and they failed to keep me warm. So, instead of buying a cheap bag, finding out that it doesn't perform as advertised, then investing in a better one. Just take all that money that you are going to end up spending anyway, and buy a good bag to begin with.

Teatime
11-20-2005, 11:43
In addition to Sgt. Rock's links, take a look at this one. I have ordered several items from them and have been very satisfied. Check out the North Face Fission, a Polarguard Delta bag that weighs about 2.5 lbs! I don't consider $151 bad at all for a bag of this quality.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/specials.cfm

SGT Rock
11-20-2005, 11:50
Buy the highest quality, lowest weight, down mummy bag you can afford. I have purchased bargain bags in the past, and they failed to keep me warm. So, instead of buying a cheap bag, finding out that it doesn't perform as advertised, then investing in a better one. Just take all that money that you are going to end up spending anyway, and buy a good bag to begin with.
Personally I agree with this strategy. I feel a sleeping bag is the last thing in your whole kit you should skimp on. A good sleeping bag can be your last line of defense against hypothermia which IMO is more of a real threat than getting attacked by a person, having bear issues, or snakes. Hypothermia can happen in the 50s. A good sleeping bag gives you the ability to hunker down and get your core body temp back up.

Getting a good, light, and reliable sleeping system is high priority. I would rather have all my other gear come from Goodwill, Wal-Mart, and/or be homemade and save cash for a sleeping bag.

Lilred
11-20-2005, 11:51
Try this $110 Campmor 20 degree down bag. At 2 lbs 4 oz, it's popular with a lot of folks here. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=86896

I second the recommendation for this bag. I have this bag and love it. It has kept me warm in shelters on nights where my washrag has frozen solid as a rock. It packs small and is a reasonable weight. If anything were to happen to this bag, I'd replace it with the same one.

Another bag to look at, strictly for the summer months, is the REI travel sack. It's down, good to 55 degrees and weighs only a pound.

jackiebolen
11-20-2005, 14:14
3 pounds isn't horrible, if it's a winter bag. But if it's for summer use, then I would say pass on it. If you pay good money for a quality down bag and take care of it, it will last you for 20 years so think long-term!

sliderule
11-20-2005, 15:15
Campmor currently has The North Face Blue Kazoo on sale. It is 3 lbs, but compresses well. An honest 20 degree bag in my experience.

MedicineMan
11-20-2005, 23:39
the granite gear bags are very well done and much lighter than typical compr. bags or stuff sacks.

smokymtnsteve
11-21-2005, 01:49
IMO for 20 degrees above,,. all one needs is a fleece bag, U can get them for 20 bucks,,,

then wear your fleece pants and jacket along with throwing your tarp over you, (getting up a few times at night to "flop" your tarp to prevent condensation) and if U still are cold a few nights U just get up and do a little night hiking.

also a fleece sack is easy to wash and get dry.

some here will disagree, but this works for me. make sure to try this out on a cool night before hitting the trail, to be sure U can tolerate,,,

Wolf - 23000
02-01-2006, 02:07
Quest sleeping bags are normal on the heavy side when trying to go long distance. They are also very bulky. It really does pay off to get a good sleeping bag even if it involved spending a couple extra bucks. If you buy a small sleeping bag, you can also buy a smaller backpack – saving your self from needing to carry a lot of weight and often save a couple of bucks.

Down bags really do pay off. They will last a lot longer then synthetic. I had a North Face down bag that lasted over 6,000 miles before I needed to send it back to North Face.

If you do go with down make sure you water treat the fill.

Hopes this helps,

Wolf

timhines
02-01-2006, 22:14
wacocult, those words you said made me feel so good.

I look at my heavy gear and feel guilty sometimes. But if i'm willing to haul it around like a jackass (literally), then it isn't too heavy!

Just Jeff
02-01-2006, 23:20
As long as you're having fun with it, the weight doesn't matter! (Just like other people's comments about your pack!) :)

Check out this article: Cargo Cults
http://www.mountaingazette.com/art.php?uid=423&date=2005-08-01&title=Cargo%20cults

angel2cdwings
02-01-2006, 23:22
Quest brand bags are Dick's Sporting Goods line. Of course they will all differ in durability depending on the manufacturer. I believe the one that Dick's has for $60 is a -25 degree bag and is a lot better quality than the Polaris for $30. I wouldn't take the Polaris car camping and expect it to keep me warm. Dick's also has a 15 degree bag weighing 3 lbs for $50 by Kelty, the only drawback is that it is a long and isn't available in a regular.

halibut15
02-01-2006, 23:48
Anyone else besides me not know, much less care, what the weight of their gear is? I just backpack. it's fun.

Green Bean
02-01-2006, 23:55
Watch out b/c it can say its three pounds but its really 5 or even more. i say this b/c i was at dicks before christmas looking at sleeping bags and they all ranged between 3 to 4 pounds or thats just what they said!, but i brought a fish scale with me and weighed them and they all weighed 2 to 3 pounds heavier then what the box said. On the box it usually says fill weight and then carry weight but on these boxes at dicks sporting goods it just said weight and it was nothing close to what i weighed it to be. so just for the heads up ~GB

Ridge
02-04-2006, 19:21
My last bag purchase was a North Face Cat's Meow synthetic bag. This time I got a "Long" bag so I would have extra room for boots, socks, clothing to keep from freezing. It weighs 3.5 lbs, but worth it. I've been fairly comfortable down to -3 deg. The extra length allows me to immerse and close off the bag from the elements.

Zzzzdyd
02-04-2006, 20:26
your in your fifties and have more miles than you really want to count on
your body. I am betting you will wish you had lighten your pack NOW !!
With the gear and deals available on it now IMHO it's insane to have a pack
weight of over 30 or 35 lbs these days.

Yeah I have fun too, much more 'fun' with 20 0r 25 lbs, than I did with 40 or
50 lbs.

Anyone else besides me not know, much less care, what the weight of their gear is? I just backpack. it's fun.

A Zero Degree F. bag at 3 lbs would be okay I guess. Go with Down :sun

Skyline
02-04-2006, 21:06
Campmor currently has The North Face Blue Kazoo on sale. It is 3 lbs, but compresses well. An honest 20 degree bag in my experience.

The Blue Kazoo is a GREAT bag. I've used it since about 1997 except in High Summer and it's still doing a great job. Plenty of room (I have the Long version), and if you're a tosser-turner like me you'll really appreciate how it's cut. Just fluff it up occasionally in a large commercial dryer (with the heat turned down low) to redistribute the down.

ralk
02-06-2006, 16:08
I am not sure its the same bag but i bought a cheap quest bag with a 20 deg. rating to use when hiking with my g/f while she carried my 2.5 # bag.

The box label had this thing at just above 3# but when weighed on my scale at home it was just shy of 5#, and i froze my a** off in it at 25 deg. wearing cold weather clothes.

The day after the trip i bought a more expensive but lite weight bag from a company whos temp. ratings i trust, and thats what my g/f uses when i convince her to come hike with me :)

the29thtn
02-06-2006, 22:48
Anyone have any opionon on the Slumberjack Odyssey?

troglobil
02-07-2006, 11:20
Back in the late 70's I bought a used Snow Lion down bag 30 degreeish. It spends its life in a stuff sac that lets it expand to twice its normal stuffed wieght size. It gets used 4-5 trips a year and still keeps me warm to its rated temp. Back then, weight was not a big issue, I bought it because I liked the color ( purple and bronze). Don't worry about the price, if you like the bag and treat it good you will have it a long time.

betic4lyf
02-07-2006, 20:02
lighter stuff is nice but it isn't the whole thing. people had fun backpacking with heavy packs, and they still do. of course a three pound pack isn't to heavy. if it makes you happy, then look at getting a lighter one.