PDA

View Full Version : Nights in September

leaf76
06-29-2015, 23:53
Starting a new thread because of the topic change.

We will be bringing 15 degree down bags for the trail (Big Agnes Roxy Ann) and will be on the trail from August 31st through September 17th or so.. I'm just wondering how cold the nights typically get that time of year? If we should think about fleece liners or not.

I climbed the East Buttress on Mt. Whitney a few years ago in early September and I don't remember being too cold during the nights.. but it was in 2011 and my memory fails me. I'm just checking in to see what others use as sleeping systems during this time of year.

Thanks again!!
Courtney

Coffee
06-30-2015, 00:08
I hiked SOBO from August 26 to September 14, 2013 and had a 15 degree bag (Marmot Helium). It was fine. The temps got noticeably colder as I moved south and got further into September but I don't believe the lows got much below the mid-high 20s. I wore smartwool base layers and my down parka on the colder nights. I had a Thermarest Prolite at the time which has a low R value and even so it worked out OK.

leaf76
06-30-2015, 07:49
Ah that's great news. Thanks. Yeah we are bringing a puffy and warm layers so that looks like that will be sufficient.

verysimple
06-30-2015, 08:05
0-20 degree bags with pad rated 3-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
06-30-2015, 08:40
A 15 degree bag should be more than sufficient, you won't have many nights much below freezing (if at all), especially if you choose your camps wisely and not too high, though some nights, like at Guitar Lake will be exposed and high and assuming you're going SOBO will be at the end of your trip. Still, we started right around mid-September going NOBO and I don't remember any nights in the 20's, even into very early October (though we were in Yosemite and lower altitudes by then).

leaf76
06-30-2015, 08:56
Sounds great. We are exiting Shepard Pass, going southbound correct, so looks like our bags plus a good sleeping pad and layers just in case will work. Perfect! Thanks for the replies.

Coffee
06-30-2015, 08:59
Sounds great. We are exiting Shepard Pass, going southbound correct, so looks like our bags plus a good sleeping pad and layers just in case will work. Perfect! Thanks for the replies.

Shepherd Pass was quite an adventure in late May with snow at the top! It should be snow free in August, although it feels like a long way to get down into the Owens Valley.

leaf76
06-30-2015, 09:11
Yeah, we couldn't get the advance permit to go from Yosemite to Whitney (no surpise there) and plus we don't have enough vacation time to cover the whole trail. Decided to go from Rush Creek to Shepard's Pass. I've been to both Yosemite and Whitney in a previous climbing trip.. both spectacular. Looking forward to seeing what's in the middle now!

Coffee
06-30-2015, 09:39
The trail is in good condition on the Sequoia National Park side (from the Shepherd Pass/JMT junction near Tyndall Creek all the way up to the pass) and it is easy walking. The trail was snow covered for quite some distance on the other side of the pass (Inyo NF side) so I'm not sure about the trail conditions up close to the pass. But it was in reasonable shape once I hit dry trail all the way to Anvil Camp. Shortly after Anvil camp is a huge washout that requires some rock scrambling. After that the trail is in pretty good shape. Be aware of a ~500 foot ascent before the final downhill toward the valley. I wasn't aware of it and it was a surprise although no big deal (well graded, etc).

leaf76
06-30-2015, 10:40
Ok, right on. Thanks for the report. Really looking forward to this trip.