PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish Gap to Tye River

Tuckahoe
06-30-2015, 08:18
I am looking for a little more insight on the trail between Rockfish Gap and the Tye River, than what is in the ATC guides.

Considering a late August trip southbound, and taking a kid on his second hiking trip. Who provides dependable shuttle service and where are safe/secure parking areas? And I am inclined to hear alternative sections between Buena Vista and Waynesboro about 30 to 40 miles long.

illabelle
06-30-2015, 09:29
You might get in touch with Deer Hunter. He lives in/near Buena Vista.

Deer Hunter
06-30-2015, 19:51
Hello ILB :) What kind of info are you looking for Tuck? Are you looking to go NB or SB? I might be able to help with a shuttle.

Studlintsean
06-30-2015, 22:28
Tuck-

If Deer Hunter can help you out I would take him up on it. He is a great guy. If not, give Three Springs Hostel at US60 a call. Uma (owner) is great also.

I did a weekend hike from Reeds Gap off of BRP to US60 last June with a buddy of mine who has not done a ton of backpacking. We hiked 11 miles to the Tye River on Friday, 11 to Seely-Woodwoorth Shelter on Saturday, and then 14 to US60 in Buena Vista (to our car) on Saturday. We used DH as a shuttle. The hike included some great views, hanging by the river on Saturday evening (great to cool off), hiked the Priest first thing Sat morning, then Spy Rock Saturday, and then some nice balds on Sunday. Looking at your pics from your last trip I think the younger guys would really enjoy this trip. Send me a PM if you want some pics from the trip and I can either link you via FB or you can get them off of Google Drive.

Enjoy your hike.

Tuckahoe
07-12-2015, 09:43
Hello ILB :) What kind of info are you looking for Tuck? Are you looking to go NB or SB? I might be able to help with a shuttle.

Well, we have finally settled on Tye River to Buena Vista, and SoBo. Yup We are going to go up the Priest first thing (it was 1986 the last time I hiked this area with my scout troop).

We would rather park at the end and get a shuttle to the start. And as far as parking would like to be able to park at a secure/public/commuter lot rather than trail head.

bigcranky
07-12-2015, 09:54
Well, the climb of the Priest will get your attention :)

That's a great section.

jimmyjam
07-12-2015, 10:08
Definitely take the little side trail just past the Priest and climb up on Spy Rock for some 360 degree views.

Deer Hunter
07-12-2015, 10:19
Well, we have finally settled on Tye River to Buena Vista, and SoBo. Yup We are going to go up the Priest first thing (it was 1986 the last time I hiked this area with my scout troop).

We would rather park at the end and get a shuttle to the start. And as far as parking would like to be able to park at a secure/public/commuter lot rather than trail head.

No problem, you may park at my house if your worried about your vehicle. Just let me know when you pin down a sepecific day and arrival time. Pm me when you get that figured out. I will give you my address and phone#. The climb up off of 56 will get the blood pumping as Big Cranky said. Def. stop at Spy Rock (just off the trail) ass JJ said. Feel free to ask any questions.