PDA

View Full Version : long-undies; which ones are your favorite?

murphyw
11-19-2005, 20:10
Capaline, Duofold, Thermax, MicroClimate, REI's "M.T.S." fabric, CoolMax, ThermaStat; there's a ton of choices. Any advice?

Which are your favorite; got a link that compares these?

I've heard rumors that Capaline is "stink-city" after a while... What's better?

Thanks.

--Bill

SGT Rock
11-19-2005, 20:32
Army issue brown polypro. Works as good as all of them for next to nothing.

http://www.armynavyshop.com/prods/rc6250.html

justusryans
11-19-2005, 20:45
I agree, excellent choice!!

justusryans
11-19-2005, 20:46
Also available in black!

smokymtnsteve
11-19-2005, 21:04
duofold..

U can buy seconds at BIG RAYS in downtown FBKS for only $7.88 a piece,

Doctari
11-19-2005, 21:25
G-ahead, laugh, I would :jump

(seems I start a lot of posts this way don't it)

Winter alls Panty hose. Light weight, and sufficiant protection, for me at least. Even tho large fit OK, I get Extra large, or XX if I can find them. The larger sizes go on easier, and are (at least seem to be) warmer.

For me anyway, the "real" long johns are way to warm.

Yes, I have battled hypothermia, but not because I didn't have the right stuff, it was because I didn't use it. :datz

Doctari.

Nightwalker
11-19-2005, 22:03
Army issue brown polypro. Works as good as all of them for next to nothing.
I've got the grey polypros. They're very warm. Only problem is they're 14.4 ounces for the set (top/bottom). That's the only reason that I want the UnderArmour. I've worked hard to get rid of weight, and at this point 6.4 ounces in one whack would be big!

fiddlehead
11-19-2005, 22:42
Well, i'm lucky and own a long underwear company. So, this year we are selling 16 different kinds. I get to try them all. I go for the lightest weight and thickest usually and right now, my favorite is EMS "Bergalene" which is a very lightweight, hvyweight, polyester fabric. It looks to be a lot like what other companies are calling "Powerdry".
The GI stuff is cheap and warm but really seems to retain body odor more than the newer hi-tech stuff. Capilene is way too expensive for the advantages in my mind.
I also like: "cool max", silk, "thermolite", and a very good non-smeller: "X-tatic".

Anyway, they all work. The key is to be carrying the right weight for the temps.

Of course in Thailand, we don't need them. But i still go to Nepal every once in a while.

MedicineMan
11-20-2005, 00:01
Smartwool works for me in their lightest weight merino.

Footslogger
11-22-2005, 11:59
Polypro is all created equal. I've owned at least one set of most brands and what I have found is that the only real difference is the thickness/weight which is determined in large part by the thread diameter and stitching density.

Some say that Patagonia is more comfortable against the skin. If that is a major factor for you then Patagonia might be the way to go.

However, from a warmth standpoint, the cheapest set of polypro long undies is more likely a better choice. The absolute hands-down best set of polypro I own cost me $9 ($18 for top and bottom) at Sam's Club. Durable, warm and comfortable.

'Slogger

Mags
11-22-2005, 13:00
However, from a warmth standpoint, the cheapest set of polypro long undies is more likely a better choice. The absolute hands-down best set of polypro I own cost me $9 ($18 for top and bottom) at Sam's Club. Durable, warm and comfortable.

'Slogger

I wear the generic blue polypro as well for hiking. I bought the bottoms at the Army-Navy store here in Boulder fort $10. Two years later, still have the pair. The smell does not bother me..as after a while in the backcountry ALL long underwear smells. :D

For winter camping, use the military issue polys that Sgt. Rock suggests. For in camp, you can't beat it! Already have the pair packed for Utah this weekend.

icemanat95
11-22-2005, 13:07
I'm a big fan of Coolmax. It wicks like nobody's business. Hind Drylete is very good in that regard as well.

Under Armor is supposed to be very, very good at wicking as well, which it should considering it was originally conceived to be worn under clammy body armor...thus the name.

Marta
11-22-2005, 13:19
My current favorites are the Duofold merino wool. They don't get stinky the way the polypro do; they don't feel clammy; they're cheaper than the Smartwool.

c.coyle
11-22-2005, 13:49
Mil surplus polypro. Spend what you save on something else. The stink goes away after a few dozen washings. Hanging them outside to dry also helps.

jackiebolen
11-22-2005, 13:50
Anything that's not cotton!

murphyw
11-22-2005, 14:11
To summarize (and overgeneralize), here's the advice I've gotten...

SGT Rock, justusryans, Nightwalker, fiddlehead, Footslogger, Mags, and c.coyle are fans of Army polypro. Footslogger observes: All polypro is the same except for thickness & price (I've read this elsewhere too). Consensus is that Army polypro is warm & cheap.

Marta and MedicineMan suggest Duofold / smartwool merino wool. (smokymtnsteve recommends Duofold, but doesn't say which type within the Duofold brand.)

icemanat95 suggests Coolmax / Underarmor

Doctari says Winter alls Panty hose.

Thanks much to all for responding -- I'm off to locate some Army surplus polypro locally, or maybe buy it over the web.

--Bill

Nightwalker
11-22-2005, 15:14
Thanks much to all for responding -- I'm off to locate some Army surplus polypro locally, or maybe buy it over the web.

--Bill
And don't forget the pantyhose hat!

:D

Mouse
11-22-2005, 16:07
I swore by Capaline for my thruhike. Lightweight for normal cold and midweight as the dry layer I reserved for camp. After it warmed up I mailed the midweights home until the Whites.

I still use both on those cold watches while tall-ship sailing!

SGT Rock
11-22-2005, 17:00
Something that helps keep the smell down is to wash in cold water with vinegar, and dry on tumble - no heat.

betic4lyf
11-22-2005, 17:43
i love these running tights, that i got for a buck from agoing out of business sale at a local sports tore. they are sorta heavy, but they work, and are damn warm. Asics branded

RenaissanceMan98
11-23-2005, 00:16
I Highly recommend going with natural fibers, i.e. silk (try the midweight or heavyweights from www.wintersilks.com) or 17.5 micron merino from ibexwear (www.ibex.com) or the smartwools.

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-23-2005, 11:27
I love my smartwool running socks, and am in the process of saving up to get merino base-layer...

However, a number of people have commented on Sahalie, Ultralight tights (http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=212&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=tights)

I haven't used them myself, but figured I'd muddy the waters.

BTW, IMO 'Under Armour' is overpriced and overhyped. If you want something just as good / comfortable at a much better price, head over to target and check out the C9 gear from Champion Sports (http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/sr=1-1/qid=1132759055/ref=sr_1_1/601-1342101-1408120?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=12913861) I'll swear by the 'Dry' T-Shirt I got... one of the (if not THE) most comfortable t-shirts I own (Note, this is NOT the duo-dry listed on the website, duo-dry is cotton, dry is all polypro with micro-holes). Just be careful and read the name tag, some of their stuff is cotton, but the poly stuff is hella good.

Also the 'Dry' boxer-briefs and trunks are hellat nice, though the Merona (http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/601-1342101-1408120?index=target&node=13161131&rank=price&x=12&y=9) trunks (not listed on site) are my most comfortable pair of underwear. I got one of their t-shirt (I think the modal listed are the same). Too heavy for summer wear, but if that long-sleeve is the same material it wicks well and would make a hella warm base layer...

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-23-2005, 11:31
btw, as an addendum to the above, I have some UA socks... yeah, they suck, seams are crazy bulky, but C9 (is anyone getting the picture that I'm a fan?) makes some damn-good and crazy comfortable (for synthetic) socks... at least I'm pretty sure it's C9, I know I got them at target, they are synthetic, the have a gold flat seam around the toe (though they are NOT 'gold-toe' brand)

Anyhow, 1/2 (or less) the price (per pair) of the UA socks, a billion times more comfortable.

Red
12-26-2005, 12:17
Duofold... got a top and bottom on sale at Campmor (god i love living in Jersey :p) for $18, IIRC. bought 2 sets.

Vi+
01-01-2006, 23:35
I don't wear long UNDERwear.

My top is a short sleeve silkweight capilene shirt - winter and summer. Sometimes, in summer, it retains moisture forming a thin wall of “slime” between my back and my pack so I’ll switch to a lightweight fabric.

My bottom is activist fleece. There is no other layer above it. I’ve tried all sorts of substitutes but for toughness, warmth and weight, I haven’t found anything to beat it. My only problems with it are: it’s bulky, stored in a pack, and; it resists walking just a bit. I get used to the resistance but it’s irritating knowing I’m fighting it at all.

I intentionally hike "cool" to keep from perspiring.

I often wear shorts even when snow is falling, as long as I know the activist fleece bottom is available. The activist fleece bottom has kept me comfortable to almost 30 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. I sometimes carry rainpants, but I've never needed them over the activist fleece.

Lost Soul
01-01-2006, 23:55
My vote was for the Duofold that I bought from campmor cheap... I wore them with a pair of shorts on cold days for a 97 thru hike.

smokymtnsteve
01-01-2006, 23:57
Duofold... got a top and bottom on sale at Campmor (god i love living in Jersey :p) for $18, IIRC. bought 2 sets.

wow it's expensive in joisey,,,I

I buy'em from BIG RAYS in FBKS AK..for $7.88 a piece.
(g-ddess I luv living in AK) :D

right now sierra trading post has merino wool duofold tops for $3.95
with free shipping if U know how many bones in a pizza maker's pip.

Blissful
01-02-2006, 00:04
You can get men's Duofold midweight undies at Rugged Wearhouse for $5.99 each piece. Got some for my family. They're nice.

Red
01-02-2006, 11:50
wow it's expensive in joisey,,,I

I buy'em from BIG RAYS in FBKS AK..for $7.88 a piece.
(g-ddess I luv living in AK) :D

right now sierra trading post has merino wool duofold tops for $3.95
with free shipping if U know how many bones in a pizza maker's pip.
everything is expensive in Joisey. :p

NICKTHEGREEK
01-03-2006, 20:05
I like Patagonia for quality and comfort. They have 4 levels of capeline silkweight, lightweight, midweight, and expedition. A little shot of febreeze keeps the eau de armpit under control. A pair of Lw longjohns, a midweight zip t and an r.5 flash pullover works great for me. look around for sales to help with the cost, but even at retail the performance and durability make it a good value.

highway
10-15-2006, 08:05
Don't use it...I stopped carrying Them-Both!

I carried it for years without seeing the need for using them while hiking three-season (spring/summer/fall) in Rockys and AT. Then, since I hike in shorts I just started to carry the bottoms, 'just in case'/emergency. But I still never used them. So I stopped carrying those, too, a couple of years ago. So, in my gear closet I have a great pair of older Patagonia midweight, Capilene tops/bottoms, beautiful dark green color with a few thousands miles on them, but never worn. I kept them sealed up in a freezer baggy. But I would use them, I suppose/the 4th season- winter- but I just dont feel like winter trekking much, since I don't know how.

I have used the same 4, very light layers on my trunk which I keep dry and have never needed the tops or bottoms, even in higher mountain elevations in light snow. The tops and bottoms made me sweat so much, especially when wearing rain/wind coat/shirt too, I had to stop wearing them or i would freeze. I just never needed to use them.

Buckles
10-15-2006, 10:44
I prefer Under Armour ColdGear. This stuff keeps me warm and wicks away moisture.

DGrav
10-15-2006, 14:40
Ibex long johns. No odor and great warmth to weight ratio.