PDA

View Full Version : Campgrounds close to at in vermont or newhampshire

paule
06-30-2015, 11:24
I hope this is the right area for this post,I am sorry if it is not.I plan on some hiking on the AT in july and want to set up a base camp at a campground and hike off for about a week or two.I an looking for the closest campgrounds to trailheads .I have found the lost river campground down on rte 112 in new hampshire,and also the white birches on rte 2 outside of gorham.My question is, does anyone have info on these campgrounds and could people direct me to others that are close to the trail,any campgrounds in new hampshire,vermont ,or mass would be great,,thank you

rickb
06-30-2015, 12:38

The AT passes right through a bunch of Car Campgrounds in Mass and VT, but as a base of operations any of them in the White Mountain National Forest will afford a gazillion hiking options-- especially if you don't limit yourself to the AT exclusively.

GoldenBear
06-30-2015, 13:08
Camping area for a week?
Close to trail heads?
You're not going to find any better than Lafayette Place Campground in Franconia Notch State Park

http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/Lafayette-Place_Camping-Info.pdf
http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/FranconiaHikingMapAllWeb_2010.pdf

Note that this place is jammed with tourists all summer. On weekends, reservations are an absolute must.

jdx1177
06-30-2015, 14:11
The campground right near but on the opposite side of the road from the Lincoln woods trailhead on the Kanc is pretty good and right on the river

peakbagger
06-30-2015, 15:10
There are plenty of White mountain national forest campgrounds and a few state campgrounds in the whites but most are primitive (no showers) which may be an issue for some folks. The AMC at Pinkham Notch has coin showers so some folks just stop by to use the showers.

White Birches campground is a few miles up the road from the AT junction on RT 2. They have a basic AT hikers hostel that doesn't get heavy use as its bit far out of town with a very popular hostel almost immediately at the RT2 crossing. Its the busy time of the year so finding a spot at a campground isn't guaranteed especially on weekends. There are also primitive campsites on a few back roads in the WMNF, they are free but have no facilities (watch your step when going in the woods). They are on Cherry Mountain Road, North Twin Road and Gale River Road. Dolley Copp Campground on RT 16 is the largest WMNF campground, the sites have differing levels of privacy. Lafayette Place in Franconia Notch is a state park with no showers. it is centrally located. There are several WMNF primitive campgrounds along the Kancamagus highway, They are somewhat remote from the AT. There are three WMNF campgrounds on the Zealand Road.

Trying to section hike with one car is difficult in the whites unless you plan on hitching back to your car. To cover the whites many would stay at Dolley Copp to cover the Carter Wildcat and great gulf area, a campsite on Zealand road to cover Crawford Notch to Garfield and Lafayette place for Garfield to Kinsman Notch.

Many but not all of the smaller WMNF campgrounds are first come first served check out this link http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/whitemountain/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=74405&actid=29 Dolley Copp takes reservations

Be aware that section hiking with one car is a challenge.

paule
06-30-2015, 17:15
You guys are great,,,thank you very much

Grinder
07-01-2015, 06:37
Nobody mentioned Greenwood Lodge, near Bennington. 2.6 miles east of Trail crossing of VT 9
I ended my section hike there and the Shea's were welcoming hosts. Lots of campsites and some inside rooms available.

paule
07-01-2015, 09:24
Thank you so much,I do appreciate it.

Jeff
07-01-2015, 11:12
Gifford Woods State Park in Vermont located between Inn at Long Trail and Mountain Meadows Lodge.

AT passes thru Gifford Woods at mile 1704 NOBO.