PDA

View Full Version : 20 degree or 40 degree quilt

William36
06-30-2015, 14:06
I currently have a 20 degree Burrow, snap footbox....40 degree UGQ flight jacket, sewn footbox

Feeling a bit "over invested $ and space " in gear closet...I think I have to off one of them.....

I think for versatility, for use primarily in the NorthEast between April-October, I should keep the 20 degree that folds flat...

Can make a warm quilt cooler, but not a cool one warmer, Right? (Also have poncho liner top quilt for HOT days/nights)

Thoughts?????????

mak1277
06-30-2015, 16:51
If you're only keeping one, I'd definitely keep the 20*. I'd definitely want to be prepared to go down to freezing for early/late hikes and would hate to have to cancel a trip if a cold snap hit just because I didn't have the right bag.

Deacon
07-01-2015, 05:50
I always take my 20* quilt, regardless of the temperature. Usually at some point during the night, it becomes very appreciated.

Namtrag
07-01-2015, 09:16
I always take my 20* quilt, regardless of the temperature. Usually at some point during the night, it becomes very appreciated.

This ^^^^^

I have taken my 20 degree quilt on trips where I would have thought I would sweat to death at night, but it hasn't happened yet. I just wear less clothes and stick my legs out if I get hot.

Rain Man
07-02-2015, 08:40

DITTO.

Rain Man

Walkintom
07-02-2015, 10:26
Yup. Love my quilt. Flop it up for ventilation as needed.

Coffee
07-02-2015, 10:35
I've kind of come to the same conclusion. I started a thread a while back on summer quilts. I ordered a EE Revelation 40 degree for $235 (weight 15 ounces). But then I cancelled it because what I *really* want is a zPacks 20 and I decided to use my budget for the summer bag to pay for most of the zPacks. I figure that I can ventilate the zPacks bag pretty well in the summer and it will replace my Helium for all but the coldest winter trips. In an ideal world one would have several bags/quilts for all conceivable conditions but in reality a versatile bag that isn't necessarily optimal is a good compromise.

William36
07-02-2015, 10:50
Well to confuse matters even more, I just ordered a Big Agnes Kings Canyon synthetic Quilt from Camp saver.($169....sale at $127, coupon DAD20 brings it to $100!!!!)

Prima loft insulation, 16 ounces, 45 degrees rating, packs to about the size of a cantaloupe.

My thoughts being I would like the issues of not having to be as cautious, and laundering is easier on synthetic.

I say this because in the summer I tend to camp with a minimal ground cloth and tarp, or cowboy, and things tend to get dirty, sweaty ....etc...

Thoughts????

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk