PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for a good cause!

elothet
06-30-2015, 17:05
Hey guys!
I have been on Whiteblaze for a few weeks and already love the community! I will be solo hiking about 500 miles starting in late July and ending in early October to raise money for Alzheimer's research .:banana I am looking for people that would be willing to sponsor me by the mile. So the more I walk the more money I raise and it is for a great cause. Here is where you can go to become a sponsor: http://hikefor.com/Emilies_AT_adventure/AT/2015. Every dollars helps! If you guys know of anybody who would be interested in participating by becoming a sponsor, please feel free to forward this link around.
Thanks so much!

Lone Wolf
06-30-2015, 17:42
is EVERY dollar you raise going to ALZ?

FlyFishNut
06-30-2015, 18:30
I have a herniated disc in my neck and am really pissed about it. I'm raising beer money to mentally get me through this. Every dollar you send me will be spent on booze - I'll post receipts. Or if you would like to send me IPA's or good bourbon (no broken seals please) I will gladly except your donations.

I'm 2 weeks into this and being a really big wuss about it, b/c it is screwing up my sleep, my trail running and other outdoors pursuits. Wish me luck on my cortisone shot tomorrow. It's gonna hurt like a MoFo.

mtntopper
06-30-2015, 19:25
I have a herniated disc in my neck and am really pissed about it. I'm raising beer money to mentally get me through this. Every dollar you send me will be spent on booze - I'll post receipts. Or if you would like to send me IPA's or good bourbon (no broken seals please) I will gladly except your donations.

I'm 2 weeks into this and being a really big wuss about it, b/c it is screwing up my sleep, my trail running and other outdoors pursuits. Wish me luck on my cortisone shot tomorrow. It's gonna hurt like a MoFo.

Well you were right about one thing............big wuss

upstream
06-30-2015, 20:55
According to the website, 100% of your pledge goes directly from you to ALZ. Never touched by her or the website. Which is better than ALZ's normal fundraising expenses, which are 19% of budget.

Our Government ought to be funding Alzheimer's research more. (http://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-2015/alzheimers-research.html)

FlyFishNut
06-30-2015, 21:45
Well you were right about one thing............big wuss

Haha - said the guy that only post criticisms....

elothet
07-01-2015, 15:21
is EVERY dollar you raise going to ALZ?

Yes every dollar goes toward ALZ! Like upstream said, neither I nor the Hikefor.com receive any of the money.

mak1277
07-01-2015, 15:25
Wouldn't the cause of Alzheimer's research be better served if you spent all the time it would take you to hike 500 miles and instead spent it advocating for ALZ research and asking people for donations?

Starchild
07-01-2015, 15:52
Wouldn't the cause of Alzheimer's research be better served if you spent all the time it would take you to hike 500 miles and instead spent it advocating for ALZ research and asking people for donations?
He is advocating for ALZ research and raising awareness along with funding. Seems like being there, talking to people which the AT hike allows a lot if it a good way to do it for those who ahve the heart for the trail and the cause.

Namtrag
07-01-2015, 16:03
Someone needs to hike and raise money to research and cure hyper-cynicism.

MuddyWaters
07-01-2015, 22:16
I think a lot of people are tired of people " hiking for....."
Truth is, the hiking is completely unrelated most of time.

People go hike because they enjoy it.

I agree though, you can raise more money for a cause by working for it, than going on VACATION and asking people to donate to some unrelated cause.

I have no issues with doing it though, if someone isnt attempting to fund their vacation via it, which many do, and is why people are cynical and suspicious, and ask questions.

Venchka
07-01-2015, 22:45
10 + years taking care of both of my parents suffering from Alzheimer's. I want those 10 years back.
I'm a melanoma survived. I'm tired of reading about people hiking to raise awareness about melanoma. I want lots of time on the trail or my bike with a camera. My awareness of the world around me will be raised to a very high level.
Just do it.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

James GAME2009
07-02-2015, 01:59
Why would we donate on your page? Why wouldn't we just donate directly to a charity, where we can be absolutely sure of where our money is ging? There are literally hundreds of "hike for" or "summit for" campaigns out there. Most of them (not saying yours is) are simply a way for people to fund their vacations and then donate the extra money to charity. Regardless, the idea of "hiking for" something other than one's own enjoyment is ridiculous. If your goal is to raise money for medical research, you would be much better served getting a job for the time you have allocated for the hike and donating that money to charity. Instead you will be predominantly preying off family and friends. Have a nice vacation but please see it for what it is.

Tuckahoe
07-02-2015, 06:47
Did yall atleast go read the hikefor.com website? I mean if you're going to bust the kid's chops, the least you could have done is give the common courtesy of doing so.

The OP and hikefor.com do not handle the money. The donor making the pledge is left with the responsibility of sending the donation directly to the designated charity.

The OP is not asking for anyone to fund her vacation

Starchild
07-02-2015, 07:36
People don't fit into other people's neat little boxes.

Some people hike to get away from things of life and other people's lives, other people's hike involves aspects of off trail life combining it with their hike. If you don't want to hike for a cause, that is great don't do it then. If you feel it would be better for the cause for you to work instead of hike, that is great too if you wanted to help a cause and want to work instead and donate the money or volunteering directly, great. You want your hike to be a get away vacation, great for you enjoy your own hike.

And let the OP also H(his or her)OH as they see fit and for the reason they desire.

FlyFishNut
07-02-2015, 08:03
I think some of the cynicism stems from this person joining this site to simply solicit. It wasn't like someone who has been here for years contributing to the forum and then made that type of request.

My two cents....

10-K
07-02-2015, 08:25
I think some of the cynicism stems from this person joining this site to simply solicit. It wasn't like someone who has been here for years contributing to the forum and then made that type of request.

My two cents....

That's it.

It's like asking strangers for money... The MO is normally to hit up family and then friends and *maybe* select co-workers depending on the workplace vibe.

ChefATLTCT
07-02-2015, 08:28
I have spent the last ten years taking care of my mom who has ALZ, As i have stated in other posts I am not for the "hiking for...yada yada. Personally I give directly to a cause, financially or volunteer. When I am out on the trail now, I do it to forget, even for a few days, the living hell my mom is experiencing and by extension me and my dad. The last thing I want to talk about on the trail is ALZ. for that matter when has anybody run into a "hiking for...person" and actually sat down after a 20 mile day to discuss whatever horrible death they are talking about.

I do not even mention my mom unless folks ask "what do you do for a job".

"hey you just had a great day hiking, now let me tell you about this horrifying experience my mom is going thru. just to make you aware of it."

FlyFishNut
07-03-2015, 07:58
I have spent the last ten years taking care of my mom who has ALZ, it."

That is tough work - I hate you are going through it, but we have to take care of family. I took care of my dad (he was 56 and I was 22) and then took turns taking care of my mom with my siblings in my 30's. That will put you through the wringer. My sister used to say, "Mom is dying, but she's trying to take us with her!".

I hope you have a support network to get some relief and some "me" or trail time for your sake!