PDA

View Full Version : Washington SAR team would like to meet with PCT thru-hike expert / recent finisher

Greenland
06-30-2015, 18:09
With the recent surge of PCT thru hikers (and possible increase in the ratio of inexperienced hikers) starting the trail, some in the Washington State SAR community are concerned about an up tick in PCT through hikers that require rescue.

Based on my SAR experience, by the time through hikers hit WA they are usually very trail hardened and rarely get into trouble. However, when they do, they can create big search problems as they can cover huge distances per day. Also, they can also be (too) determined to finish and may get pinched by Washington terrain and fall weather with strong trail skills, but untested wilderness skills. They may also be trying to beat the snow and still hiking with summer gear when snow hits.

If there is anyone who has recently completed a PCT through hike and who currently lives in the greater Seattle Area, please drop me a note. I am looking to acquire a speaker who can help SAR teams better understand the strengths, weaknesses and peculiarities of thru hikers. We could also use some help with understanding the current state of the PCT as it passes through Washington State (there seems to be closures and re-routes every year).

Thanks in advances

BrianLe
07-03-2015, 05:37
I'm not a recent finisher --- I hiked the PCT in 2008 as my first long distance trip (but I do live in Bellevue).

What I'd suggest you do is connect with the Dinsmores --- trail angels who live near Steven's Pass. They host a whole lot of thru-hikers every year and so really have a handle on the variety of folks that come through, and what kinds of issues they encounter. In particular, some years in our state the snow will fall early and/or you'll have a fair number of folks coming through late in the season, and there's always a temptation to say "I've made it this far, nothing is going to stop me now". The Dinsmores are very well aware of this.

Fires are another issue, and by the time a thru-hiker is in WA, there's a decent chance even in a normal year that they've had to hike around a fire, or some other related experience(s). This could make some a bit jaded and ready to decide that they can "make it through somehow". Related is that in my experience, different localities treat fire very differently. In 2008, for example, there was a stretch near Big Bear City that had been closed for a year or two following a fire; they were just very slow to re-open it, even though it was reported to be restored trail in great condition (I followed the rules and road walked around ...). Then getting into the Sierras, a fire had stopped burning, we were allowed through, saw fire crews still working and literally hot smoking areas not far off the trail. When I climbed Whitney a few days later we could look back and see that the fire had started up again there.
When the rules seem chaotic, folks can sometimes feel that they just have to use their own judgment.

Weather/temperature is another factor. The PCT grapevine makes some overly cautious about WA state, but OTOH, the PCT overall is a pretty dry trail. Folks have had to deal with snow in the Sierras to some degree, and sometimes to a high degree. But after that it's possible to lighten up with sleeping bag and clothing. Some will be very comfortable and confident by the time they hit the WA border with what most folks would consider to be on the light side for the "insulation" part of the ten essentials. They're strong and experienced (at least with what they've had experience with), but have little insulating body fat, and for some, little experience with rain and associated hypothermia potential.

Okay, enough rambling on here. For the best idea of PCT thru-hikers in WA state, talk to the Dinsmores:
http://www.dinsmoreshikerhaven.com/PCTPlaces.html

Patrickjd9
07-03-2015, 07:06
If you aren't working with them now, you should also check in with the regional representatives of the Pacific Crest Trail Association.

http://www.pcta.org/about-us/regional-offices/

Shutterbug
07-03-2015, 18:39
With the recent surge of PCT thru hikers (and possible increase in the ratio of inexperienced hikers) starting the trail, some in the Washington State SAR community are concerned about an up tick in PCT through hikers that require rescue.

Based on my SAR experience, by the time through hikers hit WA they are usually very trail hardened and rarely get into trouble. However, when they do, they can create big search problems as they can cover huge distances per day. Also, they can also be (too) determined to finish and may get pinched by Washington terrain and fall weather with strong trail skills, but untested wilderness skills. They may also be trying to beat the snow and still hiking with summer gear when snow hits.

If there is anyone who has recently completed a PCT through hike and who currently lives in the greater Seattle Area, please drop me a note. I am looking to acquire a speaker who can help SAR teams better understand the strengths, weaknesses and peculiarities of thru hikers. We could also use some help with understanding the current state of the PCT as it passes through Washington State (there seems to be closures and re-routes every year).

Thanks in advances

Just an observation -- I am local and meet thru hikers when I hike on the PCT. In my opinion, it is less likely that SAR will be called out to assist a thru hiker than some of the other's who hike along the PCT. This is particularly true during the fall when the hunters head into the high country. Some of the hunters I have met are a disaster waiting to happen. When hunting season starts in the Goat Rocks Wilderness, I retreat to the National Park where hunters aren't allowed.

Each of the thru hikers I have met on the PCT is in excellent shape except that some appear a bit skinny. They all seem perfectly capable of managing the challenges of the PCT. The locals, including myself, seem much more likely to need help.

Thanks for being part of the SAR team. It is comforting to know that you folks are there.