PDA

View Full Version : Fishing for an answer.

Cedar1974
06-30-2015, 18:48
I know that different states require fishing licenses, but would bringing a fishing setup to help supplement your food supplies be a good idea. I've seen penfishingrods.com, and they have a nice ultralite fishing system for about $26 bucks. So is this a viable option, or is there not too many places to fish on the AT?

BirdBrain
06-30-2015, 19:00
If you enjoy it and are willing to devote the time, maybe. I love fishing. I took a setup into the 100 mile wilderness. I left it behind in Monson. Hiking and camping and eating and washing and filtering and gazing and sleeping got in the way. Fishing was no longer fun. The trail was great. It left no time for such diversions. Just my experience. Yours may differ.

Dogwood
06-30-2015, 20:00
Yes, on the AT, during a long hike you can supplement(add in) catching and eating fish based on already carrying your main food supplies out of desire but I wouldn't supplement with fishing based on it absolutely being a necessity. Hunting, gathering, fishing, and trapping especially if one absolutely relies on it for nourishment can be time consuming! AS BB says you have to contently be willing to devote time to it. Not every hiker regularly is and the gear becomes dead wt usually in short order. Beware mindsets can change on a long hike especially as to how one wants to allocate time. In this fast paced multi-tasking 10 things at once if anything is worth doing it's worth doing fast culture many hikers have the mindset of gotta go gotta go gotta be somewhere else down the trail which does not play well into fishing. But, yes, with some experimentation open minded folks can find a suitable balance between hiking and fishing in the same adventure. IMHO, fishing along the entire length of the AT is spotty. You'll have long periods when the fishing opportunities are dismal at best sometimes being non existent. Complicating matters on a long AT hike, like a thru-hike, is that the AT goes through 14 states requiring........??????

rocketsocks
06-30-2015, 21:49
I know that different states require fishing licenses, but would bringing a fishing setup to help supplement your food supplies be a good idea. I've seen penfishingrods.com, and they have a nice ultralite fishing system for about $26 bucks. So is this a viable option, or is there not too many places to fish on the AT?
if ya wanna loose weight, then by all means bring it. Somewhere around here is a couple a threads on fishing the AT. Pretty sure the consensus was it weren't worth it for food anyway, your creel may vary.

rocketsocks
06-30-2015, 21:53
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=7923937&pp=&page=2

Traveler
07-01-2015, 05:51
The problem with fishing along the AT are license issues between the states. There are a variety of different rules and seasonal costs for licenses. You can also be fined for fishing without a license walking along a body of water like a river with fishing gear even though you are not fishing at the time. Penalties can be pretty stiff.

Damn Yankee
07-01-2015, 07:43
Also, a lot of places are fly fishing only or single hook, imitation bait and 9" fish rule If you want to fish, just to fish and have the time to do so, bring it. I plan on it

Venchka
07-01-2015, 07:56
Then there may also be catch and release areas.
More importantly, do you want to carry out the inedible bits? Leave no trace.

Wayne

Grampie
07-01-2015, 09:47
I am a avid fisherman. During my thru I brought along a few hooks and some mono line just in case I had a opportunity to catch some fish. Most of the time I was just too tired to fish. Not many spots to fish down south more up north. At least, like I did, bring the minimal gear.

KYLarry
07-01-2015, 13:01
If you are at all interested in fly-fishing you could look into a tenkara setup. No reel, and a collapsible rod... pretty minimalist. As mentioned before, licensing may be a bit prohibitive from a cost and convenience standpoint.

Bronk
07-01-2015, 17:06
Many people hike the entire trail every year foraging for berries, hunting rabbits and squirrels, and yes, fishing for their food.

Feral Bill
07-01-2015, 19:00
Many people hike the entire trail every year foraging for berries, hunting rabbits and squirrels, and yes, fishing for their food.
Tell us more, please.

Starchild
07-01-2015, 20:47
If you would like to fish you almost have to plan a zero. Great if you are into that.

You can get your fishing gear then, or mail drop it to you for that section.

Biggie Master
07-01-2015, 21:25
I love to fish too, but if I'm going to play 18 holes at the local golf course, I don't stop at the water holes and pull out a rod and reel. The trail is kind of the same for me, in that i'm there for a very specific purpose, and it's not to fish. Just my view, but if you can pull it off and enjoy your trip, then by all means, go for it!

rocketsocks
07-01-2015, 22:13
I love to fish too, but if I'm going to play 18 holes at the local golf course, I don't stop at the water holes and pull out a rod and reel. The trail is kind of the same for me, in that i'm there for a very specific purpose, and it's not to fish. Just my view, but if you can pull it off and enjoy your trip, then by all means, go for it!One of the biggest Largemouth Bass I ever caught was at a golf coarse pond, we use to sneak in all the time when I was a kid.