PDA

View Full Version : Weather in GA/NC now?

floid
06-30-2015, 22:14
I'm just laid off from work, so thinking about blowing the cobwebs out next week and hiking Unicoi to Fontana. What's the weather like now? Is it too hot to do this? Best I can tell is that it is high in the upper 70's and still getting down to the upper 60's at night. Does that sound right?

Also, is the water still good in this area?

Thanks!

skater
06-30-2015, 22:43
Temps have been great. Several heavy rains since Saturday, so plenty of water but bring rain gear.

ChuckP
06-30-2015, 23:17
In the northern suburbs of Atlanta, we have been hitting the low to mid 90's every day, other than last Sunday, for the last week and a half. I usually subtract 10 degrees to get a North GA trail temperature. I see you are from FL so that may still be comfortable for you - I am waiting until Sep. to get back on the trail.

daddytwosticks
07-01-2015, 07:13
It will be humid, but you are probably used to that living in Florida. Sorry about the lay off.

Moosling
07-01-2015, 08:15
Picked a good week Temps shouldn't be too high but as others have said you might encounter some serious Rain so just be prepared. Lows have gotten down into the high 50's at nights at least in my part of the state lately, I imagine maybe a little cooler where you'll be but I'd expect low 60's at night.

Chris10
07-01-2015, 08:22
Was on the trail in NC late last week and the temps were perfect! Had a continual threat of storms though! Enjoy your hike!

floid
07-01-2015, 10:25
Thanks for the reports! The hike is in.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

floid
07-01-2015, 10:25
Thanks for the reports! The hike is on.

HooKooDooKu
07-01-2015, 10:37
I've been watching the weather forecast to GSMNP this weekend. Seems like the forecast I'm looking at had 50% of rain for all hours of the day for the next week, with expected daily accumulations of 1/3" to 1". Water won't be an issue and temps look pretty good... but seem like you can expect to get wet.

Tundracamper
07-04-2015, 22:16
Did you go? We hiked 21 miles in that area earlier this week. Never been in so much rain in my entire life. Well over 3 inches for a two night hike. Really put a damper on things. Had about 6 hours when it didn't rain, with several deluges and thunder. Glad we spent one night near a shelter so we could pack up in the dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

life scout
07-04-2015, 22:57
We did georgia last week. High humidity a little warm. Cool first thing in the morning in my hammock. Not cool enough for a jacket or fleece at all. Bugs were not to bad yet. Bee's and yellow jackets were everywhere. We are from Florida as well. Mid 50°s were the coldest at altitude we had.

Abatis1948
07-05-2015, 09:16
Was hiking between Bly Gap and Unicoi Gap very recently. I do my best miles before noon, after that it was very humid but doable. Rain heavy for a short while in the evening. If you are on a time table I would plan to get a sunup start and put as many miles in early as possible. I stop a lot to check out plants and views off trail and I do a lot of that after noon. The nights were nice. A yellowjacket popped me on the ankle just south of Blue Ridge Gap. Not allergic, but put thoughts in my head to carry something in my 1st aid kit to prevent severe reactions.

daddytwosticks
07-05-2015, 09:47
I carry benadryl caplets for stings...just in case. I used to be able to get benadryl in kid's chewable form. From what I understand, the chewable form gets into your system faster than the caplets. However, I've not been able to find it in the chewable form anymore. :)

Tundracamper
07-05-2015, 17:29
I got zapped right in the back of the neck trying to run through a swarming yellow jacket nest just south of Unicoi Gap this past week. It started burning real bad until I wiped some of this on it. Like magic, the pain was gone in 10 seconds. I'll always carry this now. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/05/6429e2e5fbe083d77bd2aa3062179ccf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk