PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable pack size or impossible?

ierinys
07-01-2015, 11:20
Hey guys so I'm currently doing some window shopping on different packs for my upcoming thru-hike and one pack is really standing out to me, its the Katahdin Ultralite Pack UBG122 from Equinox. As a minimalist, I use only what I need so my question is this: is a 54/55 liter pack a reasonable and doable size for thru-hiking the AT or do I need to go bigger?

Starchild
07-01-2015, 11:45
How hard is the 55l limit? It really should be fine as I did mine with a 62l with extra room sometimes lots, but there are times when you will just need to carry just a bit more for whatever reason and you need to be able to do that even if for a short time. Can you place your normally stored inside the pack tent/tarp on the outside easily? Do you have a 'kangaroo pouch' which can be overstuffed beyond the 55L .

It does look from the pict that you will hit a hard limit with this pack, so just be prepared when that happens.

Dochartaigh
07-01-2015, 12:03
Get or make a box with similar dimensions to the pack (it will be square instead of rounded on one side but that's OK). Put all your gear in that box and load it up with the max amount of water and food you'll need during the course of your trip, and see if it'll fit. I would personally make sure there's maybe 10-15% volume left just in case (or be prepared to strap some stuff to the outside of the pack on occasion).

ChuckT
07-01-2015, 12:04
When I compared pack volume I found that most brands add the main bag volume and the outside pocket volume without enough regard to how the pockets are attached. In many cases the pockets, when used, actually diminish (!) the usable volume of the main bag. Then what is listed as a 55 liter pack only accommodates 45 to 50 liters of my "stuff". Most dissapointing.

CalebJ
07-01-2015, 12:20
It's completely up to how you pack. I'd never need to go bigger than the Exos 34 or ZPacks Zero for a traditional AT thru-hike. Many other people need a much bigger pack, and there are those who don't need much at all. Grayson Cobb is SOBO right now with a Salomon pack that's basically an adventure racing vest, total capacity of about 13 liters.

Slo-go'en
07-01-2015, 12:37
The problem with that pack is not so much the volume, but it's really flimsy and will be really uncomfortable with any kind of weight in it. Think of it as a silnyon stuff sack with some shoulder straps attached to it.

You could probably get away with it during the summer months when you can really skimp on gear, but in the shoulder seasons of spring and fall your going to need a real pack.

Wolf - 23000
07-01-2015, 13:01
I've been known to be some what of a minimalist. I'm using the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-SilŪ Day Pack to thru-hike The Colorado Trail (486 miles). It about a 5th the size of the Katahdin Ultralite Pack UBG122.

I've also done the AT several times. You don't need a pack that big.

Wolf

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil%26reg%3B+Day+Pack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=377-36

Namtrag
07-01-2015, 13:03
Be careful about accepting the liter size stated. For example, I bought an Osprey Volt 60 as my first good backpack. I never got comfortable wearing it, so I started looking again. A thru hiker I knew recommended the Osprey Talon 44, which I was skeptical of, thinking it would be too small. Guess what? It holds more than the 60 liter pack I have. Get most of your other gear, and then take it with you to the store and see how it fits in the various packs.

Feral Bill
07-01-2015, 14:24
Of course, if it does not fit you it won't matter how big or small it is. Try before you buy.

phourgenres
07-02-2015, 12:15
Im currently thur hiking. A 48 has actually been way too big for me. Im leaning towards a 32 now. I guess it all depends on how you pack though. Im a minimalist now, but starting out I had a 14lb base weight and still had enough room for everything.

PAHiker
07-02-2015, 15:04
I actually owned the smaller version of this pack, the Pamola, and found it to perform as if it was much larger than the advertised size. I think that the weight carrying capability of the pack was more of a limitation than the volume of it. I sold it and ended up buying a similar style of pack, the 50 liter Mountainsmith Haze 50, which has performed even better than the Pamola. The Haze 50 basically addressed any complaints I had with the Pamola and I have used it for up to a 5 day trip so far and that included carrying all 5 days food and 2 liters of water at one time.

Hoofit
07-02-2015, 17:04
I've been known to be some what of a minimalist. I'm using the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-SilŪ Day Pack to thru-hike The Colorado Trail (486 miles). It about a 5th the size of the Katahdin Ultralite Pack UBG122.

I've also done the AT several times. You don't need a pack that big.

Wolf

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil%26reg%3B+Day+Pack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=377-36

Minimalist??? You ain't kidding!! Looks like it might hold a decent sized food bag to me, hardly a thru hiking backpack. ( Take my advice with a pinch of salt.....different strokes for different folks I guess )
Could you really load that with sufficient gear to live comfortably if it rains for several days consecutively? I must be getting old, need my creature comforts!
Happy hiking!

ChuckT
07-02-2015, 17:27
Creature comforts rule!
Having said that I am seriously into going lite. In tge study stage time will tell if I succeed.

bigcranky
07-02-2015, 20:52
I tested that pack for Backpackgeartest a bunch of years ago. It's plenty large enough for a lightweight kit, but there is no suspension system to transfer weight to the hips. I found it comfortable up to 20-22 pounds total weight, which is right in line with the design of the pack. If your total pack weight with food, water, and everything is <20 pounds, it should work just fine.

Wolf - 23000
07-03-2015, 14:47
Minimalist??? You ain't kidding!! Looks like it might hold a decent sized food bag to me, hardly a thru hiking backpack. ( Take my advice with a pinch of salt.....different strokes for different folks I guess )
Could you really load that with sufficient gear to live comfortably if it rains for several days consecutively? I must be getting old, need my creature comforts!
Happy hiking!

Well I'm head out to do the Colorado Trail in just a few weeks with it! I've done smaller hikes with this pack and had no problems at all. It's a tough pack that holds all my gear with enough room for food. Don't forget, the more weight you carry requires you to carry more food. The less your pack weight, the less food you need to stay health.

I've travel a little lighter when I did the JMT, got hail/snow, rain on several days. I was fine. No "I fear for my life" stories, sorry. I was wet of course and made camp just like any other hiker.

ierinys also said he was a minimal. So it only seems fitting that he should carry a minimal type backpack. :) Of course if he is talking about using the Katahdin Ultralite Pack UBG122 as a backpack ??? He may possible be lightweight but a minimal ..... no.

Wolf

Coffee
07-03-2015, 14:56
I'm amazed that you can use that pack for thru hiking the CT. I actually carried it as a day pack with just minimal gear (snacks, jacket, first aid kit, headlamp, etc) for hiking Half Dome when I thru hiked the JMT in 2013.

Son Driven
07-03-2015, 15:04
Winter gear requires space and weight. the location of your start date, and end date is a factor. In example if you waited until mid May, and headed north out of Waynesboro, VA to Katahdin. Then went south from Waynesboro to Springer. You would miss the cold weather and the need for a larger pack.