PDA

View Full Version : Tent rainfly mildew discovery...

linus72
07-01-2015, 19:50
I just set up my solo tent which i hadn't used since a rainy night in october because a relative wanted to use it this weekend and the tent is just fine but the rainfly was mildew city. i blame myself because i didn't air it out like i usually do because i thought i'd be doing more solo and ended up doing mostly couple trips. the rainfly has mildew spots everywhere. any hope? i got it cheap from the outlet, and am going to buy something else for the weekend (read: excuse to let him use my starter two-man and buy the one i always wanted on a big sale) but i only used it once, i like it, and i'd love to be able to salvage this. do tent companies sell just the rainfly if necessary? :mad::eek:

Walkintom
07-01-2015, 20:14
Try cleaning it up. Scrub brush and water. Lots of sun drying. It may get it down to an acceptable level.

I've never had much luck getting completely rid of mildew though. I refuse to use truly harsh chemicals on tent fabric so maybe others can provide better guidance.

linus72
07-01-2015, 20:29
defnitely doing that now! i feel so stupid! i take such good care of our other tent!

Slo-go'en
07-01-2015, 20:59
A weak chlorine solution with liquid soap added has worked for me.

squeezebox
07-02-2015, 00:15
DO NOT put it in your clothes washer!

egilbe
07-03-2015, 09:17
as was mentioned, a bleach solution should kill the mildew.

FlyFishNut
07-05-2015, 21:44
Crap - We camped over the weekend in the rain (two tents) and it won't stop raining long enough at home for me to air them out. My wife won't let me pitch the tents inside to let them dry...

Five Tango
07-05-2015, 22:13
Crap - We camped over the weekend in the rain (two tents) and it won't stop raining long enough at home for me to air them out. My wife won't let me pitch the tents inside to let them dry...

What if you put the tent loosely gathered in a HOT car all day?I dried a wrist watch like that on more than one occasion.

FlyFishNut
07-05-2015, 22:21
What if you put the tent loosely gathered in a HOT car all day?I dried a wrist watch like that on more than one occasion.

Looks like no rain tues and wed. Think I will unpack them in garage and let them dry a bit and then pitch them tues for a couple hours. But good idea - if there was a stretch of 4-5 days I would definitly try that.

Five Tango
07-06-2015, 18:23
I believe I read somewhere that you can wash outdoor furniture free of mold with 20 Muleteam Borax and some white vinegar.Check youtube,I think that's where I saw it.

Traveler
07-07-2015, 07:01

Considering mold/mildew love hot and humid conditions, a hot car may prove to be a giant incubator and allow it to spread to other tent parts. My experience with other things I have left in cars for a day or so that ended up with mildew in the folds and rucks of the fabric suggests this won't end well, however you may have different luck.

bangorme
07-07-2015, 08:04
I'd start with Vinegar, then go to bleach, then to a Clorox wipe.

bangorme
07-07-2015, 08:06
Oops, forgot to caution. NEVER mix vinegar and any bleach containing product!

linus72
07-07-2015, 14:05
i emailed the manufacturer, easton outfitters, asking if i could buy one individually because of my amateur mistake and they appreciated my honesty and have a spare they are sending me just at the cost of shipping! awesome.

ChrisJackson
07-07-2015, 14:27
i emailed the manufacturer, easton outfitters, asking if i could buy one individually because of my amateur mistake and they appreciated my honesty and have a spare they are sending me just at the cost of shipping! awesome.

That is cool of them! Good to hear. Drying my stuff out is always a kerfuffle. I have nowhere to do it that is ideal...yet. Trying to avoid putting eye hooks in walls but it may come to that...