PDA

View Full Version : Can you do this? Help with water filter!

BenOnAdventures
07-01-2015, 23:13
Hello adventurers, I was wondering can you attach any of the Sawyer filters to a Nalogene bottle? If so, how? and if not, are there any other water bottle ideas out there? Thanks!!

BirdBrain
07-01-2015, 23:16
Skip the nalgene. Too heavy. Just screw it onto a smart water bottle and drink away... if that is your goal.

Sarcasm the elf
07-01-2015, 23:42
Skip the nalgene. Too heavy. Just screw it onto a smart water bottle and drink away... if that is your goal.

Exactly this. The only time I use my Nalgene bottles is in the winter.

Mr. Bumpy
07-02-2015, 08:08
I use a cap from the old sweet water filter (the black slip fit with the hole in it which unfortunately they do not list separate on their web page) for the outflow side. For the dirty water side I use a 3L nalgene bag with the msr universal bottle adapter.

If you can't find the adapter that comes with the sweet water then you can just get the universal bottle adapter and drill a relief hole in it. I like to use this set-up because it is easy and foolproof - I never really trusted my young son to pump water and keep the dirt and his fingers out. I rigged this up when he was younger and now it is my go to set up. It is still a little bit lighter than going with a pump.

And although I to take one along, I do generally agree that nalgene bottles are a heavy waste. You can get a great bottle at big lots for 99 cents and it even comes with a flavorful liquid.

BenOnAdventures
07-02-2015, 08:41
Thanks to all three of you! I truly appreciate the advice!!

HooKooDooKu
07-02-2015, 09:32
I personally like hiking with a small (16oz) nalgene... the wide mouth makes it easy to add powdered drinks to the water.

I use an Evernew bladder for dirty water and a Platypus Hoser (bite valve removed) for clean water. I simply push the hose over the Sawyer output nipple and add a loop of rope to the Evernew to hang it.

BenOnAdventures
07-02-2015, 09:36
I personally like hiking with a small (16oz) nalgene... the wide mouth makes it easy to add powdered drinks to the water.

I use an Evernew bladder for dirty water and a Platypus Hoser (bite valve removed) for clean water. I simply push the hose over the Sawyer output nipple and add a loop of rope to the Evernew to hang it. Oh I see, sounds good! Thank you for the advice its much appreciated!

Walkintom
07-02-2015, 10:18
I have a Sawyer (mill gal version) hooked up inline to a Platy Big Zip 3L bladder and it works great both as on the go hydration and as a gravity flow bag. I only put the water I feel that I need in the bladder, which is a problem for some folks - they seem to think that they have to fill to capacity and carry the extra weight.

Typically I find that the 3L is really handy for filling up prior to dry camping because I can get all my cooking water for dinner and breakfast, some for night consumption and be able to hike out the next morning with well over a liter left and fully hydrated. The heaviest part is the blamed clip on top which means that a 3L bladder only weighs .4 ounces more than the 2L version of the same.

I've had to replace the Platy a couple of times due to the seams starting to seep but Platy is good about warranty on seam leaks and it hasn't cost me a dime. Each time the leak was small enough that it took me a few days to decide that it might be a leak instead of a drop of condensation and I could have probably ignored it and still be using the first bladder if I didn't mind it and worry that it would worsen or fail completely eventually.

BenOnAdventures
07-02-2015, 11:22
I have a Sawyer (mill gal version) hooked up inline to a Platy Big Zip 3L bladder and it works great both as on the go hydration and as a gravity flow bag. I only put the water I feel that I need in the bladder, which is a problem for some folks - they seem to think that they have to fill to capacity and carry the extra weight.

Typically I find that the 3L is really handy for filling up prior to dry camping because I can get all my cooking water for dinner and breakfast, some for night consumption and be able to hike out the next morning with well over a liter left and fully hydrated. The heaviest part is the blamed clip on top which means that a 3L bladder only weighs .4 ounces more than the 2L version of the same.

I've had to replace the Platy a couple of times due to the seams starting to seep but Platy is good about warranty on seam leaks and it hasn't cost me a dime. Each time the leak was small enough that it took me a few days to decide that it might be a leak instead of a drop of condensation and I could have probably ignored it and still be using the first bladder if I didn't mind it and worry that it would worsen or fail completely eventually. Excellent insight! I Truly appreciate the firsthand account!! I'm just having trouble deciding what filter/bladder or bottle combo is the best

Odd Man Out
07-02-2015, 11:26
I did find that water bottles that had a drinking spout attached to a straw that goes to the bottom of the bottle (see pic) will work with a Sawyer filter. Just attach the straw nipple on the clean side of the filter and cut it short enough so the inlet of the filter is on the bottom. You can then fill your bottle with dirty water and drink. This might be nice for traveling, but as pointed out above, it's not very versatile so not as practical for backpacking.

Traveler
07-02-2015, 12:49
FWIW, I use thin plastic water bottles when its above freezing (Arrowhead or Poland Spring bottles are great), these connect directly to the Sawyer filter. They can also be compressed flat when not in use, take up very little space, and weight is really low. Nalgene bottles weigh around 6 ounces or so, more with straws and other hardware on them, a couple of these can up your weight by more than a half pound. When its well below freezing out, I will use the Nalgene bottles that will take boiling water or freezing that thin walled plastic doesn't like.

I also carry a 3L hydration bladder, which is perhaps the most versatile bit of gear I have relative to water. I keep about a liter in it for fast sips of water as I move so I don't have to muck around with the pack much. Its also really versatile to be able to put 3 liters into it for long reaches between good water or a dry camp. Having done a fair share of western trails and run out of water, I have a "thing" about that and will sometimes over carry if there's a doubt.

BenOnAdventures
07-02-2015, 21:12
FWIW, I use thin plastic water bottles when its above freezing (Arrowhead or Poland Spring bottles are great), these connect directly to the Sawyer filter. They can also be compressed flat when not in use, take up very little space, and weight is really low. Nalgene bottles weigh around 6 ounces or so, more with straws and other hardware on them, a couple of these can up your weight by more than a half pound. When its well below freezing out, I will use the Nalgene bottles that will take boiling water or freezing that thin walled plastic doesn't like.

I also carry a 3L hydration bladder, which is perhaps the most versatile bit of gear I have relative to water. I keep about a liter in it for fast sips of water as I move so I don't have to muck around with the pack much. Its also really versatile to be able to put 3 liters into it for long reaches between good water or a dry camp. Having done a fair share of western trails and run out of water, I have a "thing" about that and will sometimes over carry if there's a doubt.

Excellent answer! I greatly appreciate it!! I am kinda learning about these more and more each day

BenOnAdventures
07-02-2015, 21:13
I did find that water bottles that had a drinking spout attached to a straw that goes to the bottom of the bottle (see pic) will work with a Sawyer filter. Just attach the straw nipple on the clean side of the filter and cut it short enough so the inlet of the filter is on the bottom. You can then fill your bottle with dirty water and drink. This might be nice for traveling, but as pointed out above, it's not very versatile so not as practical for backpacking.

Thank you so much! It's awesome that you even posted a pic in your response! I really appreciate that!!

bigcranky
07-03-2015, 08:42
I like a bottle with a wider mouth, so we use one quart Gatorade bottles. They are light, about 1.5 ounces, cost a buck at the grocery store, and come pre-loaded with Gatorade :) .

For the Sawyer filter, we just use the Sawyer 2-liter bags. Fill them with water, and squeeze through the filter into the Gatorade bottle. Because I have some issues with my hands, I use the sit-upon technique for squeeze filtering that I learned last summer -- put the Sawyer bag on a bench, or flat rock, or tree, and sit on it. Body weight will cause the water to fly out the filter into the water bottle. Looks, er, somewhat odd, but it's effective.

Odd Man Out
07-03-2015, 10:04
I like a bottle with a wider mouth, so we use one quart Gatorade bottles. They are light, about 1.5 ounces, cost a buck at the grocery store, and come pre-loaded with Gatorade :) .

For the Sawyer filter, we just use the Sawyer 2-liter bags. Fill them with water, and squeeze through the filter into the Gatorade bottle. Because I have some issues with my hands, I use the sit-upon technique for squeeze filtering that I learned last summer -- put the Sawyer bag on a bench, or flat rock, or tree, and sit on it. Body weight will cause the water to fly out the filter into the water bottle. Looks, er, somewhat odd, but it's effective.

Pretty much what I do, but I have 2 Evernew bags (1 L each) and I get my Gatorade bottles for free from the recycling dumpster.

bigcranky
07-03-2015, 11:19
.... I get my Gatorade bottles for free from the recycling dumpster.

But yours don't come preloaded with free Gatorade, I bet. :)