PDA

View Full Version : Snickers Gap to Harper's Ferry Question? Help!!!!

Many Moons
07-02-2015, 20:11
Planning a fall hike and looking at my 2015 Companion Guide I have a few questions ??

Guide shows Snickers Gap at 999miles on elevation map and 1003.5 on detail area. Anyone know what is correct??

I am hiking north to Harper's Ferry then shuttle up to Penn Mar and Hike back to HF. Anyone know who to use for a shuttle service that I can safely park a car at??? Two shuttles needed??

Is the Econo Lodge any good in HF??

How many days to do from Penn Mar to HF???

Last question: Is the 20 or so miles from Snickers Gap to hard to do for a slack pack in one day?? I have never slacked packed and my usual hike is 10-13 miles with 30 pound pack, done all NC,GA, and TN.

Thanks for info!! Hike On!!!

Miller

Many Moons
07-09-2015, 13:03
No one responded yet. Hoping someone might be able to answer! Thanks!

Hike On!!!

Miller

Coffee
07-09-2015, 13:10
I don't know that I can answer all of your questions, but I can recommend the Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry. It is a very well run and clean facility. When I was there last year, Laurel was providing shuttle services and I believe she might go up to PenMar. As far as how long to plan on for getting back, the terrain is pretty easy overall. If you normally do 10-13 miles per day, maybe you should plan on three days to cover PenMar - HF. Regarding slack packing from Snickers Gap to HF, I think that doing 20 miles with a day pack is probably doable if you normally hike 10-13 mpd with a 30 pound pack.

illabelle
07-09-2015, 13:31
See my responses in green.

Planning a fall hike and looking at my 2015 Companion Guide I have a few questions ??

Guide shows Snickers Gap at 999miles on elevation map and 1003.5 on detail area. Anyone know what is correct??

I am hiking north to Harper's Ferry then shuttle up to Penn Mar and Hike back to HF. Anyone know who to use for a shuttle service that I can safely park a car at??? Two shuttles needed?? Mark Cusic 304-433-0028 can shuttle you through that area. He can also advise you of best places to leave your vehicle.

Is the Econo Lodge any good in HF??

How many days to do from Penn Mar to HF??? We did this section early in our backpacking adventures and took about 5 days. If we did it again, 3 days would be enough.

Last question: Is the 20 or so miles from Snickers Gap to hard to do for a slack pack in one day?? I have never slacked packed and my usual hike is 10-13 miles with 30 pound pack, done all NC,GA, and TN. Have you ever done 20 miles in one day? If not, your feet/legs might not be ready for that. Then again, if you can take a shoes-off break a couple times during the day, maybe you'll be okay. Good luck! :)

Thanks for info!! Hike On!!!

Miller

mak1277
07-09-2015, 16:21

Just north of Snickers Gap is a marker on the trail for 1,000 miles, so I'm guessing the Guide is correct.

Many Moons
07-09-2015, 16:30
Just north of Snickers Gap is a marker on the trail for 1,000 miles, so I'm guessing the Guide is correct.

Yea the 2015 is showing that it both 999 and 1003.5. Just trying to find out if the 1003.5 May be new measured miles and they have not changed the elevation map miles. This is my guess! HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Wyoming
07-09-2015, 17:32
I don't have a new guide book but I used to live 3 miles from Snickers Gap and it is almost exactly 20 miles from there to Harpers Ferry.

It should be a good hike for you if you are slacking. Tiring but very doable.

The only thing to keep in mind about that section of trail is that it gets a bit rocky (if your feet are wearing out they hurt a bit) going north before you drop off the ridge down to the rivers. It is pretty flat with no big climbs.

FYI you pass the Blackburn Trail center on this section and it is worth visiting.

Many Moons
07-09-2015, 23:15
I don't have a new guide book but I used to live 3 miles from Snickers Gap and it is almost exactly 20 miles from there to Harpers Ferry.

It should be a good hike for you if you are slacking. Tiring but very doable.

The only thing to keep in mind about that section of trail is that it gets a bit rocky (if your feet are wearing out they hurt a bit) going north before you drop off the ridge down to the rivers. It is pretty flat with no big climbs.

FYI you pass the Blackburn Trail center on this section and it is worth visiting.
Thanks! I might slow down and just plan two days!

Many Moons
01-04-2016, 20:38
Going to try this first of May 2016!

wornoutboots
01-04-2016, 20:47
I would park at HI Hostel, a few miles N of Harper Ferry, super place & they can connect you with a shuttler in the area, they're in the book. I stayed there 3 days on a 2015 sobo hike & they were amazing!!

Many Moons
01-05-2016, 19:59
I would park at HI Hostel, a few miles N of Harper Ferry, super place & they can connect you with a shuttler in the area, they're in the book. I stayed there 3 days on a 2015 sobo hike & they were amazing!!
Thanks! I will plan this hike now!

chknfngrs
01-05-2016, 23:02
I think my friends family stayed at the econolodge and it is what it is and does the job

Gambit McCrae
01-06-2016, 09:12
From Pen Mar to ATC took me 2.5 days and that was at the beginning of my hiking career. I would say that is a pretty reasonable time frame although I remember being miserable. It rained the whole time.

Snickers to ATC is 19-20 miles. For the experience I did the following as stops:
Started at Harpers Ferry(A second trip from MD trip)
Blackburn Trail center -Super cool place
Bears Den - Met some life long friends there
Dicks dome
Front royal
2 days of slack packing
Byrds hut
finished at Bootens Gap

Many Moons
05-11-2016, 21:52
Got it done first of May. Met some early thru hikers! parked at the National Park and Laurel gave me a shuttle!