PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with FAI

misprof
07-03-2015, 04:38
Hi, I am wondering if any of you are hiking with FAI or hip impingement? I have recently been diagnosed with FAI and am slowly watching my backpacking life go down the tubes. So I could use the encouragement. I was wondering with you who have this and hike how do you manage the hip belt?
Thanks

illabelle
07-03-2015, 07:05
Sorry to hear this. :( It might be easier to take if you were 20 years older, but mid-life, not so much.
I'm a year older than you, and have undiagnosed hip pain. No reason to suspect FAI (had to google that, btw), probably just overworked muscles & tendons. I guess I figured assorted aches and pains are part of getting older - a part that we can hopefully reduce/correct or maybe even avoid by getting fit.
By way of encouragement, I would suggest hiking with a group (if you're able to continue hiking at all) and depend on somebody else to carry some of your weight. Stick to easier trails, or shorter trips. But don't stay home. The wilderness needs you to steal out into the woods now and then. :)

misprof
07-04-2015, 00:36
Sorry to hear this. :( It might be easier to take if you were 20 years older, but mid-life, not so much.
I'm a year older than you, and have undiagnosed hip pain. No reason to suspect FAI (had to google that, btw), probably just overworked muscles & tendons. I guess I figured assorted aches and pains are part of getting older - a part that we can hopefully reduce/correct or maybe even avoid by getting fit.
By way of encouragement, I would suggest hiking with a group (if you're able to continue hiking at all) and depend on somebody else to carry some of your weight. Stick to easier trails, or shorter trips. But don't stay home. The wilderness needs you to steal out into the woods now and then. :)
Thanks: As to someone carrying some weight for me. I have a very loving husband who just grins and bears it. He is my beast of burden right now. :). Before the injury my base weight was 9-9.5lbs so I am trying to get lighter to help both of us out.

MuddyWaters
07-04-2015, 06:21
Out west you can use pack animals on many trails, like in the sierra. Llamas arent that rare.

The Solemates
07-06-2015, 10:22
shave it off. it can be painful and a slow recovery, but its fairly successful with a return back to 100% with no pain. i know others who have done it...one is a hockey player