PDA

View Full Version : First Hike: Springer to Woody

wesleyc6
07-04-2015, 21:40
Hi guys/gals,
Just wanted to pick your brains on a few questions. My son (12), myself and two other friends are going to leave Springer mid July and hike to Woody. We are planning 2 and 1/2 days to complete it. I have never done anything quite like this. We are going to use hammocks and have invested in some quality gear that is really lightweight. We are going to use Mountain House foods and use homemade alcohol stoves. We have backpacks with interior frames. We are planning to hike in shoes and shorts. We are bringing sleeping bags still as hammocks can get cool at night. We will be using 2L water bladders and a 32 oz gatorade bottle to haul a little extra from the springs. We plan to stay at Hawk and Gooch and get water there. Is there anything it sounds like we are missing or aren't planning for appropriately? I have hunted all my life and been outdoors all my life, but one thing we don't have in south GA really is bears and I have no idea what to do to stay safe with that. So any thoughts any of you would share?

Thanks,
Wes

Tundracamper
07-04-2015, 22:02
I did almost the exact same thing last September. Everything sounds good except the sleeping bag only plan. You will need more insulation under you that won't compress, such as a sleeping pad or underquilt. I spent the night at Plumorchard Gap Shelter two nights ago and my backside was quite cool without the underquilt in place. That shelter is at 3000 ft. Hawk is actually higher than that. I suspect it will be cool enough at night to require adequate insulation underneath, which is not a sleeping bag that gets compressed under your weight.

Also, go to Gander Mtn, Bass Pro, or comparable and get a couple of cans of bear spray, one for you and one for your son (and friends?). Keep it out where you can get to it quickly - not buried in a pack. It will set you back about 35-$40 per can, but has a shelf life of a few years. Hopefully you won't have to replace it until then. Just make sure everyone understands how to safely use it. We spent two nights on the trail and did not see a bear. However, we ran into some folks that saw a big one just north of Unicoi Gap. So they are out there.

I would also get a filter for the water.

Get all that junk out of the way and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glenlawson
07-04-2015, 22:25
It could be chilly if it's a little cooler like last week, but most of the time you are grateful for the cool. That is a great stretch to begin on, some ups and downs and plenty of water. The driest stretch you'll go through is between Hawk Mtn and Justus Creek. Otherwise, you'll have water every few miles with no need to carry much more than a quart or so.

I've never really seen bears through that area, mostly because they have to moved to where the picanickers are at the parks. There are bears near Blood Mtn, but they move down to Vogel to feed off all the wonderful things the campers leave out. As the above poster mentioned, there are bears near Unicoi Gap because of the campsites along FS44. There's also a campground on the other side of the ridge that has unsecured dumpsters that the bears feed out of. So, don't eat like a picnicker and don't leave smelly garbage in your pack.

The best bet is to hang your food and food garbage with a length of paracord about 15 feet off the ground. You almost have more to worry about from mice who will chew through your pack and a stuff sack to get at your trail mix or other food. If you get all of your food and food garbage into the hanging bag you will protect yourself from bears and mice (and I think the mice are a greater threat)

The other great thing about this hike is it is really all along FS 42. You can drop off one car at Woody then drive the other to the Springer Parking lot via Suches. Or you can arrange a shuttle to pick you up at Woody and take you to Springer.

Have fun!

FatMan
07-05-2015, 07:50
Other than it being warm and humid you should have a great time. IMO you will be fine in your hammock without a pad or under quilt. Very unlikely for temps to fall under 60 at night in July.

And since you are staying at shelters you will use the bear cables to protect your food from bears. And leave the bells and sprays at home. About the only thing you need to do if you see a bear in this area is get out your camera fast to get a picture before it runs away.

There are many reliable water sources between Springer and Woody. Only time you need to carry a bit more water is between Hawk Shelter and Justus Creek. It will be your toughest terrain and no water for about 6 miles, however sometimes a local shuttle driver leaves water jugs at Cooper Gap for hikers who need it.

Enjoy your hike.

MuddyWaters
07-05-2015, 08:15
Youll have a great time.
You might surprise yourself and be able to go farther than planned.

Id plan some contingencies depending how you feel. You may decide after day 1 gives you confidence, why not make neel gap. Its easily doable.

The thing about hiking is...its not camping. When you stop walking, there isnt much else to do. You can also camp anywhere, you dont have to stay near a rat infested, graffiti covered shelter. Ask yourself why you are sticking to shelters?

Dont worry about bears. Welcome any opportunity to see one.

Abatis1948
07-05-2015, 08:29
I have been using a hammock for the last two years on my section and overnight hikes in that area. The first year I used a hammock (July 2014) at Hawk Mountain I did not use a closed cell pad and I was awake by 2 am with cold shoulders. My poncho took care of the problem. Later in October 2014, I used a pad and had no problems. I have since obtain a 3 season underquilt and find it works very well and will only carry a pad if there is a chance I need to go to ground. Have fun. You should check out https://www.hammockforums.net

bigcranky
07-05-2015, 08:55
+1 on bringing a piece of closed cell foam to put under your torso at night. I use that all summer long in my hammock. You can buy a blue foam sleeping pad at Wal-Mart and cut it in half to get two torso size pads. (I'd look for a thinner pad rather than the thick eggcrate pad they also have.)

Otherwise it looks fine. The bears shouldn't be an issue -- use the "bear cables" you find at each shelter to hang your food at night (bring a big waterproof stuff sack for this).

Have fun!

daddytwosticks
07-05-2015, 09:58
Don't worry about bears. Take proper precautions (bear cables) and have fun. :)

wesleyc6
07-05-2015, 22:28
Wow, thanks guys for making me feel so welcome and the helpful hints. I didn't mean we would actually stay at the shelters, I really meant in that general area. I have a pad for the hammock, but didn't think I would need it in July. I will bring it though since you guys think I might. I am so grateful to hear that it will be cool to sleep, as it is hot hot hot in my part of GA this time of year. I will bring some cord and have already bought some of the 2mm trash bags so I will hang the stuff in that. How far do I hang it from where we hang the hammocks? Also, I know you pack out what you pack in, so I assume we hang our trash at night too? I am a falconer and am not usually afraid of wild animals at all, but I just don't know much about bears and my wife read of someone getting attacked on the trail while in a hammock, so she of course is worried about her boys. I am not that nervous about seeing them in the day as I am about something happening in the dark.

wesleyc6
07-05-2015, 22:30
I have been using a hammock for the last two years on my section and overnight hikes in that area. The first year I used a hammock (July 2014) at Hawk Mountain I did not use a closed cell pad and I was awake by 2 am with cold shoulders. My poncho took care of the problem. Later in October 2014, I used a pad and had no problems. I have since obtain a 3 season underquilt and find it works very well and will only carry a pad if there is a chance I need to go to ground. Have fun. You should check out https://www.hammockforums.net

Oh yeah, I love that place! That is how I got all my gear together.

MuddyWaters
07-05-2015, 23:02
Tell your wife that there has never been a documented attack on a person by a bear in GA.

Have fun. Look forward to seeing bears, and consider yourself lucky if you do. They arent usually very big (100-300 lbs) and you arent on the menu. All they might be interested in is your food.

bigcranky
07-06-2015, 07:03
You'll find that hanging your hammocks near the shelters makes your life a lot easier, especially on a first trip. There's lots of space to hang (or set up tents) near all the shelters in Georgia, and they have pre-installed bear cables, privies, and good water nearby.

The bear cables are very useful as they let you hang your food properly and easily. If you end up camping elsewhere, here's a link to a page on how to hang a bear bag (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html#.VZpZWGRViko). I usually hang my food a couple of hundred feet from camp. It's easier if you have a really big stuff sack.

wesleyc6
07-07-2015, 14:27
Tell your wife that there has never been a documented attack on a person by a bear in GA.

Have fun. Look forward to seeing bears, and consider yourself lucky if you do. They arent usually very big (100-300 lbs) and you arent on the menu. All they might be interested in is your food.
Ha, I sure will. She will rest easier!

wesleyc6
07-07-2015, 14:28
thanks for the link Bigcranky!