PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 reasons for thru-hiking the AT

honu
11-20-2005, 15:58
Fortunately, I rarely have to deal with the question of why I want to thru-hike the AT. People who know me well accept that's just part of who I am. Knowing the strength and depth of my desire is enough. Understanding why it exists doesn't really matter. It's not something they would do but, by the same token, there are things they love to do that I have no interest in. We don't have to share the same passions or understand why they exist in order to support one another in the pursuit of our respective longings.

When people who don't know me ask why I want to thru-hike the AT, I'd just as soon not try to explain. But I don't want come across as dismissive or rude with a curt response like "If you have to ask, you can't understand." So I have come up with an alternative non-answer -- a top 10 list of why people thru-hike the AT. If you can think of others that should be added, by all means share.

The top 10 reasons given by thru-hikers on the AT.

10. I heard a movie is being made about Bill Bryson's book and wanted to get a role as an extra.

9. A social worker told me this was a shortcut to a homeless shelter.

8. I don't need to ask for directions. I'm not lost. The parking lot is just a little bit further down the trail.

7. My girlfriend and I went to Amicalola State Park for a picnic. She wanted to play hide and seek. She's good, but I'm not giving up.

6. I'm pursuing the vandals who are defacing these trees with white and blue paint.

5. I work for the EPA and am trying to track down the source of an offensive odor that Harpers Ferry residents are complaining about.

4. I'm testing batteries for Consumer Reports and the Energizer Bunny just keeps going and going and going.

3. I was driving in Baxter State Park when a park ranger pulled me over. He told me to get out of my car and touch my nose with my forefinger. I did that. Then he told me to stand on one leg. I did that. Then he told me to walk down the white line.

2. I learned my mother-in-law is planning to move in with us.

And the number one reason given by thru-hikers on the AT --

1. I'm the "Can you hear me now?" guy for Verizon.

Doctari
11-20-2005, 16:19
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Espicially #1

Thanx, I needed that.

Doctari.

Kerosene
11-20-2005, 18:29
Very creative.