PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts

tflaris
07-05-2015, 20:36
My wife and I are planning a AT Section hike in Sept and I have composed the following gear lists. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

The weight is a little off as my wife will be carrying the cooking and medical/hygiene stuff as well as her sleeping stuff and water..

My packs I weighted today before a hike was around 24 pounds.

Thanks

TF

http://lighterpack.com/r/7d57jy

4shot
07-06-2015, 08:45
where will you be hiking? I don't think you would need baselayer bottoms at all (depending on temp rating of sleeping bag) anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line in Sept. Or the stuff to make a fire (unless you just enjoy having one). 24 pounds is nice, especially if it contained your food and water. have fun!

tflaris
07-06-2015, 09:48
I'm planning Springer to Hog Pen in Sept. 3 days trip on the trail.

TF

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

glenlawson
07-06-2015, 18:19
I don't think you'll need your warm layers, at least not the sweater or the long underwear pants. the long underwear shirt can be your cool morning (maybe 60s) shirt, but you'll shed it once you start walking. you won't need the stocking cap.

even though September is dry, you will have plenty of water all along the trail, no need to carry much more than a liter at a time. you do go about 7 miles between Hawk Mtn and Justus Creek without good water, but other than that there is plenty.

I didn't exactly see gear for hanging your food. Most shelters have bear/mouse cables but away from the shelters it is good to hang your food with a sack, cord and a small carabiner.

Good luck, that is a beautiful stretch of trail.

tflaris
07-08-2015, 15:26
I was brining 15' of rope to hang food and was planning on using ursack to store food in.

TF

misprof
07-08-2015, 16:41
I am wondering what you will be cooking that you need a whole cooking set rather than just 1 pot. If the 5lbs of food is for the two of you it is could be to little. My husband as a general rule figure #of days X 1.5lbs X people. Check your water weight. 1 liter= 1 kilo. I saw you had down 2 liters and 4.4 kilos. So you are either carrying 4liters or you meant to say lbs in which case you just lightened your load by 4.5lbs. :)

Starchild
07-08-2015, 17:24
What water purification method are you using?

ChrisJackson
07-08-2015, 19:18
I was brining 15' of rope to hang food and was planning on using ursack to store food in.

TF

I'd just use the Ursack as directed by the manufacturer, wouldn't worry about hanging it with rope...(am assuming we're talking about the AllWhite Ursack version here).

tflaris
07-08-2015, 21:57
I was speaking of the liners in a regular sack. Were you speaking of the bear proof sack? I was under the impression the mice were worst than the Bears.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisJackson
07-08-2015, 22:06
Ahh okay. Yep, I was speaking of the bear proof Ursack. It's pretty convenient. The shelters in Georgia also have bear cables that can be used as well...

(I'll often camp away from shelters and use the Ursack)

Sarcasm the elf
07-08-2015, 22:10

TF

You need more than 15 feet of rope to properly hang a bearbag.

http://theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hanging-A-Bear-Bag.png

tflaris
07-09-2015, 12:40
I'm using the Sawyer Mini Filter system.

TF

tflaris
07-09-2015, 12:42
I am wondering what you will be cooking that you need a whole cooking set rather than just 1 pot. If the 5lbs of food is for the two of you it is could be to little. My husband as a general rule figure #of days X 1.5lbs X people. Check your water weight. 1 liter= 1 kilo. I saw you had down 2 liters and 4.4 kilos. So you are either carrying 4liters or you meant to say lbs in which case you just lightened your load by 4.5lbs. :)

Yes I picked the wrong unit of measurement, thanks for picking uo on that. I will be caring 2 liters of water. For cooking I'm planning on some store bought Backpackers Panty meals using a pocket rocket and the GSi Dualist System.

tflaris
07-09-2015, 12:46
You need more than 15 feet of rope to properly hang a bearbag.

http://theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hanging-A-Bear-Bag.png

Wow. Thanks for the great illustration. I will practice before going to make sure I have the technique down. Greatly appreciated.

TF

Traveler
07-09-2015, 13:25
Let us know if you master that. I have been doing this for a considerable amount of time, but for some reason I turn into Jerry Lewis a lot when I try to get a simple bear bag line over a branch.

Coffee
07-09-2015, 13:29
The hardest part of the PCT hang is finding the right tree with a strong, but not too strong, branch at the right height without lots of other branches or bushes below it to tangle up the line. You want the branch strong enough to support the weight of the food bag, too large to be something a bear could break off while climbing the trunk of the tree, but small enough so that a bear cannot walk on it without risk of it breaking. If I cannot find a suitable branch, I normally will sleep with my food, which is always inside an opsak, which then goes into the bear bag.

Traveler
07-09-2015, 13:32
The hardest part of the PCT hang is finding the right tree with a strong, but not too strong, branch at the right height without lots of other branches or bushes below it to tangle up the line. You want the branch strong enough to support the weight of the food bag, too large to be something a bear could break off while climbing the trunk of the tree, but small enough so that a bear cannot walk on it without risk of it breaking. If I cannot find a suitable branch, I normally will sleep with my food, which is always inside an opsak, which then goes into the bear bag.

The "Goldilocks" branch....

tflaris
07-09-2015, 13:36

Updated weight

Backpackers Panty Vegan Meals for 2 (Dinner)
Cliff Bars (lunch)
Smart Bars, energy bars (snack)
Oatmenal, Almonds/Cranberry (Breakfast)
Instant Coffee, single serving pack (Breakfast)

Thanks for the assistance

TF

tflaris
07-09-2015, 13:37
Let us know if you master that. I have been doing this for a considerable amount of time, but for some reason I turn into Jerry Lewis a lot when I try to get a simple bear bag line over a branch.

I doubt it will go well. But we will need something to do for the entertainment.

TF

Traveler
07-09-2015, 13:48
I doubt it will go well. But we will need something to do for the entertainment.

TF

If you can master that goofy "hey lady!" signature line, you can make it look like its on purpose.

Moosling
07-09-2015, 14:44
Updated weight

TF

Backpackers Panty's thats normally really smelly stuff, you must have a strong stomache :op

Enjoy your trip bud!

Siestita
07-10-2015, 03:29
Unless I missed it, your list does not include either toothpaste or toilet paper.

A GPS (Garmin) is not necessary for hiking on the AT, nor is it needed elsewhere in the eastern USA for that matter. Why not just put a rock in your pack instead? The rock would distract you less from enjoying the woods.

Sunglasses will be needed whenever you decide to hike through alpine snow fields somewhere. But, unless your eyes are especially sensitive, you will not need them during your early September hike under Georgia's forest canopy.

Backpacking adults typically need to consume 1.5 to 2 lbs. of food per day, assuming that the food is all, or nearly all dehydrated. So, unless you intend your initial backpacking adventure to be a fasting/suffering exercise, consider taking with you at least 4 lbs. of food for each of you, in other words a total of 8 lbs., not just the 5 lbs on your revised list. That's assuming "three days" actually means a two night trip during which the first day's breakfast and last day's dinner will be consumed "off trail". If, however, you will actually be on the trail for three days and three nights, each of you should carry at least 4 1/2 lbs. of food.

"Backpackers Panty Vegan Meals for 2 (Dinner)
Cliff Bars (lunch)
Instant Coffee, single serving pack (Breakfast)"

Energy wise, there's nothing wrong with your food selection, provided you take more of it. If you read the labels, you will find that its nearly all carbohydrate, with perhaps a bit of protein in the "Smart Bars" and the "Vegan Meals". Neither those carbs nor the proteins will provide you with more than 100 calories per ounce. Read the labels. Then, add food until each of you has at least 2,600 calories per day, and preferably 3,000 calories or more.

I am not personally familiar with the "Backpackers Pantry Vegan Meals". But, in my experience, "recommended" portion sizes of freeze dried (or dehydrated) backpacker meals are often set optimistically, perhaps for marketing purposes. So, read labels carefully and compare the calorie counts to what you'll need. And, consider taking along some nuts, or nut intense form of trail mix. Fats, including nuts, provide more than twice as many calories per ounce as carbs and proteins do. At home many of us need to restrict the quantity of fat that we consume. On the trail it's different.

misprof
07-10-2015, 04:45
Updated weight

Cliff Bars (lunch)
Instant Coffee, single serving pack (Breakfast)

Thanks for the assistance

TF
No problem. I have never used the Backpacker Pantry meals but looking at the calorie count are you planning on 1 meal for 2 for each person? That way you would get about 700+ calories each? Just wondering. For me I would add some coconut or olive oil to my breakfast and smother my cliff bar in peanut butter or almond butter. But I have a wicked high metabolism. Maybe someone else can comment.:) Enjoy your trip.

tflaris
07-10-2015, 06:59
Unless I missed it, your list does not include either toothpaste or toilet paper.

A GPS (Garmin) is not necessary for hiking on the AT, nor is it needed elsewhere in the eastern USA for that matter. Why not just put a rock in your pack instead? The rock would distract you less from enjoying the woods.

Sunglasses will be needed whenever you decide to hike through alpine snow fields somewhere. But, unless your eyes are especially sensitive, you will not need them during your early September hike under Georgia's forest canopy.

Backpacking adults typically need to consume 1.5 to 2 lbs. of food per day, assuming that the food is all, or nearly all dehydrated. So, unless you intend your initial backpacking adventure to be a fasting/suffering exercise, consider taking with you at least 4 lbs. of food for each of you, in other words a total of 8 lbs., not just the 5 lbs on your revised list. That's assuming "three days" actually means a two night trip during which the first day's breakfast and last day's dinner will be consumed "off trail". If, however, you will actually be on the trail for three days and three nights, each of you should carry at least 4 1/2 lbs. of food.

"Backpackers Panty Vegan Meals for 2 (Dinner)
Cliff Bars (lunch)
Instant Coffee, single serving pack (Breakfast)"

Energy wise, there's nothing wrong with your food selection, provided you take more of it. If you read the labels, you will find that its nearly all carbohydrate, with perhaps a bit of protein in the "Smart Bars" and the "Vegan Meals". Neither those carbs nor the proteins will provide you with more than 100 calories per ounce. Read the labels. Then, add food until each of you has at least 2,600 calories per day, and preferably 3,000 calories or more.

I am not personally familiar with the "Backpackers Pantry Vegan Meals". But, in my experience, "recommended" portion sizes of freeze dried (or dehydrated) backpacker meals are often set optimistically, perhaps for marketing purposes. So, read labels carefully and compare the calorie counts to what you'll need. And, consider taking along some nuts, or nut intense form of trail mix. Fats, including nuts, provide more than twice as many calories per ounce as carbs and proteins do. At home many of us need to restrict the quantity of fat that we consume. On the trail it's different.

Thanks for the great information. I will look into this and make sure I bring enough food. I was looking at food for every meal but might have overlooked the overall calorie count.

Thanks again
TF

tflaris
07-10-2015, 07:01
No problem. I have never used the Backpacker Pantry meals but looking at the calorie count are you planning on 1 meal for 2 for each person? That way you would get about 700+ calories each? Just wondering. For me I would add some coconut or olive oil to my breakfast and smother my cliff bar in peanut butter or almond butter. But I have a wicked high metabolism. Maybe someone else can comment.:) Enjoy your trip.

We were planning on splitting the Backpackers Panty. Meals. If I remember correctly they are around 700 calories for 2 people.

TF

Singto
07-10-2015, 07:29
That bear bagging illustration is good stuff.

tflaris
07-10-2015, 09:29
If you can master that goofy "hey lady!" signature line, you can make it look like its on purpose.

I will start practicing this also. Any instructional films you recommend?

Traveler
07-10-2015, 15:04
I will start practicing this also. Any instructional films you recommend?

If I can pry the iPhone vid away from my hiking buddy, you can watch me make 7 attempts, that should suffice.

JohnG10
07-14-2015, 18:01
Don't plan on splitting the freeze dried meals.
They feed 1 hungry hiker each - at BEST.
For males, you'll probably need to supplement the freeze dried meal with an energy bar to feel unhungry.

Here's what I eat:

Breakfast: 4 packets of brown sugar flavored Quaker instant oats or 5 packets of Apple & cinnamon Quaker oats or 5 packets of walnut and date Quaker oats. Surprisingly, the different flavor fill the bowl a different amount.

Snacks = lunch spread out throughout the day, eating about every 2-3 hours: 3 macadamia nut cliff bars or 4 high calorie protein cereal bars or 5 regular granola bars. My guess is that the calories of these options is very similar.

Dinner: 1 mountain house super high calorie meal (like chili Mac), or 1 regular mountain house meal plus a protein or granola bar.

Late night snack (to keep warm all night): 1 snickers bar or 1 macadamia nut cliff bar.

This is the right amount of food for a 45-50 year old male, carrying a pack weighing 22-27 lbs, and walking 16-18 miles per day at a 2.25 mph pace over rolling rocky AT terrain, with 15 minute breaks every 2 hours, on 3-5 day hikes.

My teenage son eats lots more, my wife eats a little less. A hiker that is on the trail for more than a 2 weeks eats way, way, way more because their metabolism shifts into high gear.

In the hottest part of the summer, my appetite goes down a little due to the extreme heat, so I eat 2-3 granola bars per day less.

tflaris
07-14-2015, 18:51
Thanks for the detailed breakdown on food.

Greatly appreciated!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist