PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for two week trip this Fall...

Ryder
07-05-2015, 22:35
I'm planning a two week trip (most likely solo) toward the end of September or early October.
Any suggestions as to where I should go? Your tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks!

MuddyWaters
07-05-2015, 22:46
Somewhere leaves are turning, like VT.

egilbe
07-06-2015, 09:26
Somewhere leaves are turning, like VT.

The weekends in the White Mountains can be pretty packed with tourists from the Eastern seaboard. Avoid them if you can. The Long Trail in VT would be good. Start at the border and hike South. Be prepared for possible snow.

Ryder
07-06-2015, 12:46
Thank you both!

mak1277
07-06-2015, 16:56
Canyon country in Southern Utah.

Ryder
07-06-2015, 17:03
Canyon country in Southern Utah.

I'd love to go there.
Wyoming is another one of my favorites- but this will be my first solo backpacking trip, so I am trying to find something a little closer to home.
Next year, I'll probably head back West.

Coffee
07-06-2015, 17:39
I'm thinking about either starting in Front Royal and hiking for a couple of weeks starting mid October, or possibly thru hiking the Bartram Trail connecting to the AT either NOBO to Fontana Dam or SOBO maybe all the way to Springer. But I've got a bunch of things up in the air right now that could yet screw up these plans. I haven't yet done a longer hike in peak foliage season.

Ryder
07-06-2015, 20:06
I'm thinking about either starting in Front Royal and hiking for a couple of weeks starting mid October, or possibly thru hiking the Bartram Trail connecting to the AT either NOBO to Fontana Dam or SOBO maybe all the way to Springer. But I've got a bunch of things up in the air right now that could yet screw up these plans. I haven't yet done a longer hike in peak foliage season.

I've got some things up in the air as well, but I'm thinking I can make the first two weeks of October.
Are the leaves colorful in Virginia that early? (I guess I could google that question :rolleyes:)

Coffee
07-06-2015, 20:09
I've got some things up in the air as well, but I'm thinking I can make the first two weeks of October.
Are the leaves colorful in Virginia that early? (I guess I could google that question :rolleyes:)

I used to hike Old Rag in SNP every year around mid-October which usually seems like the most reliable time to see fall colors in Shenandoah National Park at higher elevations. As the season progresses, the peak color moves down from the ridges into the valleys. I haven't spent much time in West Virginia but I believe that the leaves turn there a bit earlier.

Walkintom
07-06-2015, 20:10
Isle Royale.

Ryder
07-06-2015, 20:51
I used to hike Old Rag in SNP every year around mid-October which usually seems like the most reliable time to see fall colors in Shenandoah National Park at higher elevations. As the season progresses, the peak color moves down from the ridges into the valleys. I haven't spent much time in West Virginia but I believe that the leaves turn there a bit earlier.

Isle Royale.

I've never been there, but I love it up north and Isle Royale looks beautiful!
Have you by chance ever been over to Manitoulin Island or Killarney Provincial Park in Lake Huron- Ontario?

Studlintsean
07-06-2015, 21:48
As coffee said, mid October is normally peak leaf season in the SNP area. I'm actually getting married in the mountains in Waynesboro, VA October 17th this year so I'm hoping this year is similar to past years.