PDA

View Full Version : Pack rubbing

Kevkaos
07-06-2015, 10:22
My little trail dog has a new pack he is learning to wear. He loves it. Gets very excited when it comes out because he knows he is going hiking. Notices on yesterdays hike that he has a spot about the size of a nickle, where his short hair has been rubbed away and left a bald spot. No sign of redness (yet), but I fear that is next. Wondering if anyone else has had this sort of problem and how they dealt with it. I was thinking of sticking moleskin on the inside where the rub seems to be. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Water Rat
07-06-2015, 12:13
Congratulations! I have two pooches who always get excited to see their packs come out for a hike! :) It's fun to having hiking buddies who are just as excited to hit the trail.

Is the rub spot under the pack, or under the strap? If it is under the strap, I would take one of those fleece seatbelt covers (the ones you can slip over the seatbelt strap to keep the strap from rubbing against your neck) and slide that over the strap. If the rub spot is under the pack itself, I would get some of the thick fleece material (the kind that is like fake sheepskin) and would sew that to the underside of the pack.

If you use Moleskin, there is the chance that it could rub off the pack and get stuck in your pooch's fur and cause more issues.

Good luck!

saltysack
07-06-2015, 15:00
Body glide? I can't leave my house with my pack or my dog goes nuts......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Rat
07-06-2015, 15:06
I had never heard of using Body Glide on a dog, so I had to look it up. Learn something new every day! I wonder if there are any long-term issues with that? Makes me wonder if Musher's Wax could also be used... Since they make that to go on doggy feet, maybe it could be multi-use?

saltysack
07-06-2015, 15:08
Glad u looked it up but I figured if safe for people should be ok...I've used mushers a few times to lube a hot spot or blister...worked good but I started lifting my leg to Pee..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Rat
07-06-2015, 17:50
Well, that was an unexpected side effect... I am so glad you tried it and not me! ;)

Body Glide would probably be okay on pooches (as much as anything else) for short term/in a pinch use... I was just wondering because they are more likely to lick themselves and possibly ingest the Body Glide. I'm almost scared to ask if you have licked a stick of Body Glide! :D