PDA

View Full Version : Cashing food at Albert Mountain

floid
07-06-2015, 10:31
I am wanting to leave myself a food cache at Albert mountain so I don't have to carry as much.. Has anyone done this? Any good place you would recommend to leave it?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Starchild
07-06-2015, 11:31
There are places throughout that area that will accept mail drops, I'm sure you could also hand deliver the package you will pick up later.

jbwood5
07-06-2015, 12:27
I am wanting to leave myself a food cache at Albert mountain so I don't have to carry as much.. Has anyone done this? Any good place you would recommend to leave it?

Albert Mtn... In North Carolina?

I know of no place this can be done there. You best go all the way to Franklin (Hitch from the highway or call for a shuttle).

There use to be Rainbow Springs Campground a few miles north from there but they closed up a long time ago. I'm not sure if the Standing Indian campground registration office can even help you, plus it is a bit out of the way and it has very limited hours (possibly only open on the weekend).

floid
07-06-2015, 12:56
Thanks. I was thinking if hiding a bear bag a couple hundred yards off the trail. Probably best to just carry it I suppose. I'm hiking Unicoi to NOC.

dmax
07-06-2015, 13:10
There are plenty of places to stash a cache there. But, I have no directions or distance one has to travel on the gravel road. If you do drive it make a stop at Pickens nose, a few miles from there. Maybe someone knows some driving info for you to see if it is feasible or not.

dmax
07-06-2015, 13:12
You could also drive to standing indian campground, park, and hike up towards the AT from the kiosk. You could hike up about a mile and stash it near the AT.

saltysack
07-06-2015, 13:33
I believe there are bear boxes at deep gap...lil before Albert mtn...don't think I'd trust the hill billies w my food....rather hide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
07-06-2015, 16:26
I believe there are bear boxes at deep gap...lil before Albert mtn...don't think I'd trust the hill billies w my food....rather hide

Deep Gap is probably 12 or so miles before Albert. Unless something has change in the last two months, there are no bear boxes at Deep Gap...just bear-proof trash cans. :)

saltysack
07-06-2015, 16:28
Aaaaaahhh it was night last time I passed them...thx