PDA

View Full Version : Pens for Waterproof Maps

HooKooDooKu
07-06-2015, 12:53
Any suggestions on what works best on waterproof maps that can stand up to the abuse of trail use?

If it makes any difference, the specific maps I'm looking to write on include:
John Muir Trail Map=Pack (Tom Harrison Maps) (http://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Trail-Map-Pack-Harrison/dp/1877689343/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436201073&sr=8-1&keywords=JMT+trail+maps), and
National Geographic Topographic Map Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Topographic-National-Geographic-Trails-Illustrated/dp/1566956897/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C888WB7VY1QPB868FRC).

My first thought is to try an ultrafine Sharpie. But I know from experience that this 'Permanent Marker' is NOT on certain surfaces.

atraildreamer
07-06-2015, 13:20
Grease pencil?

samb.
07-06-2015, 13:47
http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-STD313WP4A6-Permanent-Markers/dp/B0007OEDQ6

Those are what we use in the Marine Corps. Go permanent but you will need an eraser pen as well, and superfine if you are doing actual map work. If not plotting grids or anything like that then fine point will work for you.

Feral Bill
07-06-2015, 14:27
Maybe a Fisher Space Pen?

HooKooDooKu
07-06-2015, 14:29
Grease pencil?
The grease pencils I've ever used were very blunt... I don't think they would be suitable for the fine details I'm looking to add (such as locations of known camp sites). Plus if I do the work of marking the maps now, by the time I get around to using them in about 2 years, isn't there the possibility that handling of the maps over the next few years might smudge the marks?

bemental
07-06-2015, 14:55
http://www.amazon.com/Staedtler-STD313WP4A6-Permanent-Markers/dp/B0007OEDQ6

Those are what we use in the Marine Corps. Go permanent but you will need an eraser pen as well, and superfine if you are doing actual map work. If not plotting grids or anything like that then fine point will work for you.

+1

These are the go-to pens for map work. Just retired from active duty USMC myself as well.

Ditto on the erasable pen, although a Mr. Clean 'magic eraser' works equally as well.

BirdBrain
07-06-2015, 16:04
Maybe a Fisher Space Pen?

This reminds me of the differences in space program approaches to problems. We created a pen that wrote in zero gravity. The Russians used a pencil. I vote pencil.

bemental
07-06-2015, 16:12
I believe the OP is talking about a plastic-laminate waterproofing over a paper map. If so, your stereotypical pencil/pen, even a Fisher, will **not** work without damaging the map (pressing too hard) or rubbing off (writing gently on the plastic).

Go with the Staedtler's, you wont be dissapointed.

An ultra-fine Sharpie will work as well, you just won't get the contrast that comes with the Staedtler's various colors.

Again, don't forget the magic eraser or 'white' Staedtler eraser pen to remove the permanent marks as required.

Vegan Packer
07-08-2015, 00:18
I just used a Sharpie Pro Industrial (extra fine tip), and it worked on the waterproof trail map paper.

HooKooDooKu
07-08-2015, 01:11
I've ordered a 6-pack of the Staedtler for <$14 shipped. Scheduled for delivery in a week.

I was going to try the 4-pack for <$8, but estimated delivery wasn't going to be until August... unless I used expidited shipping... but that somehow bumped the cost to over $50?

If anyone wants to try to find these pen locally, like at Staples of OfficeMax, don't look in the pen section because they are in the art and engineering drawings section. You have to look real close at which Staedtler pens you are looking at as the ones linked are 'permanent', but they also make non-permanent, transparency, and many others.

Dogwood
07-08-2015, 01:14
Yup, +2 those Staedtler pens are good that were linked to. Also, could go with the WP Rite in the Rain pens.

http://www.riteintherain.com/all-weather-pens

Be mindful to use WP pens/ink on WP paper which both the Tom Harrison Sierras and Nat Geo Trail Illustrated JMT map are printed on or you may vey well get writing that will still smudge and run basically turning a WP map into a non WP map. I've made that mistake ruining two WP trail journals and a few maps including two Nat Go TI WP maps. It is not just about getting a writing instrument that can take readily to WP paper.

HooKooDooKu
07-18-2015, 11:42
I've ordered a 6-pack of the Staedtler for <$14 shipped. Scheduled for delivery in a week.
Staedtler pens came in while I was on a camping trip.

Tried to use them to update my 10 year old National Geographic waterproof map of GSMNP.

My only disappointment is the thickness of the lines even though I'm using the 0.4mm S tips. Can't find a way to make tiny marks. What I really need is a Staedtler with a 0.1mm tip.

However, given that I don't think Sharpies are not going to have a finer tip, I would say you guys hit the mark in suggesting Staedtler Lumocolor permanent pens.

Feral Bill
07-18-2015, 11:50
This reminds me of the differences in space program approaches to problems. We created a pen that wrote in zero gravity. The Russians used a pencil. I vote pencil.
If you can believe Fisher, the Russians use their pens too. Maybe later in the game.

imscotty
07-18-2015, 12:09
In the Rain Forest I use the rite-in-the-rain pens. They work fine, but a bit expensive.
Astronaut pens work too.
But a regular #2 pencil works fine on the rite-in-the-rain type paper. A cheap, low-tech option.