PDA

View Full Version : Treat. Yo. Self

Ryder
07-06-2015, 21:55
After several nights, weeks, or months away, what is your favorite way to treat yourself?
Favorite beer, food, etc?

I was a vegetarian for fifteen years. However, after a two week canoe trip in Canada during the month October...I ate a greasy cheeseburger and never looked back.
I still love me some cheeseburgers. Add to that, a double IPA- and I wouldn't need anything else- except maybe a warm shower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOazGVaybe4

Malto
07-06-2015, 22:06
That really depends. my body often tells me what it is looking for via cravings. these have ranged from beer (carbs), salads, meat and ice cream. no standard.

FlyFishNut
07-07-2015, 06:22
After several nights, weeks, or months away, what is your favorite way to treat yourself?
Favorite beer, food, etc?

I was a vegetarian for fifteen years. However, after a two week canoe trip in Canada during the month October...I ate a greasy cheeseburger and never looked back.
I still love me some cheeseburgers.

So, after falling off the wagon did you go back to being a veggie and what initially brought you to it?? I'm thinking it would be really hard to stay on that diet - damn near impossible, but I'm intrigued.

I'm toying with going to a mainly plant based diet right now. Can't say I'll go pure veggie, though - I'm pretty carnivorous but feel like I need a change. Energy is low, want to really get lean...

mak1277
07-07-2015, 08:39
When it comes to food, pretty much every day is "treat yo self" day. If I'm hungry for something I eat it...I don't need to accomplish something like a hike in order to allow myself the delight of a good donut, greasy cheeseburger or anything else.

Ryder
07-07-2015, 16:00
So, after falling off the wagon did you go back to being a veggie and what initially brought you to it?? I'm thinking it would be really hard to stay on that diet - damn near impossible, but I'm intrigued.

I'm toying with going to a mainly plant based diet right now. Can't say I'll go pure veggie, though - I'm pretty carnivorous but feel like I need a change. Energy is low, want to really get lean...

I became a vegetarian when I was 15. Probably because I read a book or something and thought I could save the planet. lol.
After that cheeseburger, I went back to being a veggie for about a minute or two. Then, a few weeks later, I was craving hamburgers again. A day or two later, I found out I was pregnant with my first baby. So, that being said, I figured my body was lacking something- so I went back to eating meat and never looked back (That was about twenty years ago) I am very careful about what I eat. I think high (lean) protein and lots of fruit and vegetables is the way to go. At least, it seems to be working for me.

When it comes to food, pretty much every day is "treat yo self" day. If I'm hungry for something I eat it...I don't need to accomplish something like a hike in order to allow myself the delight of a good donut, greasy cheeseburger or anything else.

That's how I am with wine. And beer. Not to mention, a good single malt scotch.

Coffee
07-07-2015, 16:05
If getting into town before lunch: Coke, deli sandwich, and large bag of BBQ chips at grocery store. Burger, fries, shake at some type of diner. Then coffee shop (coffee, various pastries, etc). Then, pizza and ice cream for dinner.

If getting into town before 10am, insert enormous breakfast (omelet, pancakes, home fries, hash browns, etc) before the grocery store.

If in town a second day, repeat the first but try for Mexican food instead of pizza for dinner.

FlyFishNut
07-07-2015, 17:15
Bigass Steak - Delmonico or Cowboy bone-in ribeye cooked R A R E and a big 'twice baked tater' with bacon and ranch slathered on it.. washed down with an ICE cold IPA, followed by sitting in front of a fire with my feet up sipping Elijah Craig...

This thread is killing me... I want to get my Half Marathon pace down and simple physics says lightening the load is the part of the equation that needs attention.

rocketsocks
07-07-2015, 17:30
I think a treat while hiking would be I nice huge Cesar salad with sliced pears extra tomatoes on the side (while in season) Cream spinach, and a greasy bacon double cheese burger for desert.

Ryder
07-09-2015, 19:17
Lots of delicious treats here!!

QiWiz
07-10-2015, 10:33
Go into a town and find a breakfast-served-all-day place and have some eggs and meats and carbs (potatoes, biscuits, toast, etc.) just the way you like them. Don't forget juice and coffee.

Vegan Packer
07-10-2015, 14:41
I have been eating so well on the trail that I don't feel the need to pig out when I am back in civilization. I cook and dehydrate all of my meals and snacks for the trail, and I have been loving everything that I eat. BTW, that's with all meals being fully vegan.

Here's a sample daily menu:

Breakfast
Turmeric Tea (a sort of hot cocoa type of drink that tastes like ginger and cinnamon)
Spicy ginger brown rice pudding with raisins
Homemade trail bar (oatmeal based with molasses)

Morning Snack
Trail Bar
Spicy Cinnamon Ginger Applesauce Fruit Roll

Lunch
Roasted Red Pepper and Lime Hummus
Bagel Chips (store bought)

Afternoon Snack
Trail Bar
Cherry Fruit Roll

Dinner
Creamy Lime Sauce Pasta with Mushrooms
Soy-Ginger Tofu Jerky
Tempura Snapeas (a texture like cheese puffs)
Spicy Cinnamon Ginger Applesauce

Night Time Snack
Peanut Butter Caramel Tofu Jerky
Turmeric Tea

Everything is either ready to eat, or it is freezerbag cooked (by adding hot or cold water).

jdc5294
07-10-2015, 14:48
When I was out on the AT I went into town roughly once a week, and I always let myself go into some variation of an ihop, waffle house, huddle house, denny's, or something for breakfast.

Ryder
07-10-2015, 16:18
I have been eating so well on the trail that I don't feel the need to pig out when I am back in civilization. I cook and dehydrate all of my meals and snacks for the trail, and I have been loving everything that I eat. BTW, that's with all meals being fully vegan.

Here's a sample daily menu:

Breakfast
Turmeric Tea (a sort of hot cocoa type of drink that tastes like ginger and cinnamon)
Spicy ginger brown rice pudding with raisins
Homemade trail bar (oatmeal based with molasses)

Morning Snack
Trail Bar
Spicy Cinnamon Ginger Applesauce Fruit Roll

Lunch
Roasted Red Pepper and Lime Hummus
Bagel Chips (store bought)

Afternoon Snack
Trail Bar
Cherry Fruit Roll

Dinner
Creamy Lime Sauce Pasta with Mushrooms
Soy-Ginger Tofu Jerky
Tempura Snapeas (a texture like cheese puffs)
Spicy Cinnamon Ginger Applesauce

Night Time Snack
Peanut Butter Caramel Tofu Jerky
Turmeric Tea

Everything is either ready to eat, or it is freezerbag cooked (by adding hot or cold water).

That sounds delicious.

Which dehydrator do you use? I'm thinking about purchasing one.

Damn Yankee
07-10-2015, 19:26
I have an easy way for you to become a vegetarian, two words....Food Inc. watch it, it will change your life

Vegan Packer
07-11-2015, 01:13
Which dehydrator do you use? I'm thinking about purchasing one.

Nesco FD-77DT
(http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/Dehydrators/FD-77DT-Digital-Top-Mounted-Dehydrator/)

I like that it has a timer built in.

rocketsocks
07-11-2015, 03:05
That really depends. my body often tells me what it is looking for via cravings. these have ranged from beer (carbs), salads, meat and ice cream. no standard.I love crabs too, could sit there all day and pick at some blue claws.

Dogwood
07-11-2015, 06:04
I always keep in mind NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS HEALTHY FEELS!

I've basically been a Pesce Vegetarian for 18 yrs. I'll rarely consume some organic lean turkey or chicken(4X/yr on the turkey, 8x/yr on the chicken and dairy(rarely some goat or sheep cheese, too much H&H in my coffee though!) though. Vegetables in abundance, and to a lesser extent fresh fruit, are on the menu everyday. I have my own organic garden and oversee two others growing a variety of fruits and vegetables. I adopted this diet not to save the planet but because I feel better physically, emotionally, and mentally with it compared to the way the typical U.S. citizen eats which is how I used to eat. This diet has evolved both on and off the trail. This diet really helps me control my blood sugar, wt, lean muscle mass, aids in assimilation and excellent metabolism AND HAS MADE ME ABUNDANTLY AWARE HOW ADDICTED TO FOOD AND CRAVINGS I HAD BEEN. I feel full longer with less cravings! Drinking fresh clean purified by Nature water also aids in being full. Watch out for those sugary drinks.

I've worked extensively tweaking my trail diet. I grow my own sprouts ON TRAIL and have added back into the food bag more fresh veggies and fresh fruit while cutting back sharply on the prepackaged highly processed sugary pricey outdoors foods I used to carry. My food, is real food, WHOLE FOOD for the most part, not food like products. As a result, I don't have anywhere near the pig out cravings I once did when getting off the trail AND that's with maintaining a severe UL food bag wt.

I suppose if I had to say I crave anything when I get off the trail it's a cozy quieter seat in a restaurant or coffee house overlooking the water or on a bench in a garden going over my trail journal, maps, pics, etc while sipping some coffee reiterating and firmly locking in how grateful, joyous, and at peace I am for the greater awareness the hike just provided!

BTW Vegan Packer, that is a GREAT suggestion - TURMERIC TEA. Turmeric has some great anti-inflammatory and cancer fighting properties. I grow fresh organic turmeric in Hawaii. At home I shred some into pure non chlorinated non treated water bringing to a light simmer, add some honey(get that from the garden in HI too), and a squeeze of lemon(get that from the same garden). Let cool and serve like iced tea. On trail I let fresh turmeric rhizome soak in water or use turmeric powder and make the tea. It's invigorating!

Dogwood
07-11-2015, 06:10
I have to ask. Vegan Packer - Peanut Butter Caramel Tofu Jerky? You have to share that recipe or where you are getting it.

Dogwood
07-11-2015, 06:14
Treat yo self.

Hey bay bee here's eyes am - A cashmere velvet candy cane. :)

Ryder
07-11-2015, 09:09
Treat yo self.

Hey bay bee here's eyes am - A cashmere velvet candy cane. :)

I just laughed so hard that I spit coffee all over my laptop!

FlyFishNut
07-11-2015, 10:17
Not sure where I'll end up - but last Monday I set a goal to target my food intake to be 80+% vegetable or plant based with little or no chicken/fish and no meat at least for a few months. I exceeded my goal and only had chicken once and mainly ate salads, peas, beans of all sorts and lots of shakes (Kale, coconut water, almond milk with various fruits) for breakfast or recovery after workouts.

I'm down 5+ lbs right off the bat and losing a few pounds is a goal, but only need to lose 5-8 more lbs to be at optimum weight. Mainly I want to rid myself of all the chemicals and processing and eat whole foods.

I thought I would feel tired or have cravings, but I haven't. My energy level has been good and my workouts good, so I'm going to keep going. I just need to find some more interesting veg recipes to keep it interesting.

Any insights about good recipe books or quick and easy snacks is appreciated.

Thinking about getting a dehydrator as well....

jurahd
07-11-2015, 10:23
Nice post. I'm on the trail third attempt and noted in the past how my body falls apart after a few months of ramen and pig out trail towns, trying for different approach but its hard finding and doing the good stuff. Thanks for your comments. Inspiring.

FlyFishNut
07-11-2015, 10:27
Nice post. I'm on the trail third attempt and noted in the past how my body falls apart after a few months of ramen and pig out trail towns, trying for different approach but its hard finding and doing the good stuff. Thanks for your comments. Inspiring.

Where are ya right now?? Good luck - keep us posted!

Damn Yankee
07-11-2015, 10:57
Nesco FD-77DT
(http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/Dehydrators/FD-77DT-Digital-Top-Mounted-Dehydrator/)

I use this one and its awesome Also filters intake air. Digital timer and thermostat. L'EQUIP® Filter Pro™ dehydrator

jimmyjam
07-11-2015, 11:22
I find I crave beer, coffee, chocolate milk, cheeseburgers and fresh vegetables.

Biggie Master
07-11-2015, 11:32
One of the things that always happens as I approach the end of a weekend or short section hike, is the thought of food -- real food. The past two outings I craved grilled salmon and asparagus. Don't know why, but it's what i needed. Often it's the standard cheeseburger, fries and milkshake.

Vegan Packer
07-11-2015, 11:38
BTW Vegan Packer, that is a GREAT suggestion - TURMERIC TEA. Turmeric has some great anti-inflammatory and cancer fighting properties.

Modified Sanjay Gupta Turmeric TeaDehydration Time: 15-18 hours
Makes 4 servings
4 cups Plain Almond Milk, Unsweetened
1 Cup Coconut Cream, Unsweetened
10 Teaspoons Cinnamon
2 Teaspoons Turmeric
3 Teaspoons Ginger
1/4 Cup Teaspoons Maple Sugar
2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 Cups Water (for rehydration on the trail)

AT HOME

Add all ingredients except water to a blender or Vitamix. Blend until all components have been thoroughly mixed together. Pour the mixture onto fruit roll dehydrator trays. A good idea is to pour one tray, briefly remix in the blender to avoid separation of the remaining mixture, and then proceed with pouring the next tray, and then continuing to remix the remainder between any additional pours.

Dehydrate at 135 F for 15 to 18 hours or until nearly completely dry and brittle. Remove the dried mixture from the trays. If it is too difficult to remove from the dehydrator trays, place in the freezer for about 20 minutes, which will make removal easier, and then remove the dried mixture.

After removal, grind into a fine powder using a food processor, Vitamix dry container, coffee grinder or spice grinder. If you find that the grinds are still moist or sticky, place back into the dehydrator for a few hours, and then repeat the grinding and checking until fully dried powder, which will wind up to be about the size of coffee grinds. Divide into four (1.3 ounce) portions, and place each portion in a separate freezer bag or your selected storage container.

AT CAMP

Prepare one cup of hot water per portion. Add heated water to freezer bag or your storage container. If using a freezer bag, vent excess air, seal the bag, and mix the contents by gently squeezing the bag where the liquid and solids meet. If in another storage container, stir or shake contents together. Add to a cozy for a few minutes to allow rehydration to complete. Mix or stir again before serving.

Dogwood
07-11-2015, 11:47
That's an awesome recipe. Printed that out. Cinnamon and ginger in there too. Dhanyavaad bahut(thank you very much - Hindi).

Find fresh turmeric much in Miami-Dade County? It's good stuff and easy to carry on hikes.

Vegan Packer
07-11-2015, 11:52
I have to ask. Vegan Packer - Peanut Butter Caramel Tofu Jerky? You have to share that recipe or where you are getting it.

Caramel Tofu Jerky
NOTE: THIS RECIPE IS NOT YET PERFECTED. I HAVE ONLY MADE A FEW BATCHES OF THIS. THEY TURNED OUT GREAT, BUT I STILL MIGHT MAKE A FEW TWEAKS TO THIS RECIPE. ONE BATCH THAT I MADE DID NOT INCLUDE REFRIGERATING THE TOFU WHILE MARINATING IN THE CARAMEL, AND IT TURNED OUT JUST AS WELL AS THE BATCH WHERE I DID PLACE THE MARINATING TOFU IN THE REFRIGERATOR. REFRIGERATION CAUSED THE COCONUT CREAM TO SEPARATE FROM THE CARAMEL MARINADE, WHICH PROMPTED ME TO TRY MAKING A BATCH WITHOUT REFRIGERATION. I WILL CONTINUE TO EXPERIMENT WITH LEAVING OUT THE REFRIGERATION.

Who says that Jerky always has to taste like overkilled spice slabs? This is a great alternative, with a sweet and savory taste that is great as Jerky while on the move, or as a dessert when you are at camp. It’s easy to make, and takes only a few ingredients.

Makes 48 pieces of Jerky

4 Boxes Extra Firm Tofu
4 Cans Coconut Milk
4 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
5 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt (to taste)

Remove Tofu from the box and drain water. Press the Tofu for 30 minutes to one hour, to remove excess water. If you don’t have a Tofu press, place several paper towels on a baking sheet, place the Tofu on the paper towels, place more paper towels over the Tofu, and then place another baking sheet on top of the paper towels. Take a heavy pot or saucepan, add water to it to create sufficient weight and then place the pot with water on top of the top baking sheet. After the paper towels have absorbed as much water as they can hold, replace them, and repeat this process a second time. Ultimately, you will have firm Tofu that will be dry enough to absorb the caramel marinade that you are about to make. While pressing the Tofu, start making the caramel sauce marinade.

Start by separating the cream from the water in the canned coconut milk. You can do this by two methods. The first method involves carefully spooning out the cream from the top of a can of coconut milk, leaving the water behind. An easier method, but one which requires planning and action ahead of time, is to place the canned coconut milk in the refrigerator for several hours--it is best to do this the day before making this recipe. This will solidify the cream at the top of the can, making it easier to scoop it out without accidentally taking up any of the water.

Add the coconut cream to a saucepan. Bring to a light, rolling boil. Ideally, you should use a candy thermometer to assure that the milk remains between 200F and 220F degrees. Whisk in the dark brown sugar.
Stirring frequently, bring back the ingredients to temperature. Be careful not to try to rush things by raising the temperature of your stove. If you do this, you will end up burning the caramel in the bottom of the saucepan rather than having a nice, thickened caramel sauce for your end result. Just take your time, and allow the temperature to gradually rise back to the desired zone. Once up to temperature, continue to stir frequently for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. The longer you allow the ingredients to cook, the thicker will be the end product.
Remove the saucepan from the stove, add the vanilla extract, and then whisk in the salt, a little at a time to your desired taste, carefully tasting the caramel without burning yourself as you add the salt to the mixture.
Allow to cool for about ten minutes, and then pour over the Tofu. Allow to cool until near room temperature, and then place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.

Remove the Tofu and marinade a few hours before you are ready to start dehydrating. This will allow the marinade to soften to the point where you can carefully remove the Tofu without it breaking. If you are constantly breaking the first few pieces, you can try briefly microwaving the Tofu in the marinade in order to soften the marinade enough to allow you to remove the Tofu without breaking the fingers.

Place the Tofu on dehydrator fruit roll trays. If you like, you can spoon on some of the caramel marinade over the Tofu fingers. Set the dehydrator to 130F for 145F for 6 to 12 hours. Roll the Tofu a few times during dehydration, assuring that each side is evenly done. If you like, you can spoon on a bit more of the marinade when you make the turns. Also, it is a good idea to switch trays with each other during the dehydration process, again allowing a more even dehydration among the pieces.

Place the Tofu into your desired storage container for the field.

Vegan Packer
07-11-2015, 12:00
I forgot to mention this in the Peanut Butter Caramel Tofu recipe: Slice the pressed Tofu into slabs (about 7 or 8 per pack) that are about a third of an inch thick. Take each slab and slice into thirds lengthwise, making each sliced slab turn into three Tofu fingers. You should wind up with about 21 to 24 Tofu fingers before adding the marinade.

Vegan Packer
07-11-2015, 12:01
Also, go with the 145F temperature on the dehydrator. Otherwise, it takes forever to dehydrate at a lower temperature.

Vegan Packer
07-11-2015, 12:04
Find fresh turmeric much in Miami-Dade County? It's good stuff and easy to carry on hikes.

I've never tried it. I don't even know where it is grown.

Ryder
07-12-2015, 08:29
Nesco FD-77DT

Thank you very much!! :)

Singto
07-12-2015, 11:08
"I became a vegetarian when I was 15. Probably because I read a book or something and thought I could save the planet." Yep, common misconception. The planet will do just fine through our exticntion and thrive long after we are gone. We're just a blip on the planet's timeline, something most people have difficulty reconciling.

Dogwood
07-12-2015, 13:19
No misconception though that individual and collective human behavior does make a difference in MANY aspects, including as it pertains to the ecosystem. If you don't accept that let me come by with a month's worth of my garbage to dump onto your doorstep. :p

Cobble
07-14-2015, 23:58
The most expensive looking food product in the hiker box.;)