PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between Grayson Highlands and Damascus?

Melmaff
07-07-2015, 07:31
I'm planning a 3 day hike from Grayson to damascus. I'm pretty familiar with the Grayson/Mt Rogers area, but I've ventured further south. Are there lots of spots to pitch a rent off the trail? I was hoping to spend night one somewhere around Elk Garden. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Melmaff
07-07-2015, 07:32
I'm planning a 3 day hike from Grayson to damascus. I'm pretty familiar with the Grayson/Mt Rogers area, but I've ventured further south. Are there lots of spots to pitch a rent off the trail? I was hoping to spend night one somewhere around Elk Garden. Thanks.

*correction: I've NEVER ventured further south :)

Tuckahoe
07-07-2015, 07:40
I found that in general there are a lot of camp sites along the trail between Grayson and Damascus. I think that you will find that there are also a couple spots around Elk Garden once you leave the pasture, cross the road and parking lot and continue heading south into the woods, though there is not water at Elk Garden, so I would make sure to secure water at Deep Gap.

Having said that though, I would suggest if you can make the couple extra miles beyond Elk Garden, go ahead and make the ascent to Whitetop. There are better camp sites and a great piped water source there.

bigcranky
07-07-2015, 09:14
Elk Garden - there are a couple of sites just inside the woods as you hike south.

Whitetop - when you climb up to the top, there are campsites in the woods and also a couple in the open near the parking area. Great spot, one of my favorites. There is an amazing spring right on the trail just south of the parking area. The climb up from Elk Garden is well graded.

Creek Junction - many well used spots along the creek under the Hassinger Bridge.

Straight Branch - when you climb down from Straight Mountain, the AT parallels the Creeper Trail for about a mile, and there are several fine campsite along this stretch. Look especially around each side of the bridges on the Creeper Trail. There is also a fine site where the AT detours down to the Creeper right before the Straight Branch parking area.

carouselambra
07-07-2015, 13:01
Elk Garden - there are a couple of sites just inside the woods as you hike south.

Whitetop - when you climb up to the top, there are campsites in the woods and also a couple in the open near the parking area. Great spot, one of my favorites. There is an amazing spring right on the trail just south of the parking area. The climb up from Elk Garden is well graded.

Creek Junction - many well used spots along the creek under the Hassinger Bridge.

Straight Branch - when you climb down from Straight Mountain, the AT parallels the Creeper Trail for about a mile, and there are several fine campsite along this stretch. Look especially around each side of the bridges on the Creeper Trail. There is also a fine site where the AT detours down to the Creeper right before the Straight Branch parking area.

Between Straight Branch and Damascus there are a few sites as well. I hiked that a couple of weeks ago. I don't recall there being water once you made the ascent past Straight Branch.

showtime_
12-31-2015, 19:36

Did Fox Creek to Damascus (42 miles i think) about two weeks ago. I camped just inside the woods at Elk Garden. Woke up to about 20 hunters and their dogs barking. The next morning when I got up to Whitetop, or the FS road anyways (not sure if whitetop is what i went over after the road), I realized how gorgeous it would have been to wake up at one of the tent sites south of the road! I didn't feel like climbing a few more miles in the dark though after 19 done that day.