PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about Catcher in the Rye?

Husko
11-20-2005, 22:04
I'm about half way through, and I can barely stand the thought of finishing it. Am I missing the whole point of the book? Seems to just be a very negative teenager that can't stand anything other than himself.

I've heard that the guy commits suicide. So far I can only guess it is his only option. That or continue living in the constant judgement of others.

He just got the wind knocked out of him by an elevator pimp lol. I kinda felt he deserved it simply because of karma.

The reason I started reading this book is because of all the controversy I've heard about it in the past.

Please give any thoughts, comments on this book and in the mean time I'll finish the book and look foreward to hearing your thoughts on this book! :banana

RITBlake
11-20-2005, 22:43
over-rated

stupe
11-20-2005, 23:29
I don't know what the point of the book was either, I just liked it because it was well written and entertained me. I thought the main character was lonely and alienated, and I identified with that (read it in high school, I'm no longer lonely, but still alienated).
Maybe it's just not for you, and that makes it unreadable. People praise Faulkner, but I just can't read him. I like to hear poets read their own work, but can't stand reading poetry. Stephen King is a great writer, but I can't stand to read him.

Just Jeff
11-20-2005, 23:36
I've only put down about 3 books without finishing them. Catcher in the Rye was one of them. My wife loves it, though.

Lone Wolf
11-21-2005, 08:49
John Lennon didn't like it.

Whistler
11-21-2005, 08:52
I think it's a fantastic book. Salinger does a good job with the dialogue and characterization like in his other books, and I think the narrator's voice is pretty authentic. It's clear, sharp, and catchy writing. Holden's perspective is so distorted and dramatic, it can be laugh-out-loud hilarious at times with all the exaggeration and character analysis [at least it was for me]. It's one of those classic 'coming-of-age' type books. Rejecting phonies, dealing with death and maturation, wanting to preserve his idealistic vision for the world, etc. I guess he's one of those unreliable narrators where you can't take his skeptic/too-cool cover too seriously [just enjoy it as biting social commentary], but the underlying motivations are indeed pretty mature and understandable.

Maybe it's just the phonies that don't get it:jumpI hope you'll report back and give your final take on the book.
-Mark

justusryans
11-21-2005, 09:13
It got on my nerves, it was one of those books you wanted to like, I just couldn't pull it off. It did not make my list of books I would recommend. Right up there with "Atlas Shrugged" Ann Rand. yuck, yuck :datz

squirrel bait
11-21-2005, 10:01
Stupe, try S King's short stories, "the body" or "rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption".

Jaybird
11-21-2005, 10:33
What do you guys think about Catcher in the Rye? -HUSKO

it's NO "Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion"

but, what is?:D

Mouse
11-21-2005, 11:05
Why the question? Are you planning on donating a copy to every shelter? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

bigmac_in
11-21-2005, 11:09
To me, the whole point of "Catcher" was to make people think hard about themselves. In the beginning, you think Holden is completely nuts, after a while you start wondering if he is making sense. It can really shake you up if you think about it too much. Personally, I liked the book, but you have to read ALL of it. However, I don't think it is the classic everyone makes it out to be.

Newb
11-21-2005, 11:20
If you want to read about an alienated, judgemental person and Laugh your ass off while doing it then pick up a copy of "A Confederacy of Dunces". You won't be able to put it down.

MOWGLI
11-21-2005, 11:26
You can read that book in a single evening if you like. It's a quick read. Life's too short to worry about stuff like this. If you're halfway through and don't like it, then move on.

For the record, I enjoyed it, but I read it with this nice lookin' babe- back in the day. That "babe" is now my wife. Worked for me.

Whistler
11-21-2005, 11:27
Ha! Didn't work for me. I shared it with a nice-looking babe I later broke up with.
-Mark

MOWGLI
11-21-2005, 11:51
We probably read a half dozen books together. One of 'em was Beloved by Toni Morrison. You wanna talk about a confusing book! I've never felt like such a dope in my life.

hikerjohnd
11-21-2005, 14:09
However, I don't think it is the classic everyone makes it out to be.

I definitely agree. A friend gave me a list of 100 books that someone should read to be considered "well educated." I figured what the heck and started reading the books (as a student, I want a good education...) but perhaps the "classics" have been retold in so many other forms, that the originals seem really boring, even predictable. Maybe as time moves on, we should reconsider what literary standards should be.

Tha Wookie
11-22-2005, 08:58
We probably read a half dozen books together. One of 'em was Beloved by Toni Morrison. You wanna talk about a confusing book! I've never felt like such a dope in my life.

That's a GREAT book.... I love Toni Morrison.... I met a hiker on the AT that is one of her good friends.... amazing woman

About Catcher in the Rye.... it is a classic, period. However, I related to it much more in high school. I think everyone can find some parallels with Holden in some period of their life. His character explores the emotions of finding one's way in a socially confusing and rough world.

SavageLlama
11-23-2005, 17:40
John Lennon didn't like it.

Ha! :D

Catcher is a great generational read.. one of the classic coming of age books, but I'm not sure the it's relevant today. Sort of like reading Jack Kerouac's "On the Road" ...just doesn't mean the same thing it did back in the day.

"If you want to know the truth, I don't know what I think about it....Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

Husko
11-30-2005, 20:14
My thoughts on this book. What a complete waste of time lol.:datz

Disney
11-30-2005, 20:55
The main character was a self indulgent whiner. He should spend a few weeks hiking rather than finding fault with everyone around him. I wouldn't want to be with the guy of course, but it's good for people like him. If they can make it past Neels Gap. If nothing else, listen to Sgt. Rock: No Sniveling.

mattydt20
12-02-2005, 19:13
It was the first book since childhood I read that wasn't assigned. I read it my junior of high school. I've been an avid reader ever since.