PDA

View Full Version : What is the best jerky?

Traveler
07-07-2015, 13:58
Curious if there is any consensus on what is considered the best jerky?

runt13
07-07-2015, 14:07
store bought? or Homemade?

ill go with store bought, since I wont waste any of my wild game on jerky.

I like the wild bills products, however its a bit pricey.

RUNT ''13''

ChrisJackson
07-07-2015, 14:17
I am usually a Jack Links kinda guy but recently discovered the "Publix" brand...and, it's GOOD! and CHEAPER!

(Oberto brand has a weird, sandy texture to me)

Namtrag
07-07-2015, 14:18
My wife's homemade is the best, but Krave is really good for store bought.

Dogwood
07-07-2015, 14:28
Primal Strips. Krave. Ahi, salmon, elk, buffalo, and venison.

http://www.snackmasters.com/products.htm

https://mountainamericajerky.com/shop/ahi-tuna-jerky/

I eat as a pricy store bought ready to go treat on occasion while on trail. Ahi jerky is much more common in Hawaii.

Tuckahoe
07-07-2015, 15:27
I never buy commercial, always homemade.

Just Bill
07-07-2015, 16:05
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/102586-The-greatest-jerky-on-the-planet

bemental
07-07-2015, 17:07
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/07/5bc067dba4cd32527657f4a891ac9521.jpg

Pie Guy
07-07-2015, 17:18
I'm no Jerky pro, but I like the Chomps.
http://www.gochomps.com

Namtrag
07-07-2015, 17:41
has anyone noticed that the price has gone up about $3.00 at the same time the bag has gone from 4.0 oz to 3 oz (or even less)?

rocketsocks
07-07-2015, 17:41
Couple minutes in the mouth, the enzymes start kickin' in, there all about the same.

bigcranky
07-07-2015, 18:09
I'm a fan of the Trader Joe's turkey and buffalo jerkies.

Sarcasm the elf
07-07-2015, 18:19
If you like spending money, Krave Jerky is amazing. Their Teriyaki pork is my favorite.

https://www.kravejerky.com/p/smoky-grilled-teriyaki-pork-gourmet-jerky

If i had room to store a dehydrator I would try making my own Venison jerky, but that won't happen anytime soon.

rocketsocks
07-07-2015, 19:55
If you like spending money, Krave Jerky is amazing. Their Teriyaki pork is my favorite.

https://www.kravejerky.com/p/smoky-grilled-teriyaki-pork-gourmet-jerky

If i had room to store a dehydrator I would try making my own Venison jerky, but that won't happen anytime soon.
Best jerky I ever had was made in the oven by a fella at work.

Venchka
07-07-2015, 20:40
KRAVE. Me too. With Cabot Alpine Cheddar.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

MuddyWaters
07-07-2015, 22:02
Curious if there is any consensus on what is considered the best jerky?

Bacon jerky is the best imo.

Theres a smokehouse a couple miles from me that makes great beef jerky, actually they had to quit calling it jerky due to moisture content i think, now they call it kippered beef or something. Its little sticks of prime meat, like meat shaped like french fries. They are proud of it too $$$. Its fricking awesome, you can eat half lb in the blink of an eye.

Bird Dawg
07-07-2015, 22:20
My own homemade venison jerky is my favorite. It just doesn't last long around our house before it's all gone!

Theosus
07-07-2015, 22:47
I like the "tender bites" stuff, they cut the meat across the grain instead of with it. Its not as tough and stringy. Put some of that on a bagel for lunch, and it's like you're eating a burger. I called them "foothills trail hamburgers" on my last trip.

Sarcasm the elf
07-07-2015, 22:52
My own homemade venison jerky is my favorite. It just doesn't last long around our house before it's all gone!

Sounds like all you need is more deer. :rolleyes:

Singto
07-08-2015, 01:46
I like almost any Jerky/cured meat product that isn't overly spicy. I'll even buy an old school Slim Jim once in a while. I've never heard of Krave before but from all the positive comments, it sounds like it's worthy of a try.

Traveler
07-08-2015, 06:48
Thanks for all the feed back!

I have only had some of the counter top jerky sold in convenience stores near trailheads that I have never found to be all that great. Agreed with Slingto, I've not run across Krave before and will try that, along with the source Bill posted.

Singto
07-08-2015, 09:30
Thanks for all the feed back!

I have only had some of the counter top jerky sold in convenience stores near trailheads that I have never found to be all that great. Agreed with Slingto, I've not run across Krave before and will try that, along with the source Bill posted.

Not sure about price as I'm new to this product...perhaps others can chime in on that...but here's what appears to be a good Krave sampler at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Krave-assorted-Sampler-packets-Jerky/dp/B00M14CISK/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1436362109&sr=1-1&keywords=krave+jerky

swisscross
07-08-2015, 09:48
All jerky appears to be way over priced but it takes a relatively long time to make compared to other food products.
Making it at home will save you some cash but not as much as I had wished when I started making it.
Although I don't save much money I still like making my own.

I liken it to brewing beer. You save a little money but it is just fun to do and experiment with different ingredients.

ExNihilo
07-08-2015, 10:02
Best I've had is my father's homemade dry rub jerky.
Lots of people throwing love around for Krave but I found it to be a glorified meat snack with extra spices. Most jerky's now aren't really jerky. Just good meat chews. Is jerky supposed to be soft and chewy? I'll generally get what is on sale but you can never go wrong with Wild Bill's- that is what real jerky tastes like. The texture is right, etc. I dunno, maybe we should HYOH when it comes to jerky. Eat Your Own Jerky?

Singto
07-08-2015, 11:42
Best I've had is my father's homemade dry rub jerky.
Lots of people throwing love around for Krave but I found it to be a glorified meat snack with extra spices. Most jerky's now aren't really jerky. Just good meat chews. Is jerky supposed to be soft and chewy? I'll generally get what is on sale but you can never go wrong with Wild Bill's- that is what real jerky tastes like. The texture is right, etc. I dunno, maybe we should HYOH when it comes to jerky. Eat Your Own Jerky?

I think you're right about what is real jerky and what is meat chews. I guess jerky is supposed to be more like the old west "hard tack"? For me, I generally like most of the dried/cured meat products but do find them relatively expensive for what they are. As long as they have good flavor, moist and good texture, I'm ok with them. I think Slim Jim might now be one of the lower quality of the major product lines but I grab one of those occasionally. I used to have a lot of my Antelope meat made into jerky and summer sausage type products, usually having some pork added for moisture content.

Bird Dawg
07-08-2015, 13:16
Sounds like all you need is more deer. :rolleyes:

Yep,...you got it!

appompa255
07-11-2015, 21:47
If you're going to be doing a lot of hiking, buy a food dehydrator and make your own! Way cheaper and you can make a wide variety of flavors.

time4change
08-02-2015, 19:52
Krave is the best I've found in a grocery store..if you ever have a chance to travel from LA to Las Vegas, try Alien Jerky, they have a small shop in the middle of the desert, that stuff is amazing!

Traveler
08-02-2015, 19:59
Krave is the best I've found in a grocery store..if you ever have a chance to travel from LA to Las Vegas, try Alien Jerky, they have a small shop in the middle of the desert, that stuff is amazing!

Is that shop in Baker by any chance?

Kaptainkriz
08-02-2015, 20:34
Alien Fresh....best jerky in the universe! Been there many times: http://alienfreshjerky.com

Is that shop in Baker by any chance?

Heliotrope
08-02-2015, 22:57
I like almost any Jerky/cured meat product that isn't overly spicy. I'll even buy an old school Slim Jim once in a while. I've never heard of Krave before but from all the positive comments, it sounds like it's worthy of a try.

Krave! Hands down. Chili lime is killer! My new food system includes brining one 3 oz package per day on the trail.

pickNgrin
08-05-2015, 12:35
I posted this recipe a while back. It is easy for anybody to make without a dehydrator. Good stuff!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/109085-jerky-recipe

daveiniowa
08-05-2015, 15:27
I am lucky I have a local grocery store that will make in bulk, usually about $15.00 per pound. You might want to ask your local grocery store if they can make it too. Then I got enough for the trail (The worst part of jerky is running out of it!) and it keeps a long time. I divide it up into sandwich bags and refrigerate between hikes. Th:)en just grab a bag and hit the trail!!

Gambit McCrae
08-05-2015, 16:25
I make my own - I get (3) A choice round butts and get butcher to slice them .25 inch. take them home and slide them jerky width. marinade overnight in dales steak sauce, cayenne to taste and spinkle with crush red pepper once on tray. 8 hours is to perfection let sit 8 hours out of containment. My network craves it

greenmtnboy
08-05-2015, 22:00
Too expensive for my tastes, as I like all natural, no preservatives, and affordable, very hard to find jerky that fits the bill. Jerky shouldn't be more than $20 a # unless you are using usda prime. Our commercial food system is really screwed up. Trader Joes has the mix right all the way; way ahead of Whole Foods and other health food places in general unless they have reasonable bulk food.

saltysack
08-06-2015, 10:08
Trader joes sells good jerky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heliotrope
08-06-2015, 22:28

Test drive some Krave before you take it on your next trip. The spicyness and flavor really packs a punch!

saltysack
08-06-2015, 23:40
Test drive some Krave before you take it on your next trip. The spicyness and flavor really packs a punch!

I'm going to target(krave) and trader joes to try both.....I like spicy...which krave flavor is best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaketheFake
08-07-2015, 00:53

What he said