PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Ebay ad for sleeping bag

glen.
07-07-2015, 21:49
I was trying to get some information on the Ozark Trail Cocoon down bag. I can not find any where that sells it right now. I know that Walmart did sell it but not now, so I went out to Ebay to see if I could scoop one up at a rock bottom price. I found two ads. They were probably from the same person. The cost? $314 but that includes shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ozark-Trail-32-F-degree-Down-Mummy-Sleeping-Bag-Zipper-RIGHT-/161756045126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a9695f46

I think some one is delusional.

Singto
07-08-2015, 01:35
I think that when people do this, they are intentionally trying to catch someone not paying close attention. Notice how the middle number is a "1" which the brain finds easy to skip over, especially when surrounded by fuller numbers that if the 1 wasn't there would be a more appropriate price. Auctions like this should be reported to Ebay.

Lyle
07-08-2015, 06:32
Sells for $79.97 on Walmart.com (not currently available). The description on Ebay is taken almost word for word from the Walmart description. This type of seller gives everyone on Ebay a black eye.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-32-Degree-Adult-Sleeping-Bag-Peacock-Blue-Black/22008955

4shot
07-08-2015, 08:58
eBay has become useless. When it first started, I think it worked as intended - an online flea market or garage sale. Now, almost everything listed can be bought cheaper with just a little bit of searching. Plus, you have rip off artists like the guy. Or the ones who list something at a reasonable price but then add a ridiculous shipping charge. i almost never go on that website anymore.

Singto
07-08-2015, 09:25
Sorry, I have to disagree about the "useless" comment. I buy plenty of items at a greatly reduced price compared to what I find elsewhere and believe me, I do heavy research on all but the least expensive items that I buy. Men's new Paradox Merino Blend base layer pants for $8.43 delivered to my house. $19.99 + $4.99 shipping on Amazon. Everywhere else I looked wasn't even close either. I have found many items such as this on Ebay but I do also find ridiculous prices and the scammers too. I think users should take the time to report such people, otherwise they are left to operate with impunity. I've written many messages to people who list something obviously too cheap and then try to bury shipping costs. I also report them to Ebay as I don't put up with such peoples' BS.

kythruhiker
07-08-2015, 10:06
I believe I understand the pricing now, after sending the ebay seller a question and receiving clarification:

Dear bmfdealz,

Is this bag lined with gold? It retails for $80 bucks.

- 3forkstech

Dear 3forkstech,

Yes it is lined with gold mummy shavings from ancient Egypt.
Hope this helps!

- bmfdealz

I was trying to get some information on the Ozark Trail Cocoon down bag. I can not find any where that sells it right now. I know that Walmart did sell it but not now, so I went out to Ebay to see if I could scoop one up at a rock bottom price. I found two ads. They were probably from the same person. The cost? $314 but that includes shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ozark-Trail-32-F-degree-Down-Mummy-Sleeping-Bag-Zipper-RIGHT-/161756045126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a9695f46

I think some one is delusional.

Bird Dawg
07-08-2015, 13:23
You'll probably see these reappear on the Wal-Mart site as we get closer to fall. The original model was the 200 and they upgraded that to the 250. Both retailed for around $79 bucks. For the money they weren't too bad - but not equipment I would expect to survive an AT thru hike, for example. I bought one and the outer fabric ripped fairly quickly. I intend to repair it and convert it to a "blanket-style" top quilt using some down I harvested from a thrift store down jacket.

Sarcasm the elf
07-08-2015, 13:55
I believe I understand the pricing now, after sending the ebay seller a question and receiving clarification:

Dear bmfdealz,

- 3forkstech

Dear 3forkstech,

Hope this helps!

- bmfdealz

Please tell me you're making joke.

Coffee
07-08-2015, 13:57
The seller is unethical and disgraceful but I also have trouble feeling sorry for consumers who would fall for it.

kythruhiker
07-08-2015, 14:04
Please tell me you're making joke.

I would think, based on your username, you could detect sarcasm :P

Dochartaigh
07-08-2015, 15:15
Just an FYI, I would never, ever, buy one of these bags online. I spent quite a while looking for them at 4 or 5 local Walmarts. Every single bag, once held up to the overhead lights, you could see they were nearly devoid of down fill. Pretty much totally transparent (even at the ends of the down chambers where you might think the down settled in, there was barely any down insulation). I know the guys on HammockForums love to modify them for a cheap quilt, but I think the new (i.e. 1+ years ago) version is complete garbage.

The Cleaner
07-08-2015, 17:00
I'll have to agree with Dochartaigh, no way that bag would keep you warm in cold weather.Kelty makes some sleeping bags much warmer but still not too costly.

atraildreamer
07-08-2015, 18:18
eBay has become useless. When it first started, I think it worked as intended - an online flea market or garage sale. Now, almost everything listed can be bought cheaper with just a little bit of searching. Plus, you have rip off artists like the guy. Or the ones who list something at a reasonable price but then add a ridiculous shipping charge. i almost never go on that website anymore.

I use EBay all the time for both new and used items. I have never had a problem with the sellers. The prices are very good on most items and are often a LOT less than you would pay in a traditional brick & mortar store. Don't just buy the first listing that pops up after a search. Go to the bottom of the search page and go through several pages of the the listings for that item. Often you will find a better price, with free shipping, as you expand your search.

The adage: "Let the buyer beware!" still applies. The low-ball price with the ridiculously high shipping charges are to be avoided. Ditto on the overpriced stuff.

A lot of the stuff for sale is new stock offered by resellers who get it from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and other Asian locales. I have also bought a lot of items direct from Chinese sellers. You may have to wait a couple of weeks, but the low prices make the wait worthwhile, and they always include a nice note thanking you for the sale! :)

Sarcasm the elf
07-08-2015, 19:24
I would think, based on your username, you could detect sarcasm :P

I often can, but sadly I wouldn't have put it past the seller to send you that response.

rocketsocks
07-08-2015, 19:28

Dear bmfdealz,

- 3forkstech

Dear 3forkstech,

Hope this helps!

- bmfdealz
that's actually pretty funny. :D

Lyle
07-08-2015, 23:41
deleted....

BillyGr
07-09-2015, 15:47
Hey, if someone is silly enough (or doesn't want to do a quick search) to pay that price, they have only themselves to blame for it.

Really not any different than two stores offering the same thing at different prices.

Bronk
07-10-2015, 10:17
I've seen some antique dealers list the same item 2 or 3 different times at different price points...example being one listing for $29.99, one for 59.99 and one for 129.99. I'm not sure what their game or strategy is...perhaps this is so you think you're getting a great deal if you see the 129.99 listing and buy it for 29.99. Or maybe they are hoping someone won't see the cheaper listings and be dumb enough to pay the higher price. I don't know. I found that if I post pictures that are sideways or upside down my auctions sell for about 30% more...but I think that is because the unusual position of the photo attracts more attention to the listing.

Bronk
07-10-2015, 10:44
I've seen some antique dealers list the same item 2 or 3 different times at different price points...example being one listing for $29.99, one for 59.99 and one for 129.99. I'm not sure what their game or strategy is...perhaps this is so you think you're getting a great deal if you see the 129.99 listing and buy it for 29.99. Or maybe they are hoping someone won't see the cheaper listings and be dumb enough to pay the higher price. I don't know. I found that if I post pictures that are sideways or upside down my auctions sell for about 30% more...but I think that is because the unusual position of the photo attracts more attention to the listing.

4shot
07-10-2015, 11:02
I've seen some antique dealers list the same item 2 or 3 different times at different price points...example being one listing for $29.99, one for 59.99 and one for 129.99. I'm not sure what their game or strategy is...perhaps this is so you think you're getting a great deal if you see the 129.99 listing and buy it for 29.99. Or maybe they are hoping someone won't see the cheaper listings and be dumb enough to pay the higher price. I don't know.

People are stupid and ebay exploits that.Check out the placebo effect and its influence on pricing. Some people will pay the higher price and assume they are getting a "better" item...even for the exact same thing. sure, there still may be deals on that website, but I don't like panning for gold when I am looking to buy a pair of socks or boots or sleeping bag.

Walkintom
07-10-2015, 11:31
The problem with Ebay is that too many people have found that there is no consequence, only reward, for unethical behavior.

It's just like a bank. Or an oil company. Or a power company. Or politics.

Wait, that's how the world works, even though I don't like it.

Bronk
07-10-2015, 12:00
JC Penny found that out too. Their business model was to start their merchandise out ridiculously overpriced and then offer huge discounts of 50% to 80% off. They tried changing this to "everyday low prices." People complained. They wanted not only the discounts, but they wanted to be able to tell their friends that they bought a $200 jacket when they really only paid $50 for it. Their marketing studies even said people would rather pay $50 for something on sale than have a $40 "everyday low price." In short, people are just plain stupid.

atraildreamer
07-12-2015, 13:19
The problem with Ebay is that too many people have found that there is no consequence, only reward, for unethical behavior. ...

Always check out the seller's rating. Set up a PayPal account. If the seller is trying to cheat you, PayPal has an excellent refund policy.