PDA

View Full Version : Questions about SOBO

stargate
11-20-2005, 23:50
:sun Hello again,
I need some answers about SOBO. We had been planning to NOBO but have had to cut down our Thur-hike to a section hike for the moment. The months that we are going to be able to hike are June, July, and part of August. I know that the southern states will be very hot at this time. So we are thinking of doing a SOBO for those months.

I have read that going SOBO that we will do a lot of the most difficult part first instead of last. So I need to know if this is a good ideal or not. It will be myself and three children ranging from 10 to 15.

Also I need to know if we would care the same amount of equipment for SOBO that we would going NOBO.
When do most SOBO start out.
Will the water be more of an issue than NOBO.

Any and all advice would be great I would like to know the up and downs of going SOBO during those months.

I know that NOBO we would not need to worry about bears for that period of time on the trail are bears a worry during that period of time for SOBO.

As I said we were planning on a NOBO but that isn't going to workout at this time due to the heat in the South in June, July, and August. I haven't done a lot of research on SOBO because until lately it wasn't planned.

Please Help :confused:

Askus3
11-21-2005, 05:34
You are taking a 10 year old on a section hike of several months on the AT????????? Hiking day in and day out. I am sorry but I am not even attempting to address any further questions. One 50 mile week maybe but that is about max under optimum conditions. The 15 year old you might get to do what you are considering, but it sounds like a death march to me.

stargate
11-21-2005, 06:27
Sorry to hear that you have a problem with the ability of children since so many have done complete Thru-hikes.
We have done many backpacking trips just not the AT.
We will be there to enjoy the hike not push until we can no longer enjoy what we like to do.
Now is anyone out there that can answer any of the questions that I have asked.

Pringles
11-21-2005, 07:54
If you're worried that starting in Maine might be too rough, you could start in Harper's Ferry, or Delaware Water Gap, or any of a number of places, and strengthen and gain confidence as you go.

Beth

rickb
11-21-2005, 09:50
I have read that going SOBO that we will do a lot of the most difficult part first instead of last.

I think many would agree that the most difficult part of doing a large chunk of the AT is not so much the challenges of a particular day or week or month, but rather maintaining your efforts and enthusiasm for a long period.

Overall, I don't see going SOBO as being more difficult than going NOBO.

That said, as a southbounder its more important that you have realistic expectations as to how many miles you can walk, and its more important that you have selected workable and light-weight gear from day one. You don't have the early bailout points and hostel choices that a northbounder has, and you wont find an gear outfitter a few days down the trail.

Hiking with a group is inherently more difficult than hiking by yourself. I am glad you and your kids have experience. Have you ever hiked together maintaining a pace of 12 or more miles per day over a week or more? Because you will be doing just that right from the start as a SOBO.

A southbounder has to be prepared not to get discouraged by swarms of bugs.

On the plus side, one of the really wonderfully things about going SOBO is that you have the potential to build your confidence quickly. Getting to Monson will feel like a real achievement, and once you make it through the Whites, you will be really be a seasoned hiking troop.

Water wont be an issue-- drinking water anyway. You might want to read some of the SOBO journals to gauge whether or not you would be comfortable crossing some of the streams between Baxter and Monson with your younger children. Personally they were insignificant on my hike, but I started much later than you plan on. Something you can learn about if you want. I know that I would want to do so were I planning your hike.

You will be very lucky to see a bear before you get to NJ. Not sure if there are fewer in Maine and NH, but they are most definitely more shy. I would be much more "worried" about how your kids will react to swarms of bugs, and whether or not a blister the sized of a half dollar on one of the kids is something to be expected and walked through, or something more. Experience on shorter hikes has probably answered that question for you already. Just keep[ in mind that you won't have the option to "set your own pace" as easily as a SOBO as if you were going north.

The views and lakes and moose and birds you will see right off the back can compensate for a lot, though. Depending on the person, of course.

Shutterbug
11-21-2005, 13:42
A ten year-old, "Oblivious" hiked the entire At this year with his parents. He did fine.

The hard part about being a SoBo is that you start with Mt. katahdin before you are really in trail condition. Most people don't carry their full pack up Katahdin, but it is still a challenge.

Once you have climbed Mt. Katahdin, you enter the 100 mile wilderness. Your choices are three:
1. Carry 10 days of food, which means that you have a heavy pack.
2. Stop at White House Landing to resupply. Most of the trail books ignore White House Landing, but they shouldn't. White House Landing has a reasonable stock of food and supplies. Their prices aren't competitive with WalMart, but then WalMart isn't in the middle of the 100 mile Wilderness.
3. Arrange for someone to meet you with resupply at JoMary Road or one of the other logging roads that cross the AT in the Wilderness.

The only other issue that you should consider is bugs. June and July are terrible months for bugs in Maine. The black flies are enough of a problem that I avoid hiking in Maine before the end of August. The black flies tend to show up about the middle of June and last to the middle of August. If you schedule requires that you hike in June or July, be sure to take "head net" and be sure that the mesh on the screen of your tent is small enough to stop the "no seeums." For repellant, use 100% deat, but don't depend solely on repellant.

On the positive side, Maine and New Hampshire are beautiful scenery. I fly all the way from Washington state to hike that part of the trail.

My pictures from this year's seciton hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness are:

http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html

Included in the album are pictures of Oblivious, the 10 year old.

Shutterbug

Shutterbug
11-21-2005, 13:46
Here is a picture of Oblivious, the 10 year old who completed the AT this year. He was eating the 1lb hamburger at Whitehouse Landing. He ate teh whole thing.

http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/dscn0440.html

The Solemates
11-21-2005, 15:00
:sun Hello again,
I need some answers about SOBO. We had been planning to NOBO but have had to cut down our Thur-hike to a section hike for the moment. The months that we are going to be able to hike are June, July, and part of August. I know that the southern states will be very hot at this time. So we are thinking of doing a SOBO for those months.

I have read that going SOBO that we will do a lot of the most difficult part first instead of last. So I need to know if this is a good ideal or not. It will be myself and three children ranging from 10 to 15.

Also I need to know if we would care the same amount of equipment for SOBO that we would going NOBO.
When do most SOBO start out.
Will the water be more of an issue than NOBO.

Any and all advice would be great I would like to know the up and downs of going SOBO during those months.

I know that NOBO we would not need to worry about bears for that period of time on the trail are bears a worry during that period of time for SOBO.

As I said we were planning on a NOBO but that isn't going to workout at this time due to the heat in the South in June, July, and August. I haven't done a lot of research on SOBO because until lately it wasn't planned.

Please Help :confused:

if youd like to talk in person about a thru-hike, and the planning involved, even a critique of your gear, etc, my wife and i would be glad to help. we live in memphis. email us.