PDA

View Full Version : Change of plans.....Woody gap to deep gap...

saltysack
07-08-2015, 19:50
Was planning on davenport gap to hot springs with my son but just realized he has surf camp next week.......I'm still going but would rather put in more miles to get ready for my sept 14 day jmt thru..looks like it's 65+\~ miles...3.5 days is the goal...anyone due this section recently?

Temperature? Water? Sobo or nobo? shuttle recs? Thx again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisJackson
07-08-2015, 20:14
Water is not a concern. There is one short section near Sassafrass Mtn where it's a little dry but there are usually jugs of water at the gap, although I've never taken any. I don't have my maps with me...just cruising through that section is no problem...

Temps may get down to 60 or so.

Edit: you'll be north of that section, never mind. Water is 0 problem.
http://joomla.georgia-atclub.org/publications/GA-AT-Profiles.pdf

saltysack
07-08-2015, 21:13
Water is not a concern. There is one short section near Sassafrass Mtn where it's a little dry but there are usually jugs of water at the gap, although I've never taken any. I don't have my maps with me...just cruising through that section is no problem...

Temps may get down to 60 or so.

Edit: you'll be north of that section, never mind. Water is 0 problem.
http://joomla.georgia-atclub.org/publications/GA-AT-Profiles.pdf

Thx....

daddytwosticks
07-09-2015, 07:15
Isn't Sassafrass Mtn SOUTH of Woody Gap? :)

saltysack
07-09-2015, 08:46
Yep...

ChrisJackson
07-09-2015, 08:53
Isn't Sassafrass Mtn SOUTH of Woody Gap? :) Yep, sometimes it all blurs together :confused: :)

saltysack
07-09-2015, 10:00
Sure does....sobo vs nobo for this section? Thinking Woody might be safer parking than deep gap?

ChrisJackson
07-09-2015, 10:41
Can't think of an overwhelming reason for one versus the other...

If you're coming from Florida, I'd just park at Woody Gap to make your drive shorter. Have never had a problem at Woody. Never parked at Deep Gap but actually will be there this Sunday (Standing Indian Loop). I'm sure parking at Deep Gap is A-OK as it is so well used.

I guess one thing about SOBO though would be a possible resupply at Mountain Crossings...that'd lighten the load a little...

saltysack
07-09-2015, 11:19
Thx...I always park down at the backcountry kiosk for the SI loop.....done that hike many times.....love the logistics of a loop...no $100 shuttle!