PDA

View Full Version : Tent + Tarp Camping Questions

2009ThruHiker
11-21-2005, 09:35
This in response to my own post about 100% tent camping after reading everyone's replies. I'm also looking to see if anyone has tried this out... it seems a good way to %100 tent camp would be to have a tarp along, set this up first, then pitch the tent. Does this mean you can do away with the rain fly? Will the tarp serve as a suitable vestibule for gear? What has been your overall experience using this method of camping?

Lone Wolf
11-21-2005, 09:38
You don't need both. Impractical.

Jaybird
11-21-2005, 09:59
didnt see original posts.....BUT,

i'm a TENT fan myself....sub-3lb, single wall, no fly needed...:D

keep your tarps!

Whistler
11-21-2005, 10:18
That's just more weight, more stakes, more guylines, and more hassle.

A tent that will only stay dry if it's sunny when you're setting up isn't worthy buying. I'd recommend something that will go up quickly without the hassle of a separate fly, like any siltarp, a Tarptent, a Six Moon Designs Europa or Lunar, Black Diamond Lighthouse or Firstlight, MSR Missing Link, Eureka EXO models, etc.

I'd strongly recommend trying out just a tarp and seeing if you think you'll like it or not. If you don't, then return the tarp and move up to a 2-3lb shelter.
-Mark

fiddlehead
11-21-2005, 12:08
I've seen people hike with a large rain fly and a mosquito net tent. That worked for them. I just batten the tarp down tight when there's lots of mosquitos and kill the ones still inside. It works for me. What else do you need 2 tents for?

Footslogger
11-21-2005, 12:11
This in response to my own post about 100% tent camping after reading everyone's replies. I'm also looking to see if anyone has tried this out... it seems a good way to %100 tent camp would be to have a tarp along, set this up first, then pitch the tent. Does this mean you can do away with the rain fly? Will the tarp serve as a suitable vestibule for gear? What has been your overall experience using this method of camping?
=======================================

Closest I came to that during my thru in 2003 was in the Shennandoas, when I carried a tarp and the OR Bug Bivy. The total combined weight of the two was about 27 ounces so there really wasn't any penalty.

'Slogger

Ramble~On
11-21-2005, 13:43
2008 that is pretty much what I said in reply to your post about 100% tenting.

I used to carry only a tent...after one too many rain storms I started carrying both. I carry the tarp in an outside easily accessible pocket on my packet. When I stop for the day if it is raining and I'm not at a shelter the first thing I put up is the tarp...then I setup under it..
The added dry space a tarp provides makes the 1 pound "weight" worth every ounce to me.
I put up the tarp and set the tent up under it and rarely get my tent wet...which means I don't have to pack or carry a wet tent.
As for the carrying the rain fly... I was using a single wall tarp tent...I haven't used a tent with fly for sometime put would I still carry the fly...YES. Why ? Flexibility....of whether to camp out on a bald and not deal with the tarp or any combination. The tarp adds room under which to move around and spread out my stuff without being confined to the inside of the tent during summer (or winter) downpours.

Some people might feel that carrying both a 1 pound tarp and a complete tent with fly is too much weight and hassle... Good for them. They don't have to carry all that extra "WEIGHT" or deal with the "hassle" and carry whatever they wish.

I like to be comfortable and this tarp and tent combo worked for me.
I haven't used a tent in a long time...I use a hammock now and I still use the same 10x12 tarp....the hammock goes under it with a ton of room to spare. The added ?? two pounds total for the tarp and cord is weight that I don't notice.
When I get up in the morning and it's pouring rain..I enjoy being able to spread my stuff around and pack everything up, put my rain gear on, take the tarp down and shake it dry and hike off with a pack full of dry gear.

2009ThruHiker
11-21-2005, 13:47
You don't need both. Impractical.

The reason from the previous post may make it seem more practical ... setting up camp in a driving rain because of the goal to tent camp as much as possible. Sorry, hope that helps with understanding the original post.

2009ThruHiker
11-21-2005, 13:50
SpiritWind... thanks for the added info... that's what I'm looking for. Much appreciated.

Sardine
11-21-2005, 14:19
I'm a tarp and hammock kinda guy myself . . .

Bjorkin
11-21-2005, 15:54
i think everyone should have at least have a seperate tarp for the reasons posted and more. what u do underneath that tarp is up to you.

tlbj6142
11-21-2005, 17:50
Honestly it seems like quite a bit of overkill. Why not just take a large generic flat tarp (10x12') or even one of those brandname tarps (MSR Wing?, etc.) and a fully included bug tent (like the MSR Insert?) or even dual A16. Or a combo setup like the MSR Trekker Tarp.

This gives you the "tarp" (large area to do stuff under) as well as a place to sleep (bug hut). Plus the bug huts can easily be rigged to be used in a shelter (in case you go that route).

Adding more stuff just makes things more complicated than they need to be. I've done the same things dozens of times. You are way over thinking the whole process. Do several 2-3 day weekend hikes and you'll answer 90% of your questions. As far as gear is concerned an AT thru-hike is just a bunch of 3-4 day trips done consecutively. Mentally, its not. But your gear doesn't have a brain.

general
11-21-2005, 20:42
I briefly used a tarp pitched over a tent, and here's the reason. somewhere around cold springs shelter in NC in 2000, my brand new North Face tent started leaking. Not leakin at any seam or something simple like that, but straight through the fly material. I proceded to treat that piece of junk with every waterproof junk on the market. Still leaked, and not just a little bit. Called North Face, no help, so I ditched the fly and bought a 9oz 5X9 sil tarp to pitch over the tent. Well after sleeping in that thing for a while the tent seemed a little reduntant. Been using a tarp or some version ever since. A well pitched tarp is almost impossible to get wet in. If you want something a little more foolproof look at the "betamid" or if you really want to go lite I can send you some pics and dimensions of a shaped tarp that I have developed and use on a regular basis. I also have them for sale but that's not the important part, but you can buy it for $160 and it weighs less than a pound. If you buy a mass produced shelter, be careful. As companies are bought by others sometimes customer service suffers.

Brock
11-22-2005, 11:42
I'm a huge fan of hammocks.
They are extremely comfortable.
You get the benefits of a tarp with the comfort of being off the ground.
My Hennesy Hammock rolls up into a "snake skin" so the hammock itself NEVER gets wet when putting up or taking down.