PDA

View Full Version : Drones on the AT?

thecyclops
07-10-2015, 21:34
What are your feelings on drones on the AT? Now and in the future?

It is not too much of an issue now I suppose,but I could really see in the next 5-10 years,as drones/technology become cheaper,that its not going to be uncommon to see them and hear them.

Half the point for me when hiking,even if day hiking,is to get away from it all,get "out in the woods" (I don't even own a phone,much less carry one with me hiking) so this would be a total nightmare for me,like people pushing technology on me. I can only imagine the anger,and disappointment that will set in the day Im watching the sunset,all alone on some ridge in Gods country...when I hear and see a drone piloted by a 14 year old with braces, from his Iphone in the next town o.O

AegisIII
07-10-2015, 21:56
I saw around two dozen drones on the PA Mid State Trail a couple of months ago. Though, I should note that this is because Penn State does research on them, and these were of the small plane/gilder type rather than the quadcopter ones.

MuddyWaters
07-10-2015, 21:58
Already banned, so you wont be seeing them on AT or any other national park.

Unfortunately many of the type people that buy these things, disregard rules. Yosemite still has issues even though its been publicized they are forbidden.

atj_Hiker
07-10-2015, 22:27
One of the biggest reasons I hike is to disconnect from technology. I'm constantly trying to keep up with emails and texts all day long with my job. I need to go where cell phone coverage is bad. With that being said, I'm not going to let a drone ruin my day. It wouldn't take long to get away from it. I'm glad they're not allowed in national parks.

rocketsocks
07-11-2015, 03:15
One word...

damn that's a big ass fly swatter, whatta ya gonna kill with that?

rocketsocks
07-11-2015, 03:19
Seriously though if drones became common place, I think I'd start carrying a Boomarang, and in a pinch I test fly a stick.

Old Hillwalker
07-11-2015, 06:05
Heh heh, Motorized Skeet Shooting.

Tuckahoe
07-11-2015, 06:22
As with so many other "issues", some folks really need to learn to stop worrying about how someone else occupies or enjoys their trail time, and concern themselves with their own.

Traveler
07-11-2015, 06:35
As with so many other "issues", some folks really need to learn to stop worrying about how someone else occupies or enjoys their trail time, and concern themselves with their own.

Not sure people should stop discussion of various things that impact or are about the AT. Isn't that kind of the point of this medium?

Starchild
07-11-2015, 06:56
What are your feelings on drones on the AT? Now and in the future?

It is not too much of an issue now I suppose,but I could really see in the next 5-10 years,as drones/technology become cheaper,that its not going to be uncommon to see them and hear them.

Half the point for me when hiking,even if day hiking,is to get away from it all,get "out in the woods" (I don't even own a phone,much less carry one with me hiking) so this would be a total nightmare for me,like people pushing technology on me. I can only imagine the anger,and disappointment that will set in the day Im watching the sunset,all alone on some ridge in Gods country...when I hear and see a drone piloted by a 14 year old with braces, from his Iphone in the next town o.O

Thank you for expressing your sentiments on this, it's a viewpoint I recently discovered that some people need such places to connect. With that said I come to the wilderness to also connect, but differently, it is the combination of self, nature, society and technology blending in harmony. I do beleive Mother Nature welcomes her children and desires them to bring their toys, as it is how we are evolving. I would love the situation you describe seeing a child play with his/her drone at sunset overlooking a town, that would be such a precious moment.

With that said I do try to be respectful to those who need the other type of connection, to both of us it is sacred space. In that I do try to sense the area and 'energy', what is it telling me, is this the place for use of such things, or is this a place or time to be left quite. With that said I also realize that your 'world' is shrinking, but it is also really just everyone's world that you had more exclusive use of, that is quickly changing not just due to technology, but more people are accessing the backcountry - it is equally theirs as well.

And btw there are 'selfie' drones, ones that follow you (you wear a tracker) to take picts and videos that are cheap(er), self piloting and by necessity light weight so I would expect to start seeing more..

Traveler
07-11-2015, 07:20
And btw there are 'selfie' drones, ones that follow you (you wear a tracker) to take picts and videos that are cheap(er), self piloting and by necessity light weight so I would expect to start seeing more..

And those would still be illegal in National Parks and most of the AT. Akin to mountain bikes on the AT.

moytoy
07-11-2015, 08:23
At some point drones will be licensed, even hobby drones. So the illegal use of them (in National Parks for instance) would be an FAA issue. I don't care much for rules and laws for the sake of rules and laws but if it's in the interest and safety of public space it's necessary. A flyswatter for drones is called a "jammer" and they are "illegal" in the US. :)

Zach ADK
07-11-2015, 08:43
Mostly what I hear about from people who have had drones is that they crash them almost immediately. I doubt that a drone would survive long on the AT with all of the trees in the way and the apparently very low skills of the majority of drone pilots. Self piloting drones might work better, but I would not think they would be all that reliable either.
Zach

Traveler
07-11-2015, 08:57
Drones and radio controlled (RC) aircraft are different species. RC aircraft are not capable of sustained flight and require line of sight for controls to work. Drones are capable of sustained flight and can be operated out of sight of the "pilot". There is talk of having drone operators be licensed pilots due to the many FAA flight regulations. There are other issues as well, including the mandatory lighting systems, collision avoidance technology (transponders), flight plans when operating above 1,000', and perhaps special "airways" that mimic aircraft airways that have a dedicated path and altitudes for drones using them. Commercial drones are very reliable and capable, as made evident by their continued use in remote areas by the military.

RC aircraft, which is what we see most of are different. These can be highly unreliable depending on what the user purchases or builds. The FAA already has rules of operation in place for these things, they cannot fly more than 300' above ground level or be operated inside controlled airspace. However, these limits are frequently ignored with the introduction of these things into the marketplace. It is difficult to find and fine owners for violations, so a system of registration will be needed soon that will allow the NTSB to track down the owner when the accident brings down aircraft, which is not too far away given how I have seen them used.

The NPS can regulate them as they do autos and other things people may want to bring into the park. Given the spectacular juvenile stupidity of the men who dropped one of these things in the pristine hot springs of Yellowstone for everyone to see from now on, I support the ban including along the AT.