PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Damascus

Ravendog
11-21-2005, 10:29
I am planning a trip that will terminate in Damascus because I have relatives in the area (i.e. bum a ride). I plan on flying into the Tri-Cities Airport, and then start somewhere south. I plan on flying in on a Saturday, and hope to be on the trail later in the day. I would like to end up in Damascus around noon. Assuming not much trail time on either Saturday leaves 6 days full hiking. Questions:

1. Is US Hwy 19 E Elk Park a good place to start?
2. Is 74 miles good for this time frame? I'm in pretty good shape, so I don't want a lesurely walk unless....
3. Is this a good stretch for fly fishing?
4. Are rides to the starting point hard to come by even if paying?
5. Is this a decent stretch of trail, and are there times of year that you would avoid?

Thanks for the help, and I'm glad I found this website. I just got back into backpacking after a twenty year layoff. I'm not sure why I left or even why the bug has hit again. Since I was in Boy Scouts, I have dreamed of walking the entire trail. Someday. In the meantime, I'll have to do week trips.

neo
11-21-2005, 10:33
i did hyw 19e to damascus in early dec 2001,this time of the year is fine
i did it in 4 days easily parked in damascus and was shuttled to 19e by
mount rogers outfitters,i want to do that section again,:cool: neo

Ravendog
11-21-2005, 10:36
So maybe I could do this stretch and if I make better time, then just head up to Mt. Rogers to end on a high note!

anneandbenhike
11-21-2005, 18:57
When are you coming into Tri? We live 20 minutes from the airport and depending when you plan to hike, could shuttle you to wherever. I think there is better fishing out of Damascus on the Whitetop Laurel Creek. There is another thread on the 19E--North route. PM us if you know when you are coming here.

Ravendog
11-21-2005, 19:47
I'm going to try to fish some on the Whitetop Laurel after I finish. Hope I'm not too nuts taking a flyrod, but the one I have my eyes on breaks down into 4 pieces, and can't weigh more than a pound or two including reel and tackle. I really appreciate the offer. What hospitality! :clap