PDA

View Full Version : Gear Talk: We're talking hiking pants!! What's your favorite/what's the best brand?

BenOnAdventures
07-11-2015, 01:19
Hello adventurers, I've been doing some research and having difficulties deciding on what hiking pants to get. What are your favorite hiking pants or favorite brand of hiking pants? Let's talk!!

Drybones
07-11-2015, 08:52
I've tried 4 or 5 different pants and have not found any better than the older TNF, it's a little heavier than some but drys fast than most. The worst gear I have tried are Mt Hardware, pc of crap, cant get hands into the pockets and they are just not comfortable...$75 wasted there. I have a pair of Under Armour that are comfortable but dont dry like the TNF.

Bird Dawg
07-11-2015, 09:08
Love the REI Sahara convertibles. They are lightweight and dry quickly. The legs can be zipped off without having to sit down and pull them over your shoes. Mine have cleaned up pretty well, too. Just be sure you pack an extra button for the waist in case that pops off.

ryjohnson09
07-11-2015, 10:03
I've only tried out 2 or 3 different pairs...but I really enjoy my current pair of Prana Zion Stretch convertibles. Took them out in 30 degree as well as 90 degree weather, highly recommended!!

http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Mens-Stretch-Convertible-32-Inch/dp/B004QQ5LEO

Walkintom
07-11-2015, 10:13
After trying a few different options I've settled on the OR Equinox Convertible pants. They fit me well and have all the options I need, like elastic drawstrings at ankles for my short legs, zippers that work well, a simple button closure on the waistband that is easy to work but stays snapped even when I'm off-trail fat, and the lifetime guarantee that means I'm not re-spending repeatedly on them

BenOnAdventures
07-11-2015, 10:45
I've tried 4 or 5 different pants and have not found any better than the older TNF, it's a little heavier than some but drys fast than most. The worst gear I have tried are Mt Hardware, pc of crap, cant get hands into the pockets and they are just not comfortable...$75 wasted there. I have a pair of Under Armour that are comfortable but dont dry like the TNF. Thank you that's much appreciated! Love the insight

BenOnAdventures
07-11-2015, 10:45
I've only tried out 2 or 3 different pairs...but I really enjoy my current pair of Prana Zion Stretch convertibles. Took them out in 30 degree as well as 90 degree weather, highly recommended!!

http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Mens-Stretch-Convertible-32-Inch/dp/B004QQ5LEO Sweet, thank you for the link!! I'll check em out!!

BenOnAdventures
07-11-2015, 10:46
Love the REI Sahara convertibles. They are lightweight and dry quickly. The legs can be zipped off without having to sit down and pull them over your shoes. Mine have cleaned up pretty well, too. Just be sure you pack an extra button for the waist in case that pops off. Thanks I'll keep that in mind!

Coffee
07-11-2015, 10:48
Love the REI Sahara convertibles. They are lightweight and dry quickly. The legs can be zipped off without having to sit down and pull them over your shoes. Mine have cleaned up pretty well, too. Just be sure you pack an extra button for the waist in case that pops off.
+1. lasts over 1000 miles at least. On second pair now with 900 miles of use. Still looks new.

jimmyjam
07-11-2015, 11:40
REI Saharas. Got a pair with over 1,000 miles only a small tear in one knee where I fell. Great pants, love the pockets.

Vegan Packer
07-11-2015, 12:17
I've been using the Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants. They are about two ounces lighter than the REI pants. Also, I just popped over to the REI page to check out the Saharas. Most of the reviews on those pants are not favorable. It is possible that they used to be better, and then they changed something that has given rise to many complaints.

I can't say that I love the Columbias. The fabric is okay, but it feels like a super lightweight, artificial fabric. It works, but it doesn't feel fabulous against the skin. Storage and pockets are good on these pants. The pants are durable enough and light enough.

jdc5294
07-11-2015, 13:33
Rumney shorts. They're expensive but they last forever and dry obscenely fast. I went commando in them the whole way and was in heaven.

ccartertn
07-11-2015, 14:10
I have been happy with Magellean convertibles from Academy.

ccartertn

BenOnAdventures
07-11-2015, 14:22
I'd like to thank all of you for your help!! I'm still debating which ones to get but I'm leaning towards the Columbia or RIE pants. Tough choices, I feel biased though since I like Columbia a lot personally.

Feral Bill
07-11-2015, 14:27
Marmot Scree pants. Stretchy, not floppy. Comfortable. The suggestions above are also good, as are many others. Take your pick. It's not a super critical item.