PDA

View Full Version : Budgeting for a good pack.

Cedar1974
07-11-2015, 10:22
I have a large Army Surplus ALICE pack with frame, and a classic exoframe pack I found a Salvation Army. These are good for car camping needing minimal walking, but if I plan to do any serious hiking, I need a much better pack. What is a good ammount to pay for a pack so I can start budgeting? I am thinking of getting a ULA Ohm 2.0 but if anyone can suggest a better and less expensive pack, I'm all ears.

Walkintom
07-11-2015, 10:30
If you're in that $200 range you have lots of options.

You can get a Kelty a bit cheaper, or a Klymit. Or lots of things, if you catch the right sale or pick it up in the used gear sales in the forums here or elsewhere.

Hikingmaddie
07-11-2015, 19:52
agree with 200$ as a safe bet to get lots of options. if you look through used gear sites you can sometimes find barely used bags in the 150 range. i just picked up an exos 58 personally, but it sounds like youre already looking for something a little lighter :)

Cedar1974
07-11-2015, 20:12
Well, I hear such good things about ULA and the Ohm specifically. I was considering getting a RIBZ pack for the front pockets, but the ULA belt pouches are almost as good size wise.

bigcranky
07-11-2015, 21:21
If you're looking at ULA, the safe bet would be the Circuit. It's not that much heavier and will carry better, IMHO.

If your base weight including the pack is down around 12 pounds or so, the Ohm is fine. (That means everything except food and water.) I found the original Ohm was great right up to 25 pounds; the Ohm 2.0 ought to be good to a few more pounds with the full wrap hip belt. But if I were regularly carrying 30 pounds out of town after a resupply, then the Circuit is a better choice.

Donde
07-11-2015, 22:27
ULA is fantastic. Don't know what your needs are as far Circuit v. Ohm 2.0, but I am selling a Circuit over in the used gear forum for $135.

Rex Clifton
07-12-2015, 08:12
My favorite packs are the Gossamer Gear Gorilla (~50 liters) and ULA Circuit (~60 liters). The Gorilla is the most comfortable pack I've ever worn, but maxes out at around 25 pounds.