PDA

View Full Version : Shelter fees?

Collin
07-11-2015, 10:34
So I have been reading some trail journals and some folks mention that some shelters have a $5 fee to stay in. I also heard that if you have a GMC membership you don't have to pay. I can't find any information on this on GMC's website. What are folks' experience? How much $ should a thru hiker bring?

magic_game03
07-11-2015, 12:46
It's been a decade so my info might be off, but as I remember there is only one or two GMC shelters that cost anything. Upper Goose Pond Cabin charges $5, but if you were low on funds you can always work out a 'work-for-stay' agreement.

Besides GMC (Green Mountain Club), there is two other popular clubs: AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) and DOC (Dartmouth Outing Club.) I don't think the DOC charges for anything anywhere but the AMC charges almost everywhere, and it's not cheap.

Jeff
07-11-2015, 13:46
The southern 105 miles of the Long Trail has 3 pay shelters:

Little Rock Pond Shelter
Peru Peak Shelter
Stratton Pond Shelter

There is a $5 fee when the caretaker is present. They are usually staffed in July, August, September.

If you pay the $5 at the first shelter and keep the receipt, the other two are free.

In the above post Magic referenced Upper Goose Pond Shelter. That one is in Massachusetts and does not charge but accepts donations especially when the caretaker is present and making pancakes for the guests.

Dogwood
07-11-2015, 16:23
Since this is posted in the LT Forum I'll assume when thru-hiker is referenced it's a Long Trail Thru-hike. In that case, there are additional possible pay sites. From what all that I can recall there is Little Rock Pond, Griffin Lake(this may be the same as Peru Peak Area?), Stratton Pond, Skyline, Battelle, Montclair Glen, Humpbrook, Butler, Taft, and Sterling. If you don't have the do re mi in hand usually a caretaker on site will give you a slip to mail in your fee based on the honor system.

I wasn't aware if you saved the receipt the other two pay sites Jeff mentioned were free(included). THX Jeff.

Hey Jeff, what happens when a caretaker isn't on site? Does the fee sill apply at the sites you mentioned?

Starchild
07-11-2015, 18:51
Upper Goose Pond Cabin charges $5, but if you were low on funds you can always work out a 'work-for-stay' agreement. ...

Unless there is another upper goose pond cabin, that one is in MA, hosted by AMC and contractually required to provide a place of shelter for the AT hikers at no cost, though donations are accepted.

swisscross
07-11-2015, 19:39
All shelters should have a donation box.

Busky2
07-11-2015, 19:58

Word would get out and some locals or a down on their funds hiker will find this "ATM" of the woods just too tempting.

swisscross
07-11-2015, 20:52
Word would get out and some locals or a down on their funds hiker will find this "ATM" of the woods just too tempting.

people suck!

Jeff
07-11-2015, 21:15
Hey Jeff, what happens when a caretaker isn't on site? Does the fee sill apply at the sites you mentioned?

If no caretaker is present at the shelter, hikers do not pay. Lots of hikers stay for free in June since the caretakers do not start active duty until July 1st (or so). There are also times when the caretaker gets a day off and often there is no temporary replacement.

Jeff
07-11-2015, 21:15

If no caretaker is present at the shelter, hikers do not pay. Lots of hikers stay for free in June since the caretakers do not start active duty until July 1st (or so). There are also times when the caretaker gets a day off and often there is no temporary replacement.

Starchild
07-12-2015, 06:20

Could be done electronically and avoid the box of money in the woods issue (and the need to carry cash), like paypal but would need some verification that who you are sending it to is legit.

bigcranky
07-12-2015, 08:17
We carried several $5 bills leaving each town on the LT, but ended up paying for only one night, at Battell shelter (and we tented behind the shelter anyway). I'd make sure I carried a couple of fivers on each section.

I don't know about GMC members staying for free.

soilman
07-12-2015, 08:33
Green Mt club members receive no discount, at least I didn't back in 2013. The caretakers never told me about the receipt policy.

Deacon
07-12-2015, 08:35
Don't know if this has been said yet, but if you're a GMC member and pay at one shelter, keep the receipt, show it at the next shelter and you won't have to pay the 5 bucks.

Collin
07-13-2015, 00:32
Thanks for the replies. I'll be doing an end to end in August. I may just call GMC about the membership thing. Dunno if that is worthwhile though since it is $25 (I'm a student).

hikeandbike5
07-13-2015, 08:49
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

It's been a decade so my info might be off, but as I remember there is only one or two GMC shelters that cost anything. Upper Goose Pond Cabin charges $5, but if you were low on funds you can always work out a 'work-for-stay' agreement.
Upper goose pond isn't on the long trail, or under gmc jurisdiction, it's in a different state (massachusetts). There are more than one or two gmc shelters that charge (remember this is the LT forum).

The southern 105 miles of the Long Trail has 3 pay shelters:

Little Rock Pond Shelter
Peru Peak Shelter
Stratton Pond Shelter
Don't forget griffith lake! Not a shelter, but a tentsite that charges.

Don't know if this has been said yet, but if you're a GMC member and pay at one shelter, keep the receipt, show it at the next shelter and you won't have to pay the 5 bucks.
Not true. GMC members don't receive any discount on shelter fees. The receipt deal is open to everyone- if you pay the $5 fee at one of the paysites south of maine junction, you get a reciept that allows you to stay free at the other paysites south of maine jct within 7 days. Again, only valid at paysites south of maine junction, only valid within 7 days.

To the op, here is a list of all the overnight sites on the LT, and the paysites are indicated: http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=54

It's not hard to avoid the paysites if you'd prefer free camping options, however, the paysites are the best/most beautiful areas.

Collin
07-14-2015, 00:30
hikeandbike5 I can't believe I missed the parentheses on that site before. Thank you.

Deacon
07-14-2015, 05:41
[QUOTE=hikeandbike5;1987725]
Not true. GMC members don't receive any discount on shelter fees. The receipt deal is open to everyone- if you pay the $5 fee at one of the paysites south of maine junction, you get a reciept that allows you to stay free at the other paysites south of maine jct within 7 days. Again, only valid at paysites south of maine junction, only valid within 7 .[/

Slo-go'en
07-14-2015, 11:11
When I was a GMC caretaker, my pay was the overnight fees. People who skipped out paying made it harder for me to afford to eat!

Deacon
07-14-2015, 11:22
Looks like that receipt policy isn't good for the caretakers.

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2015, 14:01

I thought they called it a privy. :D

Grampie
07-14-2015, 15:02
Starchild- The cabin at Upper Goose Pons does not charge a fee to stay overnight. Donations are excepted to help defray the cost of providing pancakes and coffee for breakfast.

hikeandbike5
07-15-2015, 13:45
When I was a GMC caretaker, my pay was the overnight fees. People who skipped out paying made it harder for me to afford to eat!
A couple decades ago, yeah this was true. Nowadays gmc caretakers are paid a weekly salary. (I'm also a former gmc caretaker)

Slo-go'en
07-15-2015, 16:14
A couple decades ago, yeah this was true. Nowadays gmc caretakers are paid a weekly salary. (I'm also a former gmc caretaker)

Closer to three decades ago. Now your making me feel old...

Josh D
07-21-2015, 11:48

Just talked to the Griffith Lake / Peru Peak caretaker yesterday who said the policy of the caretakers taking home the overnight fees ended long ago. All caretakers are paid a fixed rate, so the policy of only paying for one shelter if you keep your receipt has no ill affect on the caretakers.