PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new lighter weight pack

misterfloyd
07-11-2015, 12:24
Hello,

It has become very apparent to me that I need a lighter pack. I currently have a large 65 Atmos. Great for winter. Also a problem with this pack. When I bought this 2 years ago I knew nothing about fitting, so I trusted a very well known outdoor supply chain to fit me. I was told I was a large. I have been measured 3 other times by others in this chain and was told I was a medium. I will go next week to see what can be done. But this is a different matter.

My base weight was for the summer about 16-18ish, but I packed WAY too much food so my total weight with water was around 30ish... to much.

I have looked at ULA, GG, Granite Gear, but have not heard anyone about six moons packs.

In looking at these packs, they all have load weights that cannot exceed 30 pounds of so. Is there any that can handle 35lbs after resupplying in towns, or if cameling up for a dry stretch

Any thoughts or suggestions, would be very helpful. What do you have? what works for you?

Thanks,
Floyd

jdc5294
07-11-2015, 13:31
Not sure what Granite Gear pack you were looking at, but I used a Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 the whole way and loved it, it's about a pound lighter then your Atmos. You should never go above 35 at any point on the AT no matter what anyone else tells you, and I never went above 25 or 27. Granted my base weight was 13, so maybe you should look at getting your base weight down a bit but that's another discussion. I also don't think the Blaze AC 60 would have any trouble going up to 35, if memory serves that's what it's rated to anyway.

bigcranky
07-11-2015, 21:24
The ULA Circuit is great up to 30 pounds and can handle more for a couple of days out of town, though it's not ideal for 35. I just got the new Zpacks Arc Haul, which they claim will handle 40, though I think the hip belt is too soft for that. It does handle 30 easily, though, and it's at least as comfortable as my old Circuit while being half a pound lighter. Both are very well made packs.

Donde
07-11-2015, 22:33
a ULA Circuit is fine coming out of town at 35 lbs. Also the ULA Catalyst is fine coming out of town at 40 maybe 45 for a day or two, if you are really worried about it. If this for the AT you really should never need to be past 35 unless you are doing some serious winter stuff (both for gear and that is the one time I have had water issues on the AT. Out west can be quite another thing with the water weight.

Odd Man Out
07-11-2015, 22:51
I have an Elemental Horizons Kalais. I believe it to be similar to the ULA packs. It is rated up to 35 lbs. I suppose I had it up that much last summer when I cameled up for a dry camp (plus I carried too much food). I carried great.

4shot
07-12-2015, 09:23
I cannot help you with the others..and it's a shame about the poor fit. But I am a huge fan of Osprey. why? Because of their lifetime guarantee. In fact, my pack is back at the Opsrey repair shop in Colorado. Now, it's been through a thru hike (AT), many other shorter hikes (AT and others), and a backpacking trip in Europe. It's been through more miles/trips than 98% of most packs will see. On my last trip, I noticed the stitching around the aluminum support piece was seperating. I wasn't upset because I knew that I had gotten a lot of use out of the thing (and it fit me perfectly).

I was searching for a replacement pack when I saw the lifetime guarantee on their website. I contacted them about my issue, got a return #, and shipped it back.Hassle free. If it is not repairable, they WILL REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE!!! How many companies stand behind their products like that??? In other words, if you buy an Osprey pack, you will have a pack for a lifetime. Again, maybe the others do this as well....but I will never buy another brand of pack. I have a 70L and have thought about getting a smaller pack for short/weekend trips. In this day and age of disposable products, i am greatly impressed by their belief and commitment to their product.

Legal disclaimer: I nor any member of my family are not affiliated with Osprey nor am I being paid for this post. Any reproduction of this post with the express written consent of the author is expressly forbidden. This post may not be valid in certain countries of South America or the European Union. In the event of an actual emergency, another post will follow.This post is not valid for readers under the age of 16 without written permission from their parents or legal guardians.

q-tip
07-12-2015, 09:23
+++ Granite Gear VC Crown. Best of my seven packs, 60 L, 2.2 lbs, not as comfortable as my old Vapor Trail, but it is my go-to pack...
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21920&uid=20935&d=1377263270
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=22022&uid=20935&d=1378041347

LuckyMan
07-12-2015, 09:59
The Gossamer Gear Mariposa can carry 35 pounds. I've been happy with mine, but it's bigger than I need; it has a huge volume I've never come close to filling. When it's time to get a new pack I'll probably get a smaller Gossamer pack or check out Zpacks; the other Zpacks items I've bought are excellent.

Venchka
07-12-2015, 10:52
Why is it that nobody ever mentions Zimmerbuilt packs in any of these discussions? It's always the same 4-5 companies. The packs from Seek Outside get very little mention as well. Just curious because both companies appeal to me.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

4shot
07-12-2015, 12:57
Why is it that nobody ever mentions Zimmerbuilt packs in any of these discussions? It's always the same 4-5 companies. The packs from Seek Outside get very little mention as well. Just curious because both companies appeal to me.

Wayne

never heard of either of them. Nor have I seen either on the trail. This is not to say they aren't good packs but....the reason you have of 4-5 is because they have stood the test of time and also because they are easily available. Hikers demand and depend on quality products. I have ordered a tent from the internet site unseen because a) the brand (Tarptent) was widely known and used on the AT and b) "fit" of a tent isn't critical for a typical size person. I do not know if I would buy a pack on without trying it on. In this regard, packs are like boots. A poor fit (see the OP) won't work, no matter what the brand name is.

Venchka
07-12-2015, 13:02
I agree about fit. Fit comes before weight in my book.
On the other hand, there are more than a small handful of backpacks on the market. Section Hiker has a lot of backpack reviews. Worth a visit. IMHO.

Wayne

Old Hiker
07-12-2015, 14:57
Osprey Volt 75 for me - fits well and I like it so well I bought a second as a back up.

bullseye
07-12-2015, 15:03
I used Granite Gear packs for years (AC 60 and Blaze 60) and referred them to everyone until I bought a ULA Ohm 2.0. You probably looking for a large pack than the Ohm (maybe a Circuit), but as far as packs go ULA is pretty sweet.

Wyoming
07-12-2015, 15:22
Another thing about the maximum weight rating.

Since people are so different one has to take this number with a grain of salt. What weight might seem very uncomfortable in a pack to one person might be fine to another. That is one reason why you get such different answers. The manufacturers have another reason to give a number. They will know from testing that if a hiker puts a certain weight in the pack for very long that they will start seeing structural failures of the pack. They do not want to get a rep for making equipment which fails so they give a number for max which is somewhat below where testing shows a high incidence of failure.

My previous pack was a Granite Gear which I often ran to its "weight" limit due to the needs for extra days of food and long water carries. I had the top of the shoulder strap tear loose from where it is sewed to the bag twice. That being said the pack got about 3000 miles on it before I retired it.

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 16:12
I really like my High Sierra pack, its light, durable, built in rain cover. It's great, I highly recommend it.

mml373
07-13-2015, 20:15
I cannot help you with the others..and it's a shame about the poor fit. But I am a huge fan of Osprey. why? Because of their lifetime guarantee. In fact, my pack is back at the Opsrey repair shop in Colorado. Now, it's been through a thru hike (AT), many other shorter hikes (AT and others), and a backpacking trip in Europe. It's been through more miles/trips than 98% of most packs will see. On my last trip, I noticed the stitching around the aluminum support piece was seperating. I wasn't upset because I knew that I had gotten a lot of use out of the thing (and it fit me perfectly).

I was searching for a replacement pack when I saw the lifetime guarantee on their website. I contacted them about my issue, got a return #, and shipped it back.Hassle free. If it is not repairable, they WILL REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE!!! How many companies stand behind their products like that??? In other words, if you buy an Osprey pack, you will have a pack for a lifetime. Again, maybe the others do this as well....but I will never buy another brand of pack. I have a 70L and have thought about getting a smaller pack for short/weekend trips. In this day and age of disposable products, i am greatly impressed by their belief and commitment to their product.

Legal disclaimer: I nor any member of my family are not affiliated with Osprey nor am I being paid for this post. Any reproduction of this post with the express written consent of the author is expressly forbidden. This post may not be valid in certain countries of South America or the European Union. In the event of an actual emergency, another post will follow.This post is not valid for readers under the age of 16 without written permission from their parents or legal guardians.

I'm struggling with figuring out whether to stick with an Atmos 65 AG, and what size, or to go with the Exos 58 (medium) I've been using so far.

I'm taking a Small Atmos 65 AG out this weekend... I do like that it is more substantial than the Exos. That said, I carried 38 pounds in the Exos on a recent 2-day trip with no problem except for a sore bum where the hip belt was. I think I may need a Small size...not medium.

Venchka
07-13-2015, 22:44
Sounds like you need a professional fitting and a variety of packs. For every pack loved by many there are people who hated the same pack.

Wayne

4shot
07-14-2015, 06:45
I'm struggling with figuring out whether to stick with an Atmos 65 AG, and what size, or to go with the Exos 58 (medium) I've been using so far.

I'm taking a Small Atmos 65 AG out this weekend... I do like that it is more substantial than the Exos. That said, I carried 38 pounds in the Exos on a recent 2-day trip with no problem except for a sore bum where the hip belt was. I think I may need a Small size...not medium.

as was said above, go to a good outfitter and get fitted. My advice on which pack to get is opposite of what most will tell you. Prevailing wisdom will tell you to buy the smallest pack so as to avoid "filling it up". I go with the large pack (and avoid filling it up) because here are a few times when I do need the extra volume. I can put 45L in a 70L pack but I cannot get 70l into a 45L pack. Keeps me from buying (and storing) multiple packs.

Hangfire
07-14-2015, 20:48
I was regularly over 30 with my Zpack (60l) which I carried the entire trail last year. I will admit that the straps were wearing thin towards the end but they held up all the way to the top of Katahdin. When I got home I sent it in to Zpack and they made repairs to all holes and worn straps replacing the shoulder straps with the newest style all at no cost.

Cobble
07-15-2015, 01:51
Ospreys are just heavy. I lugged my 5 pound external frame 2000 miles out of shear stubborness. 4 pounds of Osprey just doesn't sound nearly as good as 1-2 pounds regardless of a lifetime warranty IMHO.

Currently looking at the OHM, Crown 60, Arc Blast, and Mariposa for a PCT thru which I need 30-35 max. carrying ability and 50-60 liters, which sounds like what you're looking at. (If I'm off on my thoughts plz let me know.)

ccartertn
07-15-2015, 08:05
Ospreys are just heavy. I lugged my 5 pound external frame 2000 miles out of shear stubborness. 4 pounds of Osprey just doesn't sound nearly as good as 1-2 pounds regardless of a lifetime warranty IMHO.

Currently looking at the OHM, Crown 60, Arc Blast, and Mariposa for a PCT thru which I need 30-35 max. carrying ability and 50-60 liters, which sounds like what you're looking at. (If I'm off on my thoughts plz let me know.)
My Osprey Exos 48 weighs only 2lbs 8ozs.

ccartertn

hikernutcasey
07-15-2015, 10:38
My Osprey Exos 48 weighs only 2lbs 8ozs.

ccartertnI second this. Not all Ospreys are heavy. I have the Exos 58 and without the lid it weighs 38 ounces. It is however super comfortable and my favorite piece of gear I own. I highly recommend it.

mPalozzola01
07-17-2015, 00:02
I don't see anyone suggest it and I don't know why.. if u have and like the atmos 65 ... but want something smaller why don't you get the atmos 50??? That's the pack I have for my at thruhike I'm planning. I got the 50 because I will fill the 65 if I get the 65. I back osprey so if u want something lighter still then the exos is almost half the weight. The 48L M is 1.9lbs I believe or is it 2.2.... same **** as it's not 4 which is the 50L M atmos

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

brianb2
07-17-2015, 14:43
Granite Gear Virga. 2yrs and lots of miles and I love it. You'll want to drop your base weight though. 30lbs is too much.
Love the look of the zimmerbuilt packs. Thoughtful designs and I love the ability to customize.

illabelle
07-17-2015, 14:48

You get a "like". :)

Cobble
07-18-2015, 12:08
Wow...I was wrong...sorry. Looking seriously at the Exos now.

Heliotrope
07-22-2015, 21:06
I love the gossamer gear gorilla. Solid and light. Excellent compression system.

4shot
07-29-2015, 20:17
I just got my pack back from Osprey.Not only did they fix the problem that caused the return, they also made some other repairs which I had not pointed out. And replaced the hip belt (which was still functional but was showing signs of serious wear and tear). I did not expect this, I just thought that I would replace it when it decided to move on to the great trail in the sky.

Maybe it is a function of my age, but this kind of customer service is unheard of in this day and age. I will suggest again - if you are serious about getting outdoors and want a pack that may outlive you, this is a company that you should consider.