PDA

View Full Version : sobo in march?

kyhipo
11-21-2005, 10:40
Has anyone started up in baxter in march, just curious :-? ky

Mouse
11-21-2005, 11:03
I gather that Katahdin is not open then to any but parties properly trained and equiped for winter mountaineering.

Also I remember the tough time three hikers had starting NOBO in January. They snowshoed over the Smokies hauling their gear on a sled but were pretty much exhausted doing it. I gather none of the three finished. SOBO in March would be like that only more so.

Shutterbug
11-21-2005, 14:32
Mt. Katahdin isn't open for climbing until approximately June 1. I went up there in Mid-May of this year. The rangers said that the trail was too wet and that climbing would cause damage to the trial. My wife and I climbed as high as Katahdin Falls, but stopped out of respect for the trail.

In March, the low parts of the trail will be very muddy, the mountains will still have snow and the streams will be dangerous to ford (cold and high water).

Scaper
11-21-2005, 17:54
March in the mountians and lowlands of Maine is still winter. Expect over 3 feet of snow on the ground even in the lower elevations. Rivers and lakes will still be frozen over and snow covered. Snowstorms are common until mid april in the higher elevations.

kyhipo
11-22-2005, 09:14
well ok looks like the south then;) ky