PDA

View Full Version : Freshening up a used tent scent

linus72
07-11-2015, 14:28
So I am going to be lending out our old two person tent from time to time to friends who want to join us and don't wanna spend the money on a tent. No matter how long i air dry it in the sun/wind etc, it still has that 'lived-in' smell. i suppose its not terrible as my brother used it last weekend and didn't mention it. but its there. is there a fabric-safe air freshener out there i can put on it next time its on the clothesline? does febreze work or is there a special product for tents? thanks in advance.:D

Traveler
07-11-2015, 14:42
Try a little Fabreeze in it? If that does't work, get one of those pine tree thingy's from the car wash for cars that smell like tents :D

yerbyray
07-11-2015, 15:17
Dryer sheets. Weigh nothing and occupy minimal space. I store my sleeping bag in a loose open bag with dryer sheets to give it a fresh smell.

Some folks even lace these in their shoulder straps to keep mosquitos away. I haven't ever tried but I have seen it used many times in that regard.

Walkintom
07-11-2015, 16:03
Set it up in the sun and mist the interior down with a spray bottle with 50/50 vinegar and water. That'll clear up some smells.

FlyFishNut
07-11-2015, 16:53
Mine had that sort of smell about it and I set it up on the patio in the sun and misted it inside/out with Lysol... seemed to help

Water Rat
07-11-2015, 17:41
...all of the above! Or, a variation. Just depends on how strong the smell might be.

theoilman
07-11-2015, 20:08
Set it up on a good sunny, dry day. Dust it inside with a small box of baking soda and leave up for the day. Vacuum or sweep it out or shake it out before putting it away.

linus72
07-11-2015, 20:33
those all sound good, thanks! i will throw a dryer sheet in for now, then try the others when i have a chance to set it up again in the sun