PDA

View Full Version : Tarp/Bivy or 1P Tent

troutalope
07-12-2015, 12:43
Hey Everyone,

Looking at options for a solo shelter. I currently hammock it up, but am thinking of going back to ground. I am a stomach/side sleeper and am one of the weird ones that find the ground more comfortable.

I mainly hike in PA, although I take trips to see family in Missouri and Arkansas. Most of the hiking is done during spring/summer/fall. That said....I am looking for a new shelter. I am looking at a few tents (Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 or Marmot Force 1P). I am also toying around with the idea of using my Warbonnet MamaJamba tarp and grabbing a MLD Bug Bivy. I have never used a bivy, but am intrigued by them. I am also looking at the Borah Bivy side zip. Looking for suggestions or other alternatives. I like to save weight where I can, but I am not super picky if something is a few ounces over the other.

Steven

Dochartaigh
07-12-2015, 15:03
Don't forget companies like TarpTent, LightHeart Gear, and Six Moons Designs (amongst others).

deerdog
07-12-2015, 16:00
Six moon solo is my favorite .

Venchka
07-12-2015, 16:49
You going to change clothes in a bivy? You going to read a book waiting out a storm in a bivy? Some folks can do it. They are usually the type of hiker who just use the bivy to sleep in in places with good weather and no bugs. The rest of us tend to prefer tents or maybe a good "mid".
By all means look at the offerings from the companies in post #2.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

OCDave
07-12-2015, 17:09
As you already have the tarp, it seems like starting there would be a reasonable choice. You could certainly fashion some form of bug protection out of a $25 mosquito net for a temporary trial. A tarp with a Hammock or tarp while on the ground would be a minor shift.

Malto
07-12-2015, 18:23
If you are hiking in all four seasons then a solomid style tarp used with either a bug inner or bivy may be the Most flexible solution especially if used with a quilt. You can use one, both or no pieces depending on the conditions.

nsherry61
07-12-2015, 18:37
I vote for experimenting with the tools you already have on hand. Tarps are great! They're simple, light, flexible, affordable and they make you cool because they show you're tougher than those pansies that need a little portable house to live "outside" ;-)

I actually find tarping easier (with a little practice), more fun and more connected with nature for me. One of the reason's I'm outside is to connect more with nature. I love being able to watch and feel a good storm blow through while safely ensconced under my tarp. . . that being said, when the bugs are really bad, it really is nice to be able to escape them with a bit of room to move around and be comfortable. . . and, when going with others, my wife and/or brother-in-law, for example, are more comfortable in tents. My kids seem to like tarps like me. You gotta play and give tarps a chance. If they don't work for you, think about a two person ultralight tent for a bit more room (not much more weight) and the option of a friend, especially in bad weather.

Busky2
07-12-2015, 22:24
Six moon solo is my favorite .

big +1 on the solo

Franco
07-12-2015, 22:38
trotaloupe,
take a look at my Tarptent Pro Trail set up clip.
It is a shaped tarp but fully enclosed with a floor too.
Can be stuffed like a tarp but I suspect would be easier and faster to set up for most, it is for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lLF6l-5BPs
Add the weight and cost of tarp/guylines/stakes/bivy (and possibly a ground floor) and you will find that something like the ProTrail is very competitive.
franco@tarptent

troutalope
07-13-2015, 13:10
Thanks guys,

I ended up getting a stupid good deal on a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 that I could not pass up. That may be my summer set up when the bugs are bad allowing me to change and have a little more freedom when the skeeters are in full force. I am going to keep my tarp and give a bivy a try as well...hopefully pick one up around the holidays. TarpTent Notch has caught my eye. I love the fact that there are two doors/vestibules. If the Big Agnes does not work out, or I want to try something different I may give that a go!